The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Galleon's Detachable Cargo Bay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Star Galleon's Detachable Cargo Bay Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
The SWU has the Katana fleet. A fleet that was so automated that every action of the entire 200 odd warships could be controlled from 1 ship.

And according to Star Wars lore the Katana Fleet disaster is why ships aren't heavily automated and use non-networked systems and droids so that can never happen again.

The Katana fleet was an experimental design that networked all of the ship's systems, which is a far cry from an otherwise normal ship that networks just its anti intruder defenses for the purposes of maximizing the effectiveness of counter boarding operations. A slicer working with a boarding party might be able to hack the security network, depending on Difficulty levels and system access limitations, but the ship's flight controls and the like would be unaffected because they weren't linked into the network.

And even if it did get sliced, there's no reason the security system itself couldn't have a hard-wired kill switch, to shut it down in case it does get sliced.[/i]

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
ForbinProject wrote:
The SWU has the Katana fleet. A fleet that was so automated that every action of the entire 200 odd warships could be controlled from 1 ship.

And according to Star Wars lore the Katana Fleet disaster is why ships aren't heavily automated and use non-networked systems and droids so that can never happen again.

The Katana fleet was an experimental design that networked all of the ship's systems, which is a far cry from an otherwise normal ship that networks just its anti intruder defenses for the purposes of maximizing the effectiveness of counter boarding operations. A slicer working with a boarding party might be able to hack the security network, depending on Difficulty levels and system access limitations, but the ship's flight controls and the like would be unaffected because they weren't linked into the network.

And even if it did get sliced, there's no reason the security system itself couldn't have a hard-wired kill switch, to shut it down in case it does get sliced.[/i]

It's an SWU example of a system that some people use to justify their argument that an entire ships system can be hacked. It's up to individual GM's to decide if they'll allow it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been meaning to come back to this, but I've been busy...

ForbinProject wrote:
It's an SWU example of a system that some people use to justify their argument that an entire ships system can be hacked. It's up to individual GM's to decide if they'll allow it.

The problem is that, if you dig into the actual details, it doesn't support that, for a variety of reasons. In Dark Force Rising, where the original idea for the Katana Fleet comes from, Karrde flat out states that the problem was not so much with the system as it was with the hive virus that drove the crews mad before killing them. It was the crews that slaved the ships together, so that when the Katana jumped to hyperspace, all the rest of the ships followed along. But (key point) the crews all had the access codes needed to provide that level of access.

Karrde also makes the point that starship design was already moving away from big centralized computers toward large groups of droids, and that the Katana fleet pretty much just put the last nail in the coffin, but again, this doesn't apply to just a centralized security system, as it won't be tied into every ship system.

And again, on the slicing trope, I disagree that it should be easy to do, especially on a ship that is on full battle alert and primed to repel boarders. Just because Artoo can access the computers on the Death Star to find out where Princess Leia is being held doesn't mean he can take over the entire Death Star from the computer terminal in the hangar bay. Yes, he was able to take over the World Devastators in Dark Empire, but that was because Luke gave him the access codes to be able to take them over.

My stance is that it would take an exceptional slicer making multiple Heroic rolls to gain the kind of access needed to override and take control of the entire security system, even before one factors in active opposition from either an onboard IT tech team or dedicated data security droids.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of thoroughness, I'm letting you know I came up with an answer to pretty much all the questions I had on this. The results can be found in this stat for the Star Galleon that I posted in a different topic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: