The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

HWK-290 Scout/Courier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> HWK-290 Scout/Courier Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: HWK-290 Scout/Courier Reply with quote

In this episode of "CRMcNeill Fixes The EU", I'm taking on the HWK-290, aka the "Moldy Crow" from Dark Forces 2. It was brought up in this topic, where it highlighted the major inconsistencies between the ship as seen in the game and the "official" stats. What I've posted here is, IMO, more in line with the small combat vessel seen in the Dark Forces 2 cut-scenes, rather than the massive space transport envisioned by official sources. IMO, this ship makes an excellent alternative as a starting ship for a Brash Pilot character, rather than one of the more common (and cramped) starfighter types.

Enjoy...

HWK-290 Scout/Courier

Cross-Section Image

The CEC HWK-290 is an older model scout / courier that is still in common use throughout the galaxy. While it is not up to the standards of modern starfighters, it is well-armed, with enough speed and maneuverability to hold its own in the hands of a skilled pilot. It is designed to operate with two crew; one piloting while the other sleeps. To accomodate the crew for long trips, the HWK-290 is equipped with cramped accomodations in the nose, forward of the cockpit, complete with a small galley, a double bunk and a fresher stall.

The positioning of the crew quarters is one of the main weaknesses of the design, as it blocks the pilot's line of sight in the front arc. CEC compensated for this by installing an in-cockpit view-screen and holoprojector that serves as a forward display, but many pilots have chosen to upgrade their ships with a set of holo-scope goggles worn by the pilot. Whichever system is used, it is essential to safe operation of the ship, and several HWK-290's have been lost due to crashes caused when the sensors were off-line, as the pilot couldn't see an obstacle directly in front of his ship.

The HWK-290's cargo capacity is almost non-existent compared to other space transports, which limits it to the transportation of high-value cargo or priority message traffic. While it has been replaced in front-line military units, it is still found in service with regional governments and the Alliance.

Craft: Corellian Engineering Corporation's HWK-290
Type: Armed Scout / Courier
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Length: 19 meters
Skill: Starship Piloting: HWK-290
Crew: 1 & 1 Gunner
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 4D+2
Gunnery 4D
Piloting 5D+1
Shields 3D
Sensors 4D+1
Passengers: None
Cargo Capacity: 1 metric ton
Consumables: 2 months
Cost (Availability): 135,000 new (no longer available new), 75,000 used
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1
Hyperdrive Backup: x12
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 2D
Space: 7 (3D+2)
Atmosphere: 350; 1,000km/h
Hull: 3D+2
Shields: 2D
Sensors:
Passive 40/1D
Scan 60/2D
Search 80/3D
Focus 4/4D
Weapons:
2 Heavy Laser Cannon (Fire-Linked)
Fire Arc: Turret (Front if operated by Pilot)
Crew: 1 (Gunner or Pilot)
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 3D (1D if operated by Pilot)
Range:
--Space: 1-3/12/25
--Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 6D
1 Warhead Launcher
Fire Arc: Front
Crew: 1 (Gunner or Pilot)
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Rate of Fire: 1
All Other Stats vary by Weapon Type
Capacity: 6 rounds. May select any Weapons from this list, depending on Availability.
Special: The HWK-290's design blocks the pilot's view in the Front Fire Arc. This is compensated for by an in-cockpit hologram display or an after-market pair of holoscope goggles to allow normal operation. However, if the ship's sensors are disabled (or if the pilot isn't wearing the holo-scope goggles), all Piloting Difficulties increase by +10.

House Rule Notes:
    SHIELD & SHIELD CONTROL: 2D @ 1D
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 2D Flight

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:41 pm; edited 10 times in total
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tangentially relevant: This ship was also featured in the original Dark Forces however I'm not sure it was then identified as The Moldy Crow.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the access to the hyperspace storage for the 150 tonnes they can store?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it could barely fit 150 KG of cargo.. let alone 150 tons.
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this, if i run a more rebel focused game with templates i may steal this for the pilot (give 'em a choice). Does any one know if they ever statted the ship that replaced the crow ? (The Raven's Claw, it doesn't appear to even have a class name)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Exactly. As near as I can figure, Kyle's ship from Dark Forces 1 & 2 was supposed to be a Baudo-Class Staryacht, so the official information was more in line with that of a space transport than an almost-fighter. During game production, however, the ship morphed from a Baudo into what we now know as the Moldy Crow. Unfortunately, someone somewhere didn't get the memo, and stuck with the idea of the Moldy Crow still having capacity for 150 metric tons cargo, 6 months consumables and 6 passengers.

And the EU being the EU, it was accepted as fact by the Wookieepidiots.

This stat is an attempt to correct that.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedKnight wrote:
I love this, if i run a more rebel focused game with templates i may steal this for the pilot (give 'em a choice). Does any one know if they ever statted the ship that replaced the crow ? (The Raven's Claw, it doesn't appear to even have a class name)

Glad you like, and feel free to use as you see fit; that's what all my stats are posted here for. It's been a while since I've played a Brash Pilot, but I may stat one up and give him a HWK-290, then keep him on deck for later plays. I've looked at the Raven's Claw, but nothing about it has really piqued my interest yet. I prefer to game in the Classic or Early Republic Era, and the Claw is a little new and spiffy to fit in.

ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

If it were 150 kg then I'd point to the the lockers under the bunks. For the 1mt CRMcNeill has in his stats I'd guess the cargo area is in the very rear of the craft between the tails on the bottom. I figure a cargo platform lowers to the ground for loading/unloading.

If it's not there CRMcNeill will have to tell us where it's at.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with all the events in Dark Forces 1&2, my gripe would be with the proton torpedo launcher. On a scout/courier, I would instead have two concussion missile launchers with 2 missiles each (stock) with room for 2 more in each launcher for a total of 8 possible missiles. This is because this ship's main worry in 90% of combat situations is hostile fighters, thus it would need to defend against them a lot more often. Proton torpedoes are slower than some of the fighters out there.

If this ship was instead a gunboat-type ship of this size, I could imagine a laser turret addition, proton torpedo launchers and/or an ion cannon, but it's a scout/courier, which can be relied upon to punch through blockades, not take down a Dreadnought.

Of course there can be other configurations, but that's what I imagine the stock HWK-290 would look like.

EDIT: I would also place the concussion missile launchers with one in the front fire arc, and one in the read. Since this ship is slower than a fighter, being able to hit someone who is on your tail is important. You can also use tricks like Luke did in the original Thrawn trilogy to get a tractor beam launcher to lock onto a torpedo or missile, thereby destroying the tractor beam emplacement. Being able to shoot from the rear makes this maneuver easier.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Edited because in my drunken state, I replied to the wrong thread...]

Last edited by Raven Redstar on Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Crinya_Light_Freighter

I always liked the Crinya Light Freighter. Sort of a scaled down version of the big bulk transports leaving Hoth in ESB.

I think you wanted this other thread.

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6223
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Even with all the events in Dark Forces 1&2, my gripe would be with the proton torpedo launcher. On a scout/courier, I would instead have two concussion missile launchers with 2 missiles each (stock) with room for 2 more in each launcher for a total of 8 possible missiles. This is because this ship's main worry in 90% of combat situations is hostile fighters, thus it would need to defend against them a lot more often. Proton torpedoes are slower than some of the fighters out there.

A little background here...

I've got a lot of irons in the fire when it comes to SWD6 projects, but the goal I'm pursuing is a unified and integrated space combat system, with stats that match the WEG write-ups, uniform weapon stats and combat rules that draw from aspects of the video games (specifically X-Wing / TIE simulators) to make combat more exciting.

A big piece of that puzzle is my Advanced Starfighter Combat System, which includes a reimagining of the rules for missiles and torpedoes. A lot of my recent stats have incorporated these rules where possible. In this case, it refers to the following section of the above stat:
    All Other Stats vary by Weapon Type
    Capacity: 6 rounds. May select Torpedoes, Space Bombs or Decoys & Probes from this list, depending on Availability.

Short version, under the rules I've written, concussion missiles are lighter missiles that are particularly good in a dogfight, while proton torpedoes hit harder and have greater overall range. The other major difference is that proton torpedo launchers can carry and launch a greater variety of ordnance, including non-weapon projectiles such as decoys and sensor probes, which add greater versatility to a scout or courier. The fact that the cut-away from above included a proton torpedo in the picture just made it easier to justify including it.

Quote:
If this ship was instead a gunboat-type ship of this size, I could imagine a laser turret addition, proton torpedo launchers and/or an ion cannon, but it's a scout/courier, which can be relied upon to punch through blockades, not take down a Dreadnought.

Of course there can be other configurations, but that's what I imagine the stock HWK-290 would look like.

The reason I gave it twin heavy laser cannon was that, in its first scene in Dark Forces 2, the Moldy Crow takes out a TIE Bomber. With a 4D+1 Hull, the Bomber is one of the toughest TIEs in the WEG material, so the HWK-290 needs a weapon that can take it out. So, heavy laser cannon.

Quote:
EDIT: I would also place the concussion missile launchers with one in the front fire arc, and one in the rear. Since this ship is slower than a fighter, being able to hit someone who is on your tail is important. You can also use tricks like Luke did in the original Thrawn trilogy to get a tractor beam launcher to lock onto a torpedo or missile, thereby destroying the tractor beam emplacement. Being able to shoot from the rear makes this maneuver easier.

I considered it, and actually included just that when I re-statted the Sleuth-Class Scout, giving it the capability of deploying sensor buoys and space mines as well, but ultimately decided to leave it out of this ship to better represent an older, less capable platform. It still has ordnance delivery capability, but less versatile than other ships, thus part of why it is no longer in front-line service.

And remember, Luke's trick with the proton torpedo was done with the front-firing proton torpedo launchers on his X-Wing. The rear-firing proton torpedo launcher was mounted on the covert shroud freighter he used in The Last Command .

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
If it's not there CRMcNeill will have to tell us where it's at.

I actually picture it in the aft compartment, next to the stairs, behind the pilot's seat. I picture it mostly as an open space where cargo boxes can be stacked and secured with safety nets.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that "Heads up holo display since they can't see out the cockpit, if damaged (or pilots are not wearing the helmets) piloting diff is raised by +10).. :
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I like that "Heads up holo display since they can't see out the cockpit, if damaged (or pilots are not wearing the helmets) piloting diff is raised by +10).. :

That's the official explanation for why Kyle Katarn crashed the Moldy Crow while escaping from the Sulon Star crash. Notice Jan Ors was always wearing goggles, and always had them over her eyes while flying the Crow. Kyle didn't have them, so he couldn't see the rock outcropping in the Crow's path and crashed into it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: