The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Warriors
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Star Warriors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Star Warriors Reply with quote

Do you run Star Warriors for space combat?

What do you like/dislike about the set of rules?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Warriors Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

I used to have this game in the 1e days. My gaming groups played it as its own game sometimes, but we never used it in conjunction with the RPG, even with those modules that had the Star Warriors scenarios. From a few surviving 1e starship stat sheets I can see that at one point we did import the shield rules from Star Warriors into the RPG.

At some point in the 90s I sold the game for probably nothing more than petty cash, and I really regret it. I wish I had it now. My son would probably love it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it for the sake of completeness, but haven't really explored it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I bought it for the sake of completeness, but haven't really explored it.

That's me. I've owned it since it came out, but I've never played a single session of it. Never even tried it out as a test.

I've run long term, multi-year Star Wars campaigns, but I always used the simple rules in the core rulebook for ship battles--not that ship battles came up all that often in my games.

I was just curious about it. I've thought about selling it on eBay, but, then again, I'd like to play it at least once!
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting take on Starfighter Combat but is pretty tedious.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

Tedious = Not-fun.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
jmanski wrote:

Tedious = Not-fun.

Yeah we never played it for any big epic battles. Just some simple basic dogfights.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may try to read up on the rules.

Then again, I may just go to eBay with it.

Hm...
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Star Warriors Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

I used to have this game in the 1e days. My gaming groups played it as its own game sometimes, but we never used it in conjunction with the RPG, even with those modules that had the Star Warriors scenarios. From a few surviving 1e starship stat sheets I can see that at one point we did adapt the shield rules from Star Warriors into the RPG.

In the 90s I sold the game for probably nothing more than petty cash, and I regret it. I wish I had it now. My son would probably love it.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
jmanski wrote:

Tedious = Not-fun.

I finally came across a inexpensive, complete Star Warriors box set in good condition, so I nabbed it. It arrived today. I briefly looked through it.

This is a 1987 game, but I probably did not get it the first time until 1988. I had been thinking that the game system was closer to 1e (which would make it closer to 2e), but now I realize that I had misremembered it. It's a completely unrelated system, and the ship stats do not even seem that translatable between SW and the RPG. 2e incorporated almost nothing from this game's system. The system is very crunchy, more-so than the space combat in either version of the 2e RPG (which are not restricted to 2D space). SW does look very tedious. And the hex fire arcs are just wacky.

I have to take back what I said about my son loving it. He wouldn't. This is much more complex than the WEG Battle of Hoth game we have played many times, as recent as last year. I don't even really want to invest the time and mental effort into relearning the SW rules better to play it.

I'm still a little bit happier to have it back for my general WEG game collection, but my (this-century) regret over getting rid of it 30 years ago was probably mostly fueled by my nostalgia for the era and forgetting the specifics of the game system. I can now see why I got rid of it. I'll look it over a little better when I am in a better headspace for it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad. But thanks for taking one for the team, Whill.

By getting it yourself (and letting us know), you keep the rest of us - who might be considering getting it - from making that same mistake. I know I've looked at it a couple of times and considered getting it.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the game (original copy from the 90s) and I while I have lost many of the components (don't have the box, and maybe some sheets lost) still have rules and most of the counters.

Recently, when working on my house rules for R&E, I picked it up again (I find some of the starship combat movement rules in 2.5 a bit ....lacking) and re-read them.

Well - while I don't think the rules are BAD .... I can say that overall I agree with many of the points others have brought up.

It is just a bit too crunchy for RPG games - and a bit outdated compared to more recent starship tabletop games.

If someone wanted to give it a whirl for a mix of wanting star wars and nostalgia - it is not too bad. But unless you really want it to complete a collection.... yeah.

but honestly - if you want star wars themed tabletop game - I would suggest Xwing - or even better - Armada (it has some very clever mechanics I feel - after playing many games of similar sort over the years).

May the dice be with you....
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
It is just a bit too crunchy for RPG games - and a bit outdated compared to more recent starship tabletop games.

...but honestly - if you want star wars themed tabletop game - I would suggest Xwing - or even better - Armada (it has some very clever mechanics I feel - after playing many games of similar sort over the years).

Regarding SW space battle mini games, my son got to demo X-Wing against another kid in a bookstore, with an employee serving a 'gamemaster' to explain the rules and keep the game moving. There was a small crowd watching beside the other kid's dad and me. I don't remember much, but I thought it was ok at the time for what it was trying to do. I would not at all be surprised that X-Wing is better than Star Warriors, but at the time I hadn't seen Star Warriors in decades.

I occasionally run into the term "outdated" as describing WEG games. I vehemently reject the premise that newer is better than older only by virtue of being newer, so the term is meaningless without any comparative examples that explain new innovations and how they are a better way to handle X.

I've asked for examples for new RPG rule innovations that do something better than SWD6, and people never supply any specifics. It makes me think that many gamers can't really cite any because, either they don't understand the game systems well enough and are just repeating buzzwords others have stated, or there aren't any innovations and they are erroneously using the term 'outdated' to simply mean out-of-fashion...

I personally have witnessed this "flavor of the month" phenomena where gaming groups must keep changing games every campaign to not get bored (including occasional one-shots or mini-campaigns), and once you have played everything then new games are the only saving grace for this 'constant-new' curse. The last SWD6 campaign I was a player in had several younger players who had never played it before. It was fun, but when the campaign was over, everyone (but one other player and myself) wanted to move on to another game, so I dropped out.

Regarding any kind of game, the term 'outdated' implies more than just not as good. There is a timeframe connotation, and that would only make sense to me if all or most games include similar rules of their time period and these rules evolve over time. I am skeptical of this, because the other games I've played from the WEG Star Wars era have almost nothing in common with D6.

And I've played in D&D d20 campaigns. I have played and own WotC Saga SW. I have ran and played FFG Star Wars. The newer SW games (WotC and FFG) suck by comparison. I think I got the idea for installing a "Sense Motive" concept from d20 or Saga into D6 (what CRMcNeill named the Discernment skill). I guess that was an "innovation" of sorts, because before this house rule, active social awareness was still handled by the base Perception attribute, or the Con skill for some uses). But it wasn't even a new mechanic.

Anyway, if anyone has any specific examples of innovative game mechanics in post-WEG games, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Please explain it to me like I am a triggered old grognard.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: