The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Acrobatics in relation to combat?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Acrobatics in relation to combat? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Acrobatics in relation to combat? Reply with quote

Is there any advantage to putting dice into Acrobatics? I am not as well-versed in the RAW as some of you, so if high DC's in the skill confer some kind of advantage during combat (dodging/attacking/parrying etc.), I would like to know where to find the rules on it.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this in the Rancor Pit Conversions document "Galaxy at War" from the entry on Trianii:

Special Strength Skills:
Acrobatics: Time to use: One round. This is the skill of tumbling, jumping and other complex movements. This skill is often used in sports and athletic competitions, or as part of dance. Characters making acrobatics rolls can also reduce falling damage. The difficulty is based on the distance fallen.

Distance Fallen Difficulty Reduce Damage by:
3 - 6 Very Easy -2D
7 - 8 Easy -2D+2
9 - 12 Moderate -3D
13 - 15 Difficult -3D+2
16+ Very Difficult -4D
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though not official anywhere, i have also seen SOME DM's who allow someone to substitute Accrobatics for the Running skill when moving around a lot (like if say they are doing Free-running), or for certain types of dodges..
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes allow acrobatics in place of a defense roll if its appropriate based upon the narrative of the scene and the character concept.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I sometimes allow acrobatics in place of a defense roll if its appropriate based upon the narrative of the scene and the character concept.

That's probably where I'm headed, short of devising a dice pool or granting incremental bonuses...

Also, IMO Acrobatics should absolutely be a STR skill. Yes, acrobatics requires dexterity, but not in the sense that firing a blaster or swinging a lightsaber do.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can speak from experience. My daughter was a gymnast for nine years and in competition for four. When she left the sport at 13 1/2 she was a buff little beast with a six pack. Definitely strength but is also a lot of dexterity. Though, honestly, strength will get you pretty far.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, Acrobatics is an advanced skill with Strength and Dexterity prerequisites.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it being Either str Or dex. But one of the best HR's i did see in use for it, was where you couldn;t have your accrobatics HIGHER than your stamina score...
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alhough I would put Acrobatics under STR with no DEX prereq (Climbing/Jumping doesn't have a DEX prereq), I am hesitant to do so because messing with WEG's arrangement is a slippery slope. Granted, they do not mention Acrobatics in the 2ER&E rulebook at all, so it could just be a house-ruled skill which someone added somewhere, or perhaps it came along in one of the sourcebooks/supplements later. I'm not interested in going through them all to find out.

Anyway, pretty soon someone would be arguing that Running should also be a STR skill because professional runners are extremely strong, and it is this strength that wins them races, not their dexterity. If dexterity were all that were needed to win a race, jugglers would be winning Olympic medals left and right...
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running is used to successfully navigate obstacles without tripping. It's appropriately under Dex in RAW. In the game, the flat Move stats governs raw speed, and stamina governs not tiring out. Professional runners would be good at all three.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are now getting more to HR territory than official rules..
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Running is used to successfully navigate obstacles without tripping. It's appropriately under Dex in RAW. In the game, the flat Move stats governs raw speed, and stamina governs not tiring out. Professional runners would be good at all three.

Not disputing that, just postulating that an argument may exist for it, from a certain point of view.

I'd say running belongs as under DEX as Dodge does, but I do point out that it is a broader and more inclusive attribute than, say, TEC or STR.

Whill, do you have any thoughts on how to use Acrobatics in or in relation to combat? I can come up with ideas on my own but I want to know if anyone else has considered it first.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Whill, do you have any thoughts on how to use Acrobatics in or in relation to combat? I can come up with ideas on my own but I want to know if anyone else has considered it first.

In my game, Acrobatics is an Advanced skill with multiple attribute and skill prerequisites. The raw skill would be used for entertainment purposes, and to reduce falling damage as mentioned above. As far as combat, I let it be added to skills rolls if it is applicable to that skill attempt in that situation. I see it as often being very helpful for martial arts moves and dodge (acrobatic dodging is very cinematic). It could be applicable to regular brawling parry and melee parry in some situations. I can see it helping jumping and even running if there are obstacles to be avoided (but that's not just in combat). If a bonus of full Acrobatics dice doesn't seem right then I also use "skill synergy" where the # of dice in a skill may apply as a bonus to another roll in pips (so Acrobatics 3D may give a +3 bonus). Is that the type of ideas you are looking for?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What skills and levels are needed to get that (A) skill?
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Error wrote:

In my game, Acrobatics is an Advanced skill with multiple attribute and skill prerequisites. The raw skill would be used for entertainment purposes, and to reduce falling damage as mentioned above. As far as combat, I let it be added to skills rolls if it is applicable to that skill attempt in that situation. I see it as often being very helpful for martial arts moves and dodge (acrobatic dodging is very cinematic). It could be applicable to regular brawling parry and melee parry in some situations. I can see it helping jumping and even running if there are obstacles to be avoided (but that's not just in combat). If a bonus of full Acrobatics dice doesn't seem right then I also use "skill synergy" where the # of dice in a skill may apply as a bonus to another roll in pips (so Acrobatics 3D may give a +3 bonus). Is that the type of ideas you are looking for?

Yes, that's perfect. I haven't yet decided whether to make it an (A) skill or not, but the ideas about cinematics playing a role and/or adding pips are great. But yes, overall, thank you for taking the time to type that up, it's very helpful.

Need to meditate on this, I do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: