The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Skill overload
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Skill overload Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Skill overload Reply with quote

After going through all 56 books and all 15 adventure journals finding all the different skill and dropping the vague (weapons repair) and reduntend (string musical instrument keeping musical instrument operation) and adding a few of my own (pod racer piloting/repair/ engineering) I have 264 skills before ANY specializations. My plan was to create 100 character templates and 100 NPC templates (not includind stormtroopers and other generic npc) that would contain all these skills. I have an idea how most of these skills will be passed out.

My main question is there any skill that anyone can think of that they would just throw out for any reason. Just curious.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in R&E, I question whether Rocket Pack Operation and Jet Pack Operation really need to be entirely separate skills.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Just in R&E, I question whether Rocket Pack Operation and Jet Pack Operation really need to be entirely separate skills.

I agree with you there, but what would the combined skill be called? Rocket/Jet Pack Operation? Flying Pack Operation? ("Flying Pack," that actually sounds a bit vulgar.)
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

I agree with you there, but what would the combined skill be called? Rocket/Jet Pack Operation? Flying Pack Operation? ("Flying Pack," that actually sounds a bit vulgar.)

I'd go with "Jet Pack Operation" and note that it includes Rocket Packs... partially because "Jet Pack" is in relatively common parlance.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

I concur. I combined them and Powersuit Operation as a character-scale mechanical skill called "Powersuit/Pack Operation".
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets worse. There is droid repair, droid programming, droid engineering, droid design, and droid construction. Not all repair skills have the rest (in the books), but they could. So any thing that can be repaired can be engineered, programmed (may be not so much this one), designed, and constructed. Things are getting a bit out of hand.
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Thruster Pack Operation
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
It gets worse. There is droid repair, droid programming, droid engineering, droid design, and droid construction.

Where are those last two from?
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droid design is from Crisis On Cloud City and droid construction was a world devastator skill from The Dark Empire Source book.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
It gets worse. There is droid repair, droid programming, droid engineering, droid design, and droid construction. Not all repair skills have the rest (in the books), but they could. So any thing that can be repaired can be engineered, programmed (may be not so much this one), designed, and constructed. Things are getting a bit out of hand.

For my part, I'd just fold droid engineering, droid design, and droid construction all into the same skill. They all seem like synonyms of the same thing. I'd just call this skill "droid construction," have any description of the skill include references to designing and engineering droids and leave it at that.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the "engineering" skills are (A). Any repair skill has a corresponding (A) skill. I would consider design and engineering to be the same - so starship design and starship engineering would be much the same.
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Skill overload Reply with quote

griff wrote:
After going through all 56 books and all 15 adventure journals finding all the different skill and dropping the vague (weapons repair) and reduntend (string musical instrument keeping musical instrument operation) and adding a few of my own (pod racer piloting/repair/ engineering) I have 264 skills before ANY specializations. My plan was to create 100 character templates and 100 NPC templates (not includind stormtroopers and other generic npc) that would contain all these skills. I have an idea how most of these skills will be passed out.

My main question is there any skill that anyone can think of that they would just throw out for any reason. Just curious.

Care to share the list?
I can think of several uses if only to be able to cull it and give as a handout saying here these are the skills for my games in one place.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
griff wrote:

For my part, I'd just fold droid engineering, droid design, and droid construction all into the same skill. They all seem like synonyms of the same thing. I'd just call this skill "droid construction," have any description of the skill include references to designing and engineering droids and leave it at that.

Me, too. I still consider Repair, Programming, and Engineering to be relatively distinct... someone can know how to fix the nuts and bolts without being a Droidwhisperer, and can be a Droid Whisperer without needing to know how to create a brand new droid.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one: Bowcaster. I don't see a particular need for it to be different, on the function end, from archery.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Another one: Bowcaster. I don't see a particular need for it to be different, on the function end, from archery.

This I'm not so certain about. I'm slightly inclined to fold bowcaster skill into blaster skill as they are both essentially blaster rifles (or appear to be blasters), but while their bolts looks the same, they don't use the same ammunition (if I understand bowcasters correctly) and, if TFA is any indication, bowcasters have huge recoil which makes them feel and act distinctly different from blaster rifles. Thus, I can see bowcasters being justified as a distinct skill from blaster rifles.

But bowcasters, while they might look like hi-tech crossbows, also are different from regular archery crossbows, the recoil being only one thing among several that make bowcasters distinct from crossbows. Thus, I can also see justification for bowcasters being distinct from the archery skill as well.

While it would be easier to fold bowcaster into archery, I can't justify it and would therefore leave the bowcaster skill as it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: