The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Shaking Off Stun for Wookiees and Rancors
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Shaking Off Stun for Wookiees and Rancors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Shaking Off Stun for Wookiees and Rancors Reply with quote

In another thread, the topic of Rancors and tough Wookiees being stunned with a shot from a hold out blaster came up.

Should this be possible?

Here's a House Rule that can be used with your First Edition game to manage this expectation.

Shaking Off Stun: Strong beings like Wookiees and Rancors can shake off Stuns when STR roll is twice that of damage.

That way, only very strong beings have the ability.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have described is the damage rule from the first edition Rules Companion:

Quote:
Escaping Unscathed
If two times the damage roll is less than the Strength roll (2xDR < SR) there
is no effect. The target is not stunned. (For purposes of starship combat,
there is no ionization or shield loss.) This rule is inferred from the “Rules:
Ships and Personal Combat” section on page 65 of the roleplaying game and
now applies to all combat.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, well, there you go!

I don't use the Rules Companion.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Shaking Off Stun for Wookiees and Rancors Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
In another thread, the topic of Rancors and tough Wookiees being stunned with a shot from a hold out blaster came up.

Should this be possible?

Here's a House Rule that can be used with your First Edition game to manage this expectation.

Shaking Off Stun: Strong beings like Wookiees and Rancors can shake off Stuns when STR roll is twice that of damage.

That way, only very strong beings have the ability.

For clarification, the other thread was discussing a mod for 2e because of the opposite issue where any result of strength greater than damage has no effect.

But Bren and Wajeb, thanks for your contributions to that discussion and this thread. The Rules Companion rule of having 2xDR < SR No Effect is a happy medium between the two extremes for DR < SR (1e's minimum result of stun for every hit vs. 2e's fulling soaking blaster bolts). When discussing my damage/wound mods where I wanted to go back to 1e for DR < SR being a stun, my system was criticized with an example of an Ewok whacking a Wookiee with a club eventually knocking the Wookiee out when some weak damage should be able to be fully soaked. The RC rule does take care of the extreme cases of higher Strength and required me to reinterpret soaked blaster bolt hits as near misses less often.

So I know you posted this as a mod for 1e, but I think I want to update my "a 3e" system. Thanks!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm point of order, sirs. Luke stunned the Rancor with an old bone. A holdout blaster should do the trick if you hit it in the eye or something.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Umm point of order, sirs. Luke stunned the Rancor with an old bone.

Maybe Luke used a Force Point to enhance his attributes for that throw, doing much more than normal damage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: