The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

YT-1300 vs YT-1930: Compare and Contrast
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> YT-1300 vs YT-1930: Compare and Contrast
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: YT-1300 vs YT-1930: Compare and Contrast Reply with quote

In-universe, it seems that the YT-1300 freighter is the most popular light freighter around, with the Ghtroc 780 a close second. All well and good, but I'm more partial to the YT-1930; I basically think that it's the coolest-looking ship of the YT Series. What can I say, I got a thing for symmetrical spaceships and the YT-2000 looks meh to me.

Basically I want people who know the stats for both ships to compare the two and see which is "better." Yes, I know that that's a subjective standard without any concrete guidance, but I'm more interested in seeing people's opinions on the two ships rather than me trying to decide between the two ships. (And that's because I already decided that my lawyer-turned-smuggler character purchased a brand new YT-1930 for his start-up shipping company.)

So have at it, peeps. Smile
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall the 1930 has better performance. The downside being since it is newer the second hand market is not a saturated and therefore prices are higher. Also the 1930 is wider and could conceivably not fit in places the 1300 could. Finally also being newer the 1930 lacks the 1300's ubiquitous anonymity.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: YT-1300 vs YT-1930: Compare and Contrast Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
In-universe, it seems that the YT-1300 freighter is the most popular light freighter around, with the Ghtroc 780 a close second.

Not in my Star Wars Multiverse.

In my first campaign, the PC group had a modified YT-1300 because that was the only the light freighter ship we got with the first two 1e books. IIRC, we did move the cockpit to between the mandibles in the interest of symmetry. In the history of my game, PCs have never had another YT-1300 because I don't think everyone should have the same model of ship as Han Solo. That just seems corny to me. Sure they're still out there and appear in the adventures from time to time in the background or as the ships of contacts, competitors, enemies, and ships that even get stolen by PCs. But YT-1300s were never the regular PC ship after that first campaign (that ended with that ship's destruction).

Only one campaign had a PC-owned Ghtroc 720 and I think it was just because the player of the captain didn't really care and just said, "I'll just take that one." I don't know why I hate that ship so much. I guess it's just ugly and stupid-looking. It has very rarely even appeared in my game, belonging to an annoying competitor or minor comedic antagonist.

Man I loved Stock Ships when it came out (and still do). Probably the most common PC model has been the Lantillian GX1. I'm pretty sure the Long Shot has appeared as a PC ship in all of my campaign universes.

Sutehp wrote:
I'm more partial to the YT-1930; I basically think that it's the coolest-looking ship of the YT Series. What can I say, I got a thing for symmetrical spaceships and the YT-2000 looks meh to me.

I completely agree about the 1930 and 2000.

Sutehp wrote:
I want people who know the stats for both ships to compare the two and see which is "better." Yes, I know that that's a subjective standard without any concrete guidance, but I'm more interested in seeing people's opinions on the two ships rather than me trying to decide between the two ships.

Sorry, I can't help you there. For regular PC ships, they always have modified ships so the comparison of the stock ships never come into play. It's always about appearance and style. Many players like the 1930 so I've had a couple different PC ships of that model.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tend to give the groups a custom ship - at least when warranted. i suspect the 1300 is popular in the rim because its an older ship. by the time of the official end of the GCW i suspect the 1930 would have achieved that status. as to the Ghtroc-720.....dont diss the space turtle Whill ! that was the first ship any PC of mine ever got to captain (in a saga game admittedly).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well bouncing the 2 side by side.
1300 - 1930
Length, 26.7M to 35M. Win is dependent on what you are looking for. The 1300 can fit in some spots the other can't. BUT the size of the 1930 does give it an edge in WHAT it can store over the 1300.
Passengers 6 - 6 Even stevens
Crew 1, 1 can coordinate, gunners 1 = 2, no gunners listed as gunner is co-pilot. 1 pilot + 1 gunner = pilot and co-pilot/gunner.
cargo 100 metric tons - 200 metric tons win for 1930
Consumables 2 months - 4 months win for 1930
hyper drive x2 - x2 even stevens
back up x12 - x12 even stevens
Space 4 - 6 faster for 1930
Maneuverability none listed for 1300 - +1d+2 for 1930 win to 1930
Hull 4d - 4d even stevens
Shields none listed for 1300 - 2d for 1930 win to 1930
Sensors exactly the same even stevens.
YT1300 listed as having a single lazer cannon, but that has the EXACT same 4d dam, 2d fire control and ranges as the TWIN heavy laser cannon f the 1930 (someone screwed up there!!)..

Overall the 1930 has more 'wins'..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedKnight wrote:
i tend to give the groups a custom ship - at least when warranted. i suspect the 1300 is popular in the rim because its an older ship. by the time of the official end of the GCW i suspect the 1930 would have achieved that status. as to the Ghtroc-720.....dont diss the space turtle Whill ! that was the first ship any PC of mine ever got to captain (in a saga game admittedly).

Laughing Yes, the space turtle! I am so adding a group of D6 Space Alien's Hurshuka (anthropomorphic turtles) flying a space turtle to my game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, I do like the "space turtle" but what really annoys me is most illustrations of it erroneously put the engine wash at its rear when the 720's engines are actually located near the front of the ship by the cockpit like this:

Especially since the canon blueprint for the 720 shows that the rear of the ship consists of storage spaces, not engine banks.

Also, garkhal, thank you for the side-by-side stats comparison. That's just what I was looking for. With so many aspects of how the 1930 comes out on top, it's a wonder why the 1300 was more popular. Wookieepedia even lampshades it in the entry for the YT-1930: "Though some considered it to be the pinnacle of the YT-series, the YT-1930 never gained the following the older freighter design had."
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there's something wrong with the 1930 that makes it harder to modify unlike the 1300, which is very easy to modify?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Maybe there's something wrong with the 1930 that makes it harder to modify unlike the 1300, which is very easy to modify?

Nah, I doubt it. Both ships are designed by Corellian Engineering Corp, which uses modular designs in virtually all of their ships for the express purpose of being easy to modify. Being easily modified is a selling point for most (if not all) CEC ships, that's why they're so popular.

And regarding the 1930 specifically, there's nothing I've seen that said the 1930 was harder (or easier) than any other YT (or CEC ship in general) to modify.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
Overall the 1930 has better performance. The downside being since it is newer the second hand market is not a saturated and therefore prices are higher. Also the 1930 is wider and could conceivably not fit in places the 1300 could. Finally also being newer the 1930 lacks the 1300's ubiquitous anonymity.

Or it's infamy for those timid souls that romanticize Solo's exploits but don't commit to the rebellion.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
The Brain wrote:

Or it's infamy for those timid souls that romanticize Solo's exploits but don't commit to the rebellion.

Mentioning the Millennium Falcon's infamy reminds me of a scene I read in one of the Legends novels (I wish I could remember which one) where Leia and Han have to disguise themselves yet again, and Leia says that they can't take the Falcon with them. The conversation went something like this:

Quote:
Leia: Besides, if anyone sees a vainglorious smuggler type disembarking from a YT-1300, they're going to think "Han Solo."

Han (annoyed): Vainglorious?

Leia: Yes, vainglorious. Vain plus glorious. Go ahead, deny it.

Han: Well...I can't, really.

RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i swear thats from the Legacy of the Force series after Jacen tries to murder them with the Anakin solo's turbolasers.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the 1300 has tons of aftermarket parts vs the 1930. The 1300 might be the "Small Block Chevy" of the light freighter world.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
crazydanny1
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few of the YT line that I really like as NPC or PC ships. The 1930 is definitely one of them, but it's hard to work into a campaign if the story begins before the Battle of Yavin. My personal fav is the 2400 which I've used as my PC ship for as long as I care to admit.

Now here's my quandry with the whole timeline canon... The recent use of the 2400 in Rebels season 3 means that the 2400 is out well before Yavin. If CEC sticks with releasing their models in numerical order, the 1930 should have been out well ahead of the 2400 and way before Yavin. I know the new canon is re-writing all the sources, but still...

I'll go with the idea that CEC uses a modular design for cost-effectiveness and because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Overall, it I had to pick between the 1300 or the 1930, I'd go with the 1930 b/c it looks like a hotrod compared to it's "older brother". Performance-wise, I think if the character is willing to throw credits at it for modifications, go with the 1930 anyways.

http://swbloodlines.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Bloodlines_Wiki
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazydanny1 wrote:
There are a few of the YT line that I really like as NPC or PC ships. The 1930 is definitely one of them, but it's hard to work into a campaign if the story begins before the Battle of Yavin. My personal fav is the 2400 which I've used as my PC ship for as long as I care to admit.

Now here's my quandry with the whole timeline canon... The recent use of the 2400 in Rebels season 3 means that the 2400 is out well before Yavin. If CEC sticks with releasing their models in numerical order, the 1930 should have been out well ahead of the 2400 and way before Yavin. I know the new canon is re-writing all the sources, but still...

I'll go with the idea that CEC uses a modular design for cost-effectiveness and because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Overall, it I had to pick between the 1300 or the 1930, I'd go with the 1930 b/c it looks like a hotrod compared to it's "older brother". Performance-wise, I think if the character is willing to throw credits at it for modifications, go with the 1930 anyways.

Good, you also saw Rebels Season 3 and the recanonization of the 2400. But yes, the same thought occurred to me: if the 2400 existed at least 2 years before Yavin, then the Wookieepedia blurb about the 1930 coming out shortly after the Battle of Yavin is now Legends continuity and no longer canon. (I don't see any reason why CEC wouldn't create all their freighters in numerical order either.) Which pleases me because I like the 1930 best of all out of all the YT freighters and I can include the 1930 in my lawyer-turned-smuggler's past before 0 BBY without violating canon. A silly distinction, I know, but it still comforts me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: