The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Incorporating D6 Space into D6 Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Incorporating D6 Space into D6 Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Incorporating D6 Space into D6 Star Wars Reply with quote

This somewhat borderline, in the sense that, while D6 Space is an official WEG product, it can be selectively applied based on personal preference. For example, while the Force Attribute has many parallels to D6 Space’s Extranormal or Metaphysics Attributes, it isn’t an exact copy. Likewise, while my home brew Scale System incorporates some aspects of the D6 Space system, it is primarily a derivative of the 2R&E Scale System.

What rules from D6 Space have you incorporated into your personal rule set? And do you use them as described, or changed them to suit your needs, and how so?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the die code simplification system sometimes, it can speed
things up quite a bit when there are large dice pools to roll.

I also use it as the base rule for a D6 based fantasy game I run.

Xain
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D6 space has some useful rules about automatic weapons, called shots, and combat maneuvers, summarized on page 81.

A bit outside the scope, but I find the shield rules in Fantasy to be useful, especially when you keep in mind that they provide cover.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the perception skill know how. I loved this skill for ewoks.
Leona Makk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
D6 space has some useful rules about automatic weapons, called shots, and combat maneuvers, summarized on page 81.

A bit outside the scope, but I find the shield rules in Fantasy to be useful, especially when you keep in mind that they provide cover.

That little chart has got me out of some tight spots. I found the {+ or -} to hit and {+ or -} to damage method useful when players want to pull off some bonkers combat trick that they just thought up. I used to just set difficulties higher, but the players liked this push/pull idea since it seems less arbitrary.

Example:
Bothersome Player: "I want to hit both those troopers with one swing of the lightsaber. They are standing right next to each other so...."
GM: "Well, usually that is 2 actions...but what if we give you a minus 1D to hit and damage?"
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 1/2 STR adds to melee weapons though I haven’t got to use it yet. And I really would like to use the Alien creation system too.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

I went looking in Fantasy for that part (Shields providing Cover), but couldn't find it. Do you have a page reference?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
I like the 1/2 STR adds to melee weapons though I haven’t got to use it yet. And I really would like to use the Alien creation system too.

Whill suggested something along these lines in the past, but IIRC, he suggested converting Strength or Lifting into pips (as opposed to tossing them out completely), dividing them by 2, then converting back into dice. For example, in D6 Space, a character with a Strength of 2D+2 would throw out the pips, then divide the 2D in half to get a Strength Damage of 1D. In the modified version, 2D+2 would convert into 8 pips (3 per D, plus 2), which divides into 4 pips, which converts back to a Strength Damage of 1D+1.

As an aside, I've considered doing Dexterity Damage (1/2 of Dex, using the same formula as above) for certain weapons where precision is more important than Strength. A while back, I suggested making Lightsabers a Dex+5D Damage weapon, but incorporating a Dex Damage would make that a little more sedate. This could also apply to other weapons, like vibrorapiers or mono-blades.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Incorporating D6 Space into D6 Star Wars Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
This somewhat borderline, in the sense that, while D6 Space is an official WEG product, it can be selectively applied based on personal preference. For example, while the Force Attribute has many parallels to D6 Space’s Extranormal or Metaphysics Attributes, it isn’t an exact copy. Likewise, while my home brew Scale System incorporates some aspects of the D6 Space system, it is primarily a derivative of the 2R&E Scale System.

I view D6 Space as SW D6 3e minus the Star Wars IP.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Ninja-Bear wrote:

Whill suggested something along these lines in the past, but IIRC, he suggested converting Strength or Lifting into pips (as opposed to tossing them out completely), dividing them by 2, then converting back into dice. For example, in D6 Space, a character with a Strength of 2D+2 would throw out the pips, then divide the 2D in half to get a Strength Damage of 1D. In the modified version, 2D+2 would convert into 8 pips (3 per D, plus 2), which divides into 4 pips, which converts back to a Strength Damage of 1D+1.

Here is the post which analyzes the D6 Space rule and details my tweak to it.

CRMcNeill wrote:
What rules from D6 Space have you incorporated into your personal rule set? And do you use them as described, or changed them to suit your needs, and how so?

There has been some inspiration from D6 Space in my game's scope and name of some skills, the name of Force Points as Fate Points, a Force attribute, the Strength damage stat derived from Lifting, a small list of advantages, alien species packages, PC templates, and maybe other things I'm not thinking of at this moment.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

I went looking in Fantasy for that part (Shields providing Cover), but couldn't find it. Do you have a page reference?

It's not explicit, unfortunately... inexplicit enough to be a house rule. Wink

I tend to think shields get horribly undervalued in a lot of games.
Leona Makk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried out the cybernetics in d6 Space?

I have a player who just learned (A) Medicine and really wants to do some Human/Cyborg Relations.
I was going to use Craken's Rebel Field Guide from 1st Ed. but I wanted to check with you folks first.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked through the Cybernetics chapter now, and I can't really see anything particularly wrong with it. It's abusable, sure, but so are the cybernetics rules in Cracken's.

In my opinion and in general, having a new ability to do something (roll a skill roll where you couldn't before, choose between Stun and Damage where you previously could do only one before, new vision modes like IR, UV, radioactivity, and so on) won't be particularly unbalancing.

However, exchanging money for bonus dice in either an attribute or a skill can tend to be unbalancing. The occasional +1D skill die won't really do much on its own as long as the total is, say, sub-7D, but if it starts kicking it over that then you're getting into 'guaranteed Heroic result if you roll' territory. And that can be unbalancing - particularly if a Wild Die of 1 and dropping the highest die really doesn't change the outcome any more; only a Complication will change the outcome because you're thoroughly trouncing the Difficulty at any rate.

I've had a character with the Borg implant and a shock hand, and that didn't really do much when it came to be unbalancing - it was far more unbalancing that that character had 8D Blaster. (The GM might think differently - that character effectively had 9D in various computer skills because of the implant.)
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 1/2 lifting for brawling damage. Fistfights now last forever (just like in movies) and are a hoot! Characters scramble to use objects/weapons to drop opponents, especially when going against higher strength characters.

This also makes the Martial Arts rules from ROE playable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: