The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Updating the Y-Wing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Updating the Y-Wing Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:
1. Use the existing equipment. Maybe the launchers are not ordnance-specific, at least within that brand or class. Maybe Krupx designs all of their missile/torpedo/bomb housings to fit one launcher, for instance.

That's actually part of my Starfighter Combat System, where the most advanced warhead launchers available are the Multi-Warhead Launchers, which incorporate a launch tube and a bomb chute fed by a single rotary magazine that can hold and fire anything from concussion missiles to proton torpedoes to bombs. This is what is fitted to the TIE Bomber and the various ordnance-equipped TIE prototypes. I decided to pass on fitting them to the Y-Wing because I felt that having the two separate launchers was more in-line with the Alliance's lower tech availability. A multi-warhead launcher might be what they would prefer, but because they are the Alliance, they go with what they have.

Quote:
3. We know that the A4 version itself has more than one variant (standard A4 and the A4 Longprobe, for example). The A4 only has one organic crew member, and this frees up the space where the copilot/gunner was. In the Longprobe, this is used to hold more consumables, a nav computer, and at least some of the components required by the backup hyperdrive. If Koensayr left all of that stuff out, they could easily swap in a huge ordnance package and delivery system; bombs on bombs on bombs. This idea really appeals to me, but I hate that to make the Y-wing more of a bomber, we (in this example) would be getting rid of the weapons officer, which would seem to be counterproductive/counterintuitive.

This was actually part of my explanation for how they managed to fit the navcomputer and extra consumables into the -A4, by removing the bomb chute and magazine from the -S3. And if you'll note from my stat, I actually kept the gunner, but made him a member of the crew with gunnery duties. That way he can do more than just operate the ion cannon; he can fire the proton torpedoes while the pilot is flying at All-Out, for instance.

Quote:
External racks/ordnance assemblies. There is a great deal of unused external space within the shape of the Y-wing; maybe the reason that the primary fuselage spar is so thin (in comparison to, say, the cockpit) is that it was designed for ordnance to be carried on either side of the fuselage directly behind the cockpit.
Zarn wrote:
Might one imagine a "backpack" or fannypack of sorts for a BTL-S3 variant that bolts over the central, squareish part and that provides some space for extra ordnance?

I already have an external pod system written up as part of my Starfighter Combat System. I didn't include it because it already felt like I was including enough information in what I did post.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
There's also shown in one source that the cockpit module of the BTL-S3 can detach from the main fuselage - perhaps one might bolt on an extension between the cockpit module and the main fuselage, possibly trading maneuverability (and maybe hull integrity) for an extra warhead launcher or bomb launcher? Similar to the hyperspace ring used by the Aethersprites?

I'm assuming this is from a comic book somewhere, as I haven't seen any reference to it in the sources I've used. I did include something similar on my version of the K-Wing, but that would be a next-generation bomber up from the Y-Wing.

Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Zarn wrote:
There's also shown in one source that the cockpit module of the BTL-S3 can detach from the main fuselage - perhaps one might bolt on an extension between the cockpit module and the main fuselage, possibly trading maneuverability (and maybe hull integrity) for an extra warhead launcher or bomb launcher? Similar to the hyperspace ring used by the Aethersprites?

I'm assuming this is from a comic book somewhere, as I haven't seen any reference to it in the sources I've used. I did include something similar on my version of the K-Wing, but that would be a next-generation bomber up from the Y-Wing.

Looks like this feature was depicted in the Holiday Special: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Y-wingdetach.JPG.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible for the launchers to simply rotate down 30-45 degrees? In the Rogue Squadron and Battlefront 2 games, the Y-wing's bombs had a bit of an arc when launched.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
Would it be possible for the launchers to simply rotate down 30-45 degrees? In the Rogue Squadron and Battlefront 2 games, the Y-wing's bombs had a bit of an arc when launched.

Under what I've got for an ordnance system, I'd be more likely to pass that off as guided torpedoes being fired against a surface target. The cut-away drawing in the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook shows a down-angle, but the drawing is lacking in details, and what details there are make things even harder to figure. For example, there seems to be no mechanism for the torpedoes from the magazine to actually load into the launchers.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Zarn wrote:

Looks like this feature was depicted in the Holiday Special: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Y-wingdetach.JPG.

I'm not feeling it. If it was up behind the cockpit, I might pass it off as a detachable cockpit in place of ejection seats.

And if it were an insertable module, the Y-Wing in the source video game would have a different profile, which it doesn't...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I had always intended to add to the bomb chute was a 2D Auto-Fire rating that fired 4 bombs in a burst. The internal mechanism used is a rotary main magazine that feeds bombs into a 4-round ready tube, which can then be fired within a fraction of a second. The bomb chute itself uses a gravity pressor field to impart velocity and a stabilizing spin to the bombs, and can also set the bombs to a variety of potential drop patterns, maximizing damage (time-on-target), accuracy (dispersed, yet overlapping to maximize catching the target in at least one blast radius), or multiple targets.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of like the stream of bombs coming out from the Ywings in the starwars Battlefront game?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Sort of like the stream of bombs coming out from the Ywings in the starwars Battlefront game?

Yes, but also like jets dropping strings of bombs in a single bombing run.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm working on a couple new Y-Wing variants, combining features of both the Y-Wing Longprobe and my Firelight FAC Y-Wing. I've never been all that fond of what WEG did with the Longprobe, and my experiences living in confined spaces as a truck driver have made me even less enamored at the prospect of spending 15 days in a box in space, with nowhere to even go to the bathroom. I'm not suggesting getting rid of the Longprobe entirely, but seeing as how it's modified from the standard Y-Wing, I would suggest that a larger platform like the Incom Sleuth would be a better option for a long range scout.

What I'm picturing is two variants:
    1) A Pathfinder Variant, with the the Longprobe's sensors and nav computer, but with only 1 week of Consumables. This version would be used to provide navigation, sensors and target designation support to Y-Wing units, as well as to larger, mixed-type formations.

2) A Defense Suppression Variant, with the Longprobe's sensors, but mounting a Fire Control Jamming package that could be shared with other ships in close formation. Its proton torpedo launchers would be loaded with decoys and haywire torpedoes, used to disrupt enemy fire control and degrade sensor and targeting systems.

I picture a Y-Wing squadron being organized with eight of the fighter/bombers I posted above (organized into two flights of 4), with a third flight composed of two Pathfinders and two Suppressors (two elements of 2).

For a squadron strike, I see the Pathfinders doing the nav calculations, then standing off at around 70-80 units and designating targets for the rest of the strike, while the Suppressors would fly in the lead of the strike, engaging enemy defensive weaponry and sheltering the strike ships with its Fire Control Jammers.

Stats are in the works.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Wing Vanguard Pathfinder Starfighter

The Y-Wing Vanguard is modified from the standard Y-Wing Fighter/Bomber to serve as a pathfinder vessel in support of other Y-Wings. It features much more powerful sensors, along with the ability to designate targets for other starfighters. In addition, it is one of the few starfighters to be equipped with an integral navigation computer, as well as terrain following sensors that aid in navigation at low altitudes. As such, Vanguards commonly operate by leading strike groups to the target, then stand off to designate targets from a distance.

Craft: Koensayr BTL-A5 Y-Wing
Type: Pathfinder Starfighter
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Length: 16 meters
Skill: Starship Piloting: Y-Wing
Crew: 2 & 1 Astromech Droid (can coordinate)
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 4D+2
Gunnery 3D+2
Piloting 5D+1
Shields 3D
Sensors 4D+2
Cargo Capacity: 110 kg
Consumables: 5 days
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 2D
Space: 7 (3D+2)
Atmosphere: 350; 1,000 kph
Hull: 4D
Shields: 1D+2
Sensors:
Passive 40 / 0D
Scan 60 / 1D
Search 80 / 2D
Focus 4 / 3D
-Terrain Following Navigation Sensors: +2D to Piloting for Terrain Rolls at Low Levels.
-Target Designation: Can share targeting data with other starfighters. On a successful Lock-On, friendly starfighters add +2D to Fire Control when attacking a designated target.
-Data Sharing: Can share navigation data with other ships. In game terms, friendly ships operating with a Pathfinder may take advantage of its Terrain Following Sensor bonus if following its course. They may also follow it on a hyperspace jump by using its navigation calculations.
Weapons:
2 Laser Cannon (Fire-Linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Range:
--Space: 1-3/12/25
--Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 5D
2 Light Ion Cannon (Fire-Linked)
Fire Arc: Turret*
Crew: 1 (if operated by co-pilot)
Fire Control: 3D
Range:
--Space: 1-3/7/16
--Atmosphere: 100m/300m/700m/1.6km
Damage: 4D (ionization)
*If fired by the pilot, this weapon is Fire Arc: Front @ Fire Control of 1D.
2 Warhead Launchers
Rate of Fire: 1
All Other Stats vary by Weapon Type
Capacity: 4 rounds per launcher. May select any Weapons from this list, depending on Availability.
1 Heavy Ordnance Hardpoint
Capacity: 1. May select any Weapon from this list, depending on Availability.
Note: Any carried weapon applies a penalty of -1 Space (-20 Atmosphere) and -1D to Maneuverability and Hull.

House Rule Notes:
    SHIELD & SHIELD CONTROL: 1D+2 @ 1D
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 2D Flight

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:48 pm; edited 12 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Wing Hawkbat Defense Suppression Starfighter

The Y-Wing Hawkbat is modified from the standard Y-Wing to engage and destroy enemy air defenses, either on its own or as part of a larger strike. Easily one of the most hazardous missions in the Alliance Starfighter Command, defense suppression is also a vital one, increasing the effectiveness of other strike craft by allowing them to survive long enough to deliver their ordnance.

Hawkbats are commonly equipped with advanced Haywire torpedoes that are particularly effective against electronic systems, as well as powerful jamming systems that disrupt enemy fire control. A common tactic for Hawkbats is to expose themselves to an enemy target and wait for the target to activate its defensive and sensor systems. Once this occurs, the Hawkbat will fire its Haywire torpdoes at critical targets such as sensor nodes or guidance systems, then engage its jamming systems and go evasive to break any sensor locks.

It is also common for Hawkbats to operate in close formation with other Y-Wings on a strike mission, providing jamming support during attack runs.

Craft: Koensayr BTL-S4 Y-Wing
Type: Defense Suppression Starfighter
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Length: 16 meters
Skill: Starship Piloting: Y-Wing
Crew: 2 & 1 Astromech Droid (can coordinate)
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 3D+2
Gunnery 4D+2
Piloting 5D+1
Shields 3D
Sensors 4D+2
Cargo Capacity: 110 kg
Consumables: 5 days
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1
Nav Computer: 10 jumps (Astromech)
Maneuverability: 2D
Space: 7 (3D+2)
Atmosphere: 350; 1,000 kph
Hull: 4D
Shields: 1D+2
-Fire Control Jamming: -1D to enemy Fire Control in All Arcs or -3D in One Arc. Applies to other starfighters flying in close formation with the Hawkbat.
Sensors:
Passive 40 / 0D
Scan 60 / 1D
Search 80 / 2D
Focus 4 / 3D
Jamming: +2D to all Sensor Jamming rolls.
Weapons:
2 Laser Cannon (Fire-Linked)
Fire Control: 2D
Range:
--Space: 1-3/12/25
--Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 5D
2 Light Ion Cannon (Fire-Linked)
Fire Arc: Turret*
Crew: 1 (if operated by co-pilot)
Fire Control: 3D
Range:
--Space: 1-3/7/16
--Atmosphere: 100m/300m/700m/1.6km
Damage: 4D (ionization)
*If fired by the pilot, this weapon is Fire Arc: Front @ Fire Control of 1D.
2 Warhead Launchers
Rate of Fire: 1
Capacity: 4 rounds per launcher. May select any Weapons from this list, depending on Availability.
Note: Because of its mission, the Hawkbat is commonly equipped with Ion Torpedoes. Hawkbats have also been known to make use of Sensor Probes and Decoys to spoof enemy defenses without drawing attention to themselves.
1 Heavy Ordnance Hardpoint
Capacity: 1. May select any Weapon from this list, depending on Availability.
Note: Any carried weapon applies a penalty of -1 Space (-20 Atmosphere) and -1D to Maneuverability and Hull.

House Rule Notes:
    SHIELD & SHIELD CONTROL: 1D+2 @ 1D
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 2D Flight

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:08 am; edited 10 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

-Terrain Following Navigation Sensors: +2D to Piloting for Terrain Rolls at Low Levels.
-Target Designation: Can share targeting data with other starfighters. On a successful Lock-On, friendly starfighters add +2D to Fire Control when attacking a designated target.
-Data Sharing: Can share navigation data with other ships. In game terms, friendly ships operating with a Pathfinder may take advantage of its Terrain Following Sensor bonus if following its course. They may also follow it on a hyperspace jump by using its navigation calculations.

Stat block cropped out.. On the targetting designation/data sharing. If the enemies have a jamming field up, do they still get to use this bonus?
Secondly, what would the diff be to hack INTO the datalink and either spoof it, or feed in bad data?
As far as it having a nav comp.. Where exactly would that be, since this is no larger than the standard Y wing, and still has the normal bells and whistles, and the extra space for the other stuff??

As for the hawkbat variant, again where is the space for the additions of the sensor jammer, along with the nav comp?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
On the targeting designation/data sharing. If the enemies have a jamming field up, do they still get to use this bonus?

I based it on the targeting system from the TIE/fc, which makes no mention of how jamming affects it. However, the RAW was pretty vague on jamming to begin with. I'm working on that as well. At this point, the impression I got from the TIE/fc is that it hits a target with its own sensor beam, but modulated in such a way as to create a stronger lock-on for another ship, or a clearer signal for that ship / weapon's own Fire Control, if they aren't using Lock-On.

I'm working with the theory that Comm-Scan jamming and Fire Control jamming require two different systems, and that one can't jam the other. This is primarily because the jamming rules I'm coming up with use a ship's sensor dice (with Scale modifiers added in) to calculate jamming strength. A capital ship that could jam fire control at full strength with its scale modifier added in would be almost impossible to hit.

Quote:
Secondly, what would the diff be to hack INTO the datalink and either spoof it, or feed in bad data?

Based on the listed Difficulties for the Communications skill, I'd go with Very Difficult just to break the code, not to mention the difficulty of actually being able to intercept the transmission in the first place. The nav data sharing would be used for surprise strikes, where a Vanguard is maneuvering down a canyon or something of a similar nature en route to the target. As it flies down the canyon, the terrain following sensors map the route, which is then encoded and burst transmitted to the other starfighters following along in the Vanguard's wake.

So, to break into the transmission loop, an enemy would have to a) know they were coming, and where from, b) successfully intercept and record a directional transmission, c) successfully decode the transmission and identify its contents as navigation data, d) successfully generate falsified data that appears realistic, and e) successfully transmit this data into the loop in such a way that it completely overrides the data coming from the Vanguard.

IMO, by the time all that even comes close to happening, the Y-Wings will already be over their target, blowing things up. And future attacks will use different codes and occur in different locations. I expect the defenses at targeted locations will be able to piece together what happened after the fact, but there just won't be enough time to do anything about it while the attack is under way.

Quote:
As far as it having a nav comp.. Where exactly would that be, since this is no larger than the standard Y wing, and still has the normal bells and whistles, and the extra space for the other stuff??

As for the hawkbat variant, again where is the space for the additions of the sensor jammer, along with the nav comp?

For the Vanguard, the nav computer would be where the bomb chute and magazine were on the stock Y-Wing that I posted on the previous page.

For the Hawkbat, that's a typo. It's supposed to only have an astromech, with only the Vanguard variant having a nav-comp. The Fire Control Jammer would replace the bomb chute on the Hawkbat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: