The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Adventure templates?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Adventure templates? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nile514
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Adventure templates? Reply with quote

I'm brand spanking new to D6 Star Wars RPG or role-play gaming in general. I'd like to run an adventure next week while vacationing in a cabin with my gamer family. We've been playing board games for years but are ready to take the plunge into RPG.

Anyway, I have the rule book (been studying it for weeks), some general maps, aids, etc., but I'm having trouble getting started on an adventure. I have some ideas but I need a baseline--an aid for me to reference and I fill in the details. Anyone aware of Adventure word templates to download?
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pitt!

One of the great website resources I use is http://www.d6holocron.com/. They have tools there, resources and their wiki is top notch.

If you're writing your own adventure I recommend http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/plots.htm for ideas.

Good luck!
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you taken a look at the Introductory Adventure Game? Try it.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Have you taken a look at the Introductory Adventure Game? Try it.

Excellent suggestion.

I'd use a published adventure, too (and I think that there are two in the above) instead of making up an adventure, the first time out.

I think the adventure in the first edition core rulebook is excellent for first timers. It's short, and it's got lots of stuff packed into it: Stormtroopers, a running gun battle, droids, heavy weapons, a Walker attack at the climax, and the PCs get to fly Y-Wings. Plus, it's very adaptable to the GM getting creative and growing the adventure, if he wants.
nile514
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent suggestions everyone. Thanks for the warm welcome. I feel I'm among friends here. Smile

I will check these out and then let you know which one I go with, and how my first game turns out. Thanks again.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One useful method of developing adventures is called Hook, Line, and Sinker.

Hook: The immediate thing that is supposed to get the characters interested. Luke discovers a hologram of a beautiful young woman, pleading for help.

Line: The initial parameter of the mission. "We need to get this message to Alderaan".

Sinker: The planned complication. Alderaan is destroyed, and we're now mounting a rescue mission in a giant battle station.

It's a basic framework for laying out an adventure, and can wind up suggested a lot of changes to what needs to happen and what needs to be developed.
nile514
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MrNexx, good rule of thumb to go by when I start creating my own adventures.

It's looking like The Introductory Adventure will be the way to go for our first adventure. It's easy to follow and I think the visual aides, little character stands etc. will appeal to my younger children.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a copy of Instant Adventures, it has a bunch of great adventure seeds which can easily be planted into any campaign.

I just ran New Recruits and Rebel Guns adventure for a character's recruitment into the Rebel Alliance, and it was great, a good mix of action and potential for roleplaying with Rebels.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
If you have a copy of Instant Adventures, it has a bunch of great adventure seeds which can easily be planted into any campaign.

I just ran New Recruits and Rebel Guns adventure for a character's recruitment into the Rebel Alliance, and it was great, a good mix of action and potential for roleplaying with Rebels.

That's a good one, too. I almost mentioned it above.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a nice lead into the Assault on the Base at Edan Prime from the Introductory Box Set.

When the new Recruits arrive to deliver the much needed supplies, they barely have time to check in with command before the base comes under attack. It keeps the pressure on, which might be nice depending on the time period you're planning on running (After ESB or before a New Hope).
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get the introductory adventure under your belt, take a look at the G+ community, they have "random adventures" posted there. It gives you just a few elements to use as ideas. They have a few tables that describe a general mission objective, a setting, an adversary, and a complication. They flesh this idea out in the Shooting Womprats podcast where they connect all the dots and give a quick outline of an adventure plot. They also close each episode with how to take the general plotline of a movie they'd seen recently, and how to modify the major elements to make them suitable to a Star Wars adventure.

Even if you never use any of the adventures directly, it is basically training on how to evaluate elements from media and how to adapt and synthesize them into an RPG adventures.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Random Mission Generator stuff can be useful, especially for filler until you get an idea for your own overarching campaign. Since I recently started solo gaming, I've been experimenting with some of the pre-made adventures and story hooks from the official books and I've been having a lot of fun with those.
nile514
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, thanks again everyone.

Question - I'm currently reviewing the Assault on Edan Base from the Introductory adventure. I would like to share more background info than the book provides to help immerse the players. Does anyone know which era this would have been from? It has the feel of the Rebellion era to me, so I'm thinking it should take place during the original trilogy?
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Edan_II
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When not stated, the timeframe is assumed to be after Yavin and prior to ESB/RotJ.

When I ran it, at no point did any player ever even think to ask what the timeframe we were going to be playing in. They instantly grokked the genre/situation. This is Star Wars, we are Rebels, the Empire is attacking, evacuate! Pitch-perfect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: