The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Building a Droid...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Building a Droid... Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chocobo Inquisitor
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Building a Droid... Reply with quote

So, I'm new to the D6 system, but I figured it was a better alternative to use REUP than FFG. So, I was wondering about the "build dice", especially in terms of attachments. Does everything simply cost 1 attachment, or is there more of a price when it comes to rarity like I feel there is?

I'm asking this because one of my players wishes to be a B1 Battle Droid, which if I have my math right means he has 8 dice to spend on skills and attachments and I'm still scratching my head over how much an attachment costs as opposed to another.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Droid... Reply with quote

Chocobo Inquisitor wrote:
So, I'm new to the D6 system, but I figured it was a better alternative to use REUP than FFG. So, I was wondering about the "build dice", especially in terms of attachments. Does everything simply cost 1 attachment, or is there more of a price when it comes to rarity like I feel there is?

I'm asking this because one of my players wishes to be a B1 Battle Droid, which if I have my math right means he has 8 dice to spend on skills and attachments and I'm still scratching my head over how much an attachment costs as opposed to another.

Welcome to the Pit! I've never had droid PCs and I find the droid creation rules to be vague. But it would seem that the attachments with skill bonuses cost the number of build dice equal to the bonus, so that would imply that non-bonus attachments may be free, within reason. That's my best guess.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a bit, iirc that info is in Cyndabar's fantastic tech: droids...

I have to go fish the book out of one of my boxes..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the canon rules are horrible in a lot of ways. According to them, there's no difference between a droid with 4D in every attribute and +1D for Technical skills, and a droid with 1D in every attribute and +19D in Underwater Basket Weaving (A Technical skill)
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Yeah, the canon rules are horrible in a lot of ways. According to them, there's no difference between a droid with 4D in every attribute and +1D for Technical skills, and a droid with 1D in every attribute and +19D in Underwater Basket Weaving (A Technical skill)

Don't judge! The Mon Cal loved their artisianal droid-woven baskets!
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they are expertly made!
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason why I like First Edition...

Quote:
BUILDING DROIDS

What about droids?

Droids are characters, just like human characters. They have the same attributes and skills--they just have different limits on how dice can be spent to improve skills (and, of course, Droids cannot have Force skills). Droids are very good at a few tasks and pretty much suck at everything else. They can be played as player characters, if a player desires, but I suggest that droids remain NPCs (as the character will only be useful in a few specialized areas).

Droids, especially as NPCs, are perfect for leaving behind to guard the ship as the PCs go off on an adventure.

A droid template starts with all attributes at 1D. With First Edition, making up a droid on the spot is easy-cheesy.

Step 1: Decide what the droid looks like. Just use your imagination.

Step 2: Choose one, two, or three skills that will be the specialty for the droid.

Step 3: Assign 12D to skills, with no limit on how many dice go into any skill.

Boom. All done.

STAR WARS FIRST EDITION: A LOVE STORY
Jas378
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Quote:
BUILDING DROIDS

What about droids?

Droids are characters, just like human characters. They have the same attributes and skills--they just have different limits on how dice can be spent to improve skills (and, of course, Droids cannot have Force skills). Droids are very good at a few tasks and pretty much suck at everything else. They can be played as player characters, if a player desires, but I suggest that droids remain NPCs (as the character will only be useful in a few specialized areas).

Droids, especially as NPCs, are perfect for leaving behind to guard the ship as the PCs go off on an adventure.

A droid template starts with all attributes at 1D. With First Edition, making up a droid on the spot is easy-cheesy.

Step 2: Choose one, two, or three skills that will be the specialty for the droid.

Boom. All done.

Coincidentally, just what I need right now!
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jas378 wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Quote:
BUILDING DROIDS

What about droids?

Boom. All done.

Coincidentally, just what I need right now!

For those who like crunch, there's Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids. It's a supplement that you can use for either edition of the game. It's what was mentioned up-thread. It's a lot more involved for those who want something more than just simple.
Chocobo Inquisitor
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I just might use the simple first edition rules then, maybe just allow them to switch a die for an attachment.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocobo Inquisitor wrote:
Thanks guys. I just might use the simple first edition rules then, maybe just allow them to switch a die for an attachment.

Just FYI, the 1E rules do not require dice spent on attachments. It's left to the GM's discretion.

Other droid creation rules do count attachments.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately checking that droid book, seems to ONLY give info on Constructing a droid from scratch, programming costs/difficulties etc..
Not in creating a PC droid and what the 'die cost' for attachments are..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, making droids pay a D cost for attachments is like making a character trade Attribute dice for starting equipment. Nobody makes a Smuggler trade in a D of Attribute dice so that he can start with a Stock Light Freighter, or a Jedi sacrifice a D to start with a Lightsaber.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
To me, making droids pay a D cost for attachments is like making a character trade Attribute dice for starting equipment. Nobody makes a Smuggler trade in a D of Attribute dice so that he can start with a Stock Light Freighter, or a Jedi sacrifice a D to start with a Lightsaber.

Top prize for best reply. Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

If that equipment grants bonuses to skills, i could see the justification for making an attachment cost..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: