The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stealth Shields
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Stealth Shields
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Stealth Shields Reply with quote

I've used these for a few of my stat conversions as a relatively inexpensive way to incorporate stealth capability into an existing ship, but it has been much more of a sci-fi-magic handwave than having any clear concept of the tech's limitations. Here's what I've got in mind, using the Ship Upgrade chapter from GG6:

Stealth Shields
Cost:
--1D = 8,000
--2D = 20,000
--3D = 40,000
Availability: 3, R
Weight:
--1D = 12 tons
--2D = 16 tons
--3D = 20 tons
Game Use:
Uses same rules as Energy Shields, but the dice is applied to the Difficulty of Sensors attempting to Detect and/or Identify the Shielded Ship.
Restrictions:
-Can not defend against both attacks and sensors simultaneously, only one or the other.
-Transitioning between Stealth and Defense modes requires one round for the shield generators to reconfigure. During this round, the shields provide no protection of any kind.
Capsule: Stealth Shield Generators are a relatively inexpensive method of providing ships with a basic stealth capability. Since stealth has commercial applications for scouts, stealth shields are actually available to the civilian market, albeit under heavy restrictions. Their main drawback is that, unlike more expensive systems like the Sensor Mask, Stealth Shields can not provide both stealth and protection simultaneously. Still, this technology is useful in a variety of military and commercial scouting applications. Naturally, of course, stealth shields are also available on the black market for the right price.
Note: These prices and weights are for Starfighter-Scale Space Transports only. Capital-Scale Generators use the same Weight & Costs x 20.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEcause of the tactical advantage stealth ships give, i would think the empire would heavily restrict who could get these, even to the point of them being X rather than R... BUT other than that, the restriction of "can't get a benefit to weapons if being in stealth mode" and takes a round to switch over, seems ok for now.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
BEcause of the tactical advantage stealth ships give, i would think the empire would heavily restrict who could get these, even to the point of them being X rather than R... BUT other than that, the restriction of "can't get a benefit to weapons if being in stealth mode" and takes a round to switch over, seems ok for now.

I agree.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which brings me to my next question; how widespread should these shields be? I can see a lot of situations where a regular warship of corvette, frigate or cruiser size would find the added stealth useful. Obviously, civilian ships wouldn't need them, but what military ships should?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see these at most being for military scouts or command vessels in larger scale engagements..
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I see these at most being for military scouts or command vessels in larger scale engagements..

What about space stations? For example put a couple of pre-fab bases together, fill them with long range passive sensors and stealthed probots and place them at the extreme outskirts of a system or along important hyperspace routes and monitor traffic.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too big imo.. Heck i couldn't even see these sorts of things on anything larger than a corellian corvette size ship. BUT then again many novels and other sources in SW lore shows 'cloaking devices' are massive power hogs and are hard if not impossible to create..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Scouts definitely, but any realistic rule would have the command ship putting out a lot of comm traffic that would make any stealth relatively ineffective...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Too big imo.. Heck i couldn't even see these sorts of things on anything larger than a corellian corvette size ship. BUT then again many novels and other sources in SW lore shows 'cloaking devices' are massive power hogs and are hard if not impossible to create..

I wouldn't go that far; these are intended to be an inexpensive (and imperfect) stealth option. A cloaking device, they are not. Don't forget, since these are stealth shields, they are subject to the same rules as shields, specifically, Fire Arc allocation. Even a 3D Stealth Shield projector can only put out a maximum of 3D to cover 4 different arcs.

Also, as far as ship size, I got the idea from the Skyblind, a scout ship from GG8, and the first ship I actually put it on was the Caravel, my recon-modified Carrack Cruiser stat. In other words, I've already put this equipment on ships much larger than corvettes...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: