The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Favorite Era
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Favorite Era Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favorite era?
Old Republic
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Rise of the Empire
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Rebellion
71%
 71%  [ 30 ]
New Republic
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
New Jedi Order
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Legacy
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Force Awakens
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 42

Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Hell, I'm still hoping that Rebels will show us in a future season how the Rebels managed to get ahold of Incom's X-Wings.

My fingers are crossed that they're a prize captured by - and donated to the Rebellion from - Garm Bel Iblis. I want him recanonized somehow.
Ferrit
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess as the sole voice for the Old Republic era I should put forth the case. The grandeur and fragility of the time, a time of numerous conflicts from the planetary scale up to galaxy wide, is the core of the appeal for me. So many stories and adventures, so many possibilities.

Don't get me wrong, the rebellion and Empire eras are awesome, but the core of those stories have been played out on the big screen. We not only know the ending but the how of the ending, the heroes are not ours.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a long running game in the time period of around 200 BBY. I chose that time period (This was in 1994-1996) because so little was written about it. I ran it as a "republic in decay" game that was almost like Cyberpunk 2020 in space. I invented most of the equipment with the assumption that tech changes little after you have been in space for tens of thousands of years. So we had things like the brand new R2 series astromech, the ghtroc 650 light freighter, and yt 1200 series starships. The swing-wing z-95 from the Han Solo novels was a common starfighter, as was a tiny ship called an IE-44 built by Sienar Systems. It used a single ion engine and had forward swept wings that made it fairly agile in atmosphere. Most other stuff was the same as Galactic Civil War era, just had a pip nerfed here and there, and lower numerical designations.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferrit wrote:
I guess as the sole voice for the Old Republic era I should put forth the case. The grandeur and fragility of the time, a time of numerous conflicts from the planetary scale up to galaxy wide, is the core of the appeal for me. So many stories and adventures, so many possibilities.

Don't get me wrong, the rebellion and Empire eras are awesome, but the core of those stories have been played out on the big screen. We not only know the ending but the how of the ending, the heroes are not ours.

One thing I like about the Old Republic era is the relative freedom caused by its antiquity... you can just make s*** up, and with 4000+ years of ablation between you and the movies, there's little to say that you're wrong.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While that is true, my gripe with it is the lack of serious opposition. What enemies are there to go against other than yet anther pirate/slaver band, AND the prevalence of jedi..
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a name for the time period between the Old Republic and the Rise of the Empire? I often referred to the time period I ran my games in as "The Decline of the Republic" and they took place between 400-200 BBY. If you added that time period as a choice that is what would get my vote.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
While that is true, my gripe with it is the lack of serious opposition. What enemies are there to go against other than yet anther pirate/slaver band, AND the prevalence of jedi..

Whoever you like.

Resurgent Rakatans.
The predecessors of the Yuzhang Vong.
Nascent Hutt Empire.
That one time that the Rodians briefly got all violent and expansionist.
The Space Slug Empire.
Super-intelligent Krayt Dragon and his army of Sand People from beyond
Cylons
Hyperspace monsters
Non-Sith religious fanatics who think their use of the Force makes them special
Upstarts from a primitive world who have just enough power to make it difficult to take their phlebotinum.
The Zentraedi.
Droid uprising.
The Reapers.
The environment.
Corrupt officials.
Space Orks.

That's the beauty. It may be a decade-long war against unimaginable odds, but even if the PC lose horribly, it is a brief footnote in galactic history.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw "Space Orks" it reminded me of this little gem from the movie "Explorers".

Quote:
Ben Crandall: What's that?
Wak: Space pirates. (ominous voice) Scourge of the universe.
Ben Crandall: We can fight them off!
Wak (continuing in ominous voice):Vicious! Merciless!
Ben Crandall: We'll stand together. We'll use your advanced weaponry!
Wak (continuing in ominous voice) They crush all who defy them. (suddenly switching to cheesy announcer voice)Coming to a theater near you. Rated R.

Mr. Green
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobenhotep wrote:
Do you have a name for the time period between the Old Republic and the Rise of the Empire? I often referred to the time period I ran my games in as "The Decline of the Republic" and they took place between 400-200 BBY. If you added that time period as a choice that is what would get my vote.

I would broadly consider it to be part of the Rise of the Empire period.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
bobenhotep wrote:

I would broadly consider it to be part of the Rise of the Empire period.

Decline of the Republic, Rise of the Empire, can't have one without the other. I will go vote for rise of the Empire.

Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the old "Legends" Lucas Licensing publishing eras, the Rise of the Empire era encompasses everything from the Ruusan Reformation until the first battle of the Galactic Civil War.

Specifically, that's from 1000 BBY with the Seventh Battle of Ruusan until 0 BBY with the Battle of Toprawa. I guess in new canon, that would be analogous to the Battle of Scarif.

This marks both the Golden Age of the Republic and the foundation of the Empire.

Immediately preceding is the Old Republic Era. Immediately following is the Rebellion era.

The New Canon sets things up a little differently. The Galactic Republic was re-founded in 1032 BBY at the end of the Jedi-Sith War. The era prior to this was called the Dark Age of the Republic, during which the Republic pretty much ceased to exist.

So it reasons that in new canon, the ages are something like:

Pre-Republic (seriously old)
Old Republic (thousands of years before BBY)
Dark Age of the Republic (ending in 1032 BBY)
Galactic Republic (from 1032 - 19 BBY?)
Rise of the Empire (19 BBY? - 0 BBY)
Rebellion Era (0 BBY - 4 ABY)
New Republic Era (4 ABY +)
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s interesting. But, for me, I still assume Legends to be the standard frame of reference, just due to the majority of available content being Legends, not to mention it’s practically synonymous with WEG Star Wars. The exception would be if I specifically wanted to do something set in the Force Awakens timeline (which I don’t think I very likely would, though there’s nothing wrong with it).
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
That’s interesting. But, for me, I still assume Legends to be the standard frame of reference, just due to the majority of available content being Legends, not to mention it’s practically synonymous with WEG Star Wars. The exception would be if I specifically wanted to do something set in the Force Awakens timeline (which I don’t think I very likely would, though there’s nothing wrong with it).

The current status for me is that Legends is valid information until proven not to be, or I decide it isn't... though the second one obviously doesn't have much impact on anyone else. So, the New Republic stuff is, to my knowledge, largely out of the picture, because TFA supercedes it (which doesn't bother me, since I have barely a passing familiarity with it), but the KOTOR stuff is still valid, both because I know it and like it, and because it's not been superceded.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
the New Republic stuff is, to my knowledge, largely out of the picture, because TFA supercedes it

Well, for what it’s worth, The New Republic books for the most part take place 23-27 years before TFA. Even Vision of the Future is set 15 years before TFA. What happens in The New Republic era is basically the same in both timelines. The Rebellion establishes the New Republic; the Imperial Remnant signs a peace treaty and is confined to the Outer Rim. The details differ, of course, but then, they could (and would, for me) differ yet again in a RPG campaign. I would say Disney is wisely mostly leaving this time period alone, since the Thrawn and X-Wing books are so beloved, and anyway, it is neither the “present” nor the “classic” period in their timeline. They even reissued the Thrawn Trilogy with new covers—uncharacteristic reverence for something supposedly non-canon.
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrawn has also appeared in Rebels, and they brought back Zahn to write a new, Canon origin story for the character. It comes out soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: