The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How many guns on a Star Destroyer: Theory Rogue One spoilers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> How many guns on a Star Destroyer: Theory Rogue One spoilers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saikoyu
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: How many guns on a Star Destroyer: Theory Rogue One spoilers Reply with quote

Okay, so this is a theory that I have had in one way or another for a long time, and now that the good quality clips from Rogue One are out on Youtube, I've got some evidence for this as well.

Theory: Imperial Class Star Destroyers have four turrets of guns on each side, one quad ball turret in each side trench, two chase guns or turrets on the bow, three triple turrets on top forward of the superstructure, and two more chase guns or turrets mounted on the forward corners of the docking bay. The idea that it has sixty turbolasers and sixty ion cannons was made up by WEG and never corrected, even today.

Evidence: First every picture of the Star Destroyer models ever taken. Look all over, those are the only turrets you see. The Rogue One Visual Dictionary final takes that into consideration, listing off pretty much all of the guns listed here, but in addition to that, also lists off those same 60 turbolasers and ion cannons. The problem is where are they? Look at all of the films, you never see the sheets of fire that those guns would cause. Now you can say that that is the nature of the film, or the special effects of the time, but lets look at Rogue One, the latest movie with a Star Destroyer, and the one with the most and latest special effects.

SPOILERS
https://youtu.be/QV8IkrIEbZ4?t=6m54s Take a look at this clip, this is a few seconds before a Star Destroyer jumps in and starts firing. You can count each point of fire and there are not even close to sixty. You have the two forward most of the eight side turrets, each of the side trench guns, the two forward landing bay guns, and two chase mounts.

What would it look like if there were actually a fair portion of those sixty guns firing? Well, I think it would be more like this: https://youtu.be/PN_CP4SuoTU?t=5m39s (This is from the TIE fighter animation by OtaKing77077.) He seems to have placed these gun in interior mounts with limited fields of fire, like was seen in the opening of Episode 3.

Now I used to think that that was where those 120 guns could go, but in every offical source, they just don't show up. So, to the stat portion of this, I've come up with some replacement stats for the weapons of the Impstar. As far as I can tell, this gives about the same firepower, just in fewer guns.

Weapons:
6 Duel Turbolaser Batteries
Fire Arc: 1 front/left, 1 front/right, 2 left, 2 right
Crew: 4
Skill: Capital ship gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Space Range: 3-15/35/75
Atmosphere Range: 6-30/70/150 km
Damage: 10D

3 Triple Turbolaser Batteries
Fire Arc: front/left/right
Crew: 3
Fire Control: 4D
Space Range: 2-10/30/70
Atmosphere Range: 4-20/60/140 km
Damage: 8D

2 Quad Turbolaser Batteries
Fire Arc: 1 front/left, 1 front/right
Damage: 9D

2 Ventral Docking Bay Turbolaser Batteries
Fire Arc: front
Damage: 5D

2 Bow Chase Turbolaser Batteries
Fire Arc: front
Damage: 5D

2 Duel Ion Cannons Batteries
Fire Arc: 1 left, 1 right
Fire Control: 1D+2
Space Range: 1-10/25/50
Atmosphere Range: 2-20/50/100 km
Damage: 6D

10 Tractor Beam Projectors
Fire Arc: 6 Front, 2 Left, 2 Right
Crew: 6 each
Space Range: 1-5/15/30
Atmosphere Range: 2-10/30/60 km
Damage: 6D

I kept the ten tractor beams, but I suppose that you could cut that down to two as well, since that is all you really see. Anyway, what do you think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: