The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Revising Official Vehicle Stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Revising Official Vehicle Stats Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By aircrew, I meant pilots. Since the F-16 is a single-seater, they have 5 pilots for every 4 aircraft, which means, in the event of a full squadron scramble, somebody will be staying behind . Ground crew would be a different number.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

So what do you do in your SWU?

Me? I just make it up as I go along, honestly.

For those who like to sort out the ranks and files, though, I like to chip in my thoughts in case they are helpful.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
By aircrew, I meant pilots. Since the F-16 is a single-seater, they have 5 pilots for every 4 aircraft, which means, in the event of a full squadron scramble, somebody will be staying behind . Ground crew would be a different number.
Sorry my mistake. So they allow for a 25% overage on pilots. Thanks that's good to know.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Sorry my mistake. So they allow for a 25% overage on pilots. Thanks that's good to know.

This happens in Rogue One as well, if you look at the All There In The Manual details. Wedge Antilles is part of Red Squadron in both ANH and Rogue One but he's not present at the Battle of Scarif. Word of God says that the voice on the intercom on Yavin 4 telling the pilots they've been redirected to Scarif and will be briefed en route is actually Wedge (despite the fact that it doesn't remotely sound like Denis Lawson, but that's something that likely couldn't be helped in real life making this movie). I don't know why Wedge wasn't at Scarif (I think he was recovering from a prior battle wound and tried to make himself useful while still healing), but this is an example of how not everyone in the squadron flies on every mission.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Wedge Antilles is part of Red Squadron in both ANH and Rogue One but he's not present at the Battle of Scarif. Word of God says that the voice on the intercom on Yavin 4 telling the pilots they've been redirected to Scarif and will be briefed en route is actually Wedge (despite the fact that it doesn't remotely sound like Denis Lawson, but that's something that likely couldn't be helped in real life making this movie). I don't know why Wedge wasn't at Scarif

It doesn't sound like Dennis Lawson but it does sound like Wedge Antilles in ANH. Dennis Lawson's own voice was not used in ANH.

The original Wedge actor (Colin Higgins) had an unsatisfactory performance and had his voice overdubbed by actor David Ankrum ("That's impossible, even for a computer."). Colin Higgins was fired and the Dennis Lawson was hired to replace him, but they never re-filmed that Yavin briefing scene. The character played by Colin Higgins later became known as "Fake Wedge."

All of Dennis Lawson's lines in ANH were also overdubbed by actor David Ankrum, which provided some sense of continuity with "Fake Wedge" who at the time was not deemed a separate character. For RO, they actually hired the same voice actor of Wedge from ANH, David Ankrum, to be the voice of Wedge, which provided some sense of continuity ANH.

The reason Wedge did not go to Scarif is to maintain continuity with Wedge's awe in ANH, "Look at the size of that thing!" If Wedge had gone to Scarif he obviously would have had to survive the battle, but before escaping he would have had to have seen the Death Star. The Battle of Yavin is clearly the first time Wedge has seen the Death Star, so he can't have gone to Scarif.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Wedge Antilles is part of Red Squadron in both ANH and Rogue One but he's not present at the Battle of Scarif. Word of God says that the voice on the intercom on Yavin 4 telling the pilots they've been redirected to Scarif and will be briefed en route is actually Wedge (despite the fact that it doesn't remotely sound like Denis Lawson, but that's something that likely couldn't be helped in real life making this movie). I don't know why Wedge wasn't at Scarif

It doesn't sound like Dennis Lawson but it does sound like Wedge Antilles in ANH. Dennis Lawson's own voice was not used in ANH.

The original Wedge actor (Colin Higgins) had an unsatisfactory performance and had his voice overdubbed by actor David Ankrum ("That's impossible, even for a computer."). Colin Higgins was fired and the Dennis Lawson was hired to replace him, but they never re-filmed that Yavin briefing scene. The character played by Colin Higgins later became known as "Fake Wedge."

All of Dennis Lawson's lines in ANH were also overdubbed by actor David Ankrum, which provided some sense of continuity with "Fake Wedge" who at the time was not deemed a separate character. For RO, they actually hired the same voice actor of Wedge from ANH, David Ankrum, to be the voice of Wedge, which provided some sense of continuity ANH.

The reason Wedge did not go to Scarif is to maintain continuity with Wedge's awe in ANH, "Look at the size of that thing!" If Wedge had gone to Scarif he obviously would have had to survive the battle, but before escaping he would have had to have seen the Death Star. The Battle of Yavin is clearly the first time Wedge has seen the Death Star, so he can't have gone to Scarif.

Damn, I had no idea about much of this (although I did know about Fake Wedge but not everything about the dubbing). And that level of detail in Rogue One to account for Wedge seeing the Death Star at Yavin and not at Scarif is just another reason why I love Rogue One. Damn, but Gareth and the rest of the RO crew really knew what they were doing.

But David Ankrum as the Yavin announcer doesn't sound to me like the David Ankrum who said "That's impossible, even for a computer!" at all to me, even accounting for the passage of 40 years IRL and the voice actor aging. Does it really sound like the same guy to you guys?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
And that level of detail in Rogue One to account for Wedge seeing the Death Star at Yavin and not at Scarif is just another reason why I love Rogue One. Damn, but Gareth and the rest of the RO crew really knew what they were doing.

I completely agree. Rogue One is genius.

Sutehp wrote:
David Ankrum as the Yavin announcer doesn't sound to me like the David Ankrum who said "That's impossible, even for a computer!" at all to me, even accounting for the passage of 40 years IRL and the voice actor aging. Does it really sound like the same guy to you guys?

I don't know. I never really paid attention to the voice myself. I am just thrilled to see Red Leader and Gold Leader in the Battle of Scarif.

I read all the info in my previous post on the internet. I'll have to really listen the next time I watch RO.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I am just thrilled to see Red Leader and Gold Leader in the Battle of Scarif.

Oh, absolutely! I squee'd hard at seeing Red Leader and Gold Leader at the Battle of Scarif. I understand that Red Leader's actor died a while back (during the 90s, I think) but his lines in RO had been recorded during ANH's filming, but they brought back Gold Leader's actor and he newly recorded his lines about attacking the shield gate.

Again, pure genius on Gareth Edwards' part.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing Red and Gold leader gave me chills, not gonna lie.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
I would say yes. Rebels often brought IN their fighters (freighter) ships with them when they defected to the rebellion, so 'had a dedicated one for their own use'.. Where as the empire, probably just assigned you a squadron you would be in and you used what ship was available..

But we're talking about starfighters, not freighters. A defecting Imperial pilot is going to bring a TIE with him, not an X-Wing.

That depends on what imp pilot he is.. Not all are fighter jocks!

Bren wrote:
This is the answer to a different, but also interesting question. Namely, how many techs does it take to maintain, service, and otherwise keep a starfighter in space. Five seems like it's probably too many from a narrative perspective (too many NPCs to manage). On the other extreme, the old TV Show Ba Ba Blacksheep had only 1 or 2 techs to keep a squadron of 9-10 pilots and their aircraft flying.

Having an astromech would provide a rationale for fewer (than 5) aircrew. We had a few named techs, but we never named or gave stats to all the techs for the X-wing squadron campaign most remained nameless background NPCs, as did most of the astromechs. Imagining 12 unique astromech names and personalities would tax my imagination.

Based on what i got from the Xwing novels, 3-5 per fighter was average it sounded like.. Which gells with RL squadrons..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some smaller versions of the images I liked for the Tramp Speeder, and added them to the stat post.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pics are useful. Thanks.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This slipped through the cracks somehow. It's the list of standardized weaponry I use for statting out ground vehicles (Starfighter Scale unless otherwise noted):

Heavy Laser Cannon
Fire Control: 0D
Range:
--Space: 2-5/15/30
--Orbital: 4km-10km/30km/60km
--Atmosphere: 200m-500m/1.5km/3km
Damage: 7D

Laser Cannon
Fire Control: 1D
Range:
--Space: 1-3/12/25
--Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 5D

Light Laser Cannon
Fire Control: 2D
Range:
--Space: 1-3/10/20
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1km/2km
Damage: 4D

Heavy Blaster Cannon
Fire Control: 3D
Range:
--Space: 2-6/12/20
--Atmosphere: 200m-600m/1.2km/2km
Rate of Fire: 2D Auto-Fire
Damage: 3D

Medium Blaster Cannon
Range:
--Space: 1-5/10/17
--Atmosphere: 100m-500m/1km/1.7km
Damage: 2D

Light Blaster Cannon
Scale: Speeder (+4D)
Range:
--Space: 1-3/8/15
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/800m/1.5km

Heavy Ion Cannon
Fire Control: 0D
Range:
--Space: 1-4/12/24
--Atmosphere: 100m-400m/1.2km/2.4km
Damage: 7D

Ion Cannon
Fire Control: 1D
Range:

Light Ion Cannon
Range:
--Space: 1-3/7/16
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/700m/1.6km

Heavy Mass Driver
Crew: 1
Skill: Vehicle Blasters
Range:
--Space: 1-3/12/25
--Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: (Proximity Detonated)
--Anti-Personnel: 4D (Area)
--Anti-Armor: 7D (Point)
--Anti-Shield: 5D Ionization (Point)
--Incendiary: 3D Incendiary (Standard)
Ammo: 60

Mass Driver
Range:
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1km/2km
--Anti-Personnel: 3D (Area)
--Anti-Armor: 6D (Point)
--Anti-Shield: 4D Ionization (Point)
--Incendiary: 2D Incendiary (Standard)

Light Mass Driver
Fire Control: 4D
Range:
--Space: 1-3/8/15
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/800m/1.5km
--Anti-Personnel: 2D (Area)
--Anti-Armor: 5D (Point)
--Anti-Shield: 3D Ionization (Point)
--Incendiary: 1D Incendiary (Standard)

Heavy Rocket Launcher
Skill: Vehicle Weapons
Fire Control: Varies with Rocket Type
Range:
--Space: 1-5/10/20
--Atmosphere: 100m-500m/1km/2km
Damage: Varies with Rocket Type
--Heavy Rocket (FC: 3D, Damage: 7D Standard)
--Cluster Rocket (FC: 6D, Damage: 3D Area. Special: If the Cluster Rocket inflicts damage on its target, make an additional roll on the Damage Table for every 5 points of success on the Gunnery roll)
Special: INDIRECT FIRE
    -To use this technique, a friendly unit must be acting as a target designator. This can be either a vehicle or infantry unit. For vehicles, the designating vehicle must make a successful Sensor Focus roll on the intended target. For infantry, the designating character must make a successful attack with an active designator of some kind, which is rolled as a standard attack. It inflicts no damage, but can be dodged.

-The target must be within the launcher's fire arc.

Light Rocket Launcher
Skill: Vehicle Weapons
Fire Control: 5D
Range:
--Space: 1-5/10/20
--Atmosphere: 50m-300m/600m/1.2km
Special: INDIRECT FIRE
    -To use this technique, a friendly unit must be acting as a target designator. This can be either a vehicle or infantry unit. For vehicles, the designating vehicle must make a successful Sensor Focus roll on the intended target. For infantry, the designating character must make a successful attack with an active designator of some kind, which is rolled as a standard attack. It inflicts no damage, but can be dodged.

-The target must be within the launcher's fire arc.

Sapper Cannon
Fire Control: 4D
Range: Varies by Shell Type
Damage: Varies by Shell Type
Ammo: 4
Shell Types:
--Crater Charge (Creates a large crater that can provide Full Cover to a Walker-Scale armored vehicle less than 10 meters tall. The vehicle can not move into the crater until its turn the following round.)
--Crater Charge, Cluster (As the Crater Charge, but creates a dozen Character-sized craters, used to provide cover for a deployed infantry squad)
--Mine Clearing Line Charge (Deploys an explosive charge that, upon detonation, clears a path 400 meters long by 20 meters wide through a minefield).
--Demolition Charge (Used to destroy buildings or underground bunkers, or to weaken the foundations of structures such as bridges or equipment towers. Inflicts 8D Damage, but can only be used against stationary structures).

Heavy Repeating Blaster
Fire Arc: Turret
Scale: Speeder (+4D)
Fire Control: 5D
Range: 3-75/200/500
Special Equipment: DEFENSE POD (1D / 2D / 3D / 4D)
    -Anti-Air: Roll as a normal attack, stacking the Pod's rating with the turret's Fire Control.
    -Missile Defense: Roll combined Pod Rating & Fire Control. Missiles are Difficult targets. A Defense Pod may attempt to engage multiple missiles in a round, subject to MAPs as normal.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat May 13, 2023 11:44 am; edited 2 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump because I had a thought on the Hoverscout...

Like a lot of "low-tech" systems in the SWU, air cushion hover vehicles like the Hoverscout seem to be stuck conceptually at the current, modern level of that tech. Even more advanced sci-fi interpretations of ACV's (see the Hammer's Slammers) focus more on boosting power through onboard fusion plants in order to increase the amount of armor such craft can pack onto them.

One potential flaw, however, is that in both the Hammerverse and the Hoverscout (at least as far as appearance), the hover vehicles have a rigid skirt around the edges of the plenum chamber. On real-world vehicles, this helps to keep the air pressure by minimizing the air leakage around the edges, but in the sci-fi variants being discussed, the skirt lacks the flexibility needed to more closely conform to the surface under the vehicles, and thus allows the air to leak out, and depriving it of lift.

I've always wondered how a rigid skirt on an ACV would function in rough terrain that prevents the rigid skirt from getting a decent "seal," and
I've often wondered if there was a more high-tech solution to this problem. I came across just that in a fan supplement to the Renegade Legion game, with hover vehicles being introduced as a middle option between the high-tech grav vehicles and relatively low-tech wheel or tread vehicles.

The hover craft in the Renegade Legion universe create a "virtual skirt" of sorts by projecting a force field from the bottom of the plenum chamber down to the ground, in much the same way as the docking bay shields on starships in the SWU hold in atmosphere. I like how this introduces a much more Star Wars-ish feel to something as seemingly mundane as an air cushion vehicle, and would better explain why it's useful as a scout, as the force field skirt would allow it to handle much more varied terrain than would a simple rigid physical skirt.

Thoughts?

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't you essentially reinventing repulsorlift tanks with that?

Last edited by Zarn on Thu May 02, 2019 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: