The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars The Force Awakens Novelization
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars The Force Awakens Novelization Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: "Sub-hyperspace" Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
The Starkiller weapon operates on unbelievable technology. The Resistance people are stymied. Finn tells them that the weapon doesn't move through what they all know of as normal hyperspace. It moves through a new dimension, what the First Order calls "sub-hyperspace" or "sub-space". Evidently, this new dimension is the reason the beam can be delivered across stellar distances so fast. Finn makes a comment along those lines.

D6 Note: Otherspace, anywone?

Sub-space has another analog in the EU: Subspace. "It was a distinct dimension from realspace, like hyperspace and otherspace."

Finn said, as ADF wrote:
It fires through a hole in the continuum that it makes itself.

"Unlike typical hyperspace, which moved across the galaxy, sub-hyperspace would move through the galaxy. The First Order's Starkiller Base was able to collect a form of dark energy called quintessence, transform it into phantom energy, and unleash it along a linear path through sub-hyperspace, enabling it to destroy entire star systems across vast interstellar distances in real-time."

Hyperspace and sub-hyperspace move? One moves "across" the galaxy and the other moves "through" it? The Starkiller Base was able to collect a form of <misused real science term> called <real word that sounds cool with new unrelated Star Wars meaning>, transform it into <another misused real science term>, and unleash it along a linear path through <prefixed existing sci-fi convention for new concept>.

This is nonsensical rubbish, even for Star Wars. And people thought George Lucas was bad with "Human-Cyborg" Relations, the "binary" language of moisture vaporators, and making the Kessel Run in less than 12 "parsecs." They're not even trying with the Disney technobabble fluff.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: "Sub-hyperspace" Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
This is nonsensical rubbish, even for Star Wars. And people thought George Lucas was bad with "Human-Cyborg" Relations, the "binary" language of moisture vaporators, and making the Kessel Run in less than 12 "parsecs." They're not even trying with the Disney technobabble fluff.

Normally, I would agree. But, what do we really know of hyperspace? We basically know that it exists in the SW universe. That massive gravity bodies are shadowed in it. And, that a ship can move faster, from our perspective in normal space, from one point to another.

And, that's basically it.

There's so much that we accept with regards to SW tech.

Why not the idea that subspace exists and is different from hyperspace? Why not that subspace moves through the galaxy and that hyperspace moves over it?

If you can swallow hyperspace at all, what's wrong with swallowing those other concepts about it?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting close to the end. I am really enjoying this novelization. ADF did a great job. He usually does. The book is delivering the extra detail that I like to hear in my novelizations.

I recommend the Rogue One novelization, too. Alexander Freed did a very good job on that book. It's also a top not Audible book with a good narrator.

I don't recommend Catalyst, the prequel book to Rogue One. I found it long and drawn out. It felt like a short story that was padded to be a novel. The story should have been a short story in an anthology. Then, it would have been a pretty good story, cutting out all the boring parts.

One thing that is more prevalent in TFA novelization is Snoke fear of Luke Skywalker. He is very wary of the Master Jedi coming out of hiding, gathering up the troops, and defeating the First Order. Eliminating the Skywalker threat is his number one agenda.

The Starkiller weapon sucks up Dark Energy to produce the beam. It is not clear yet whether a star is even involved. When I get to that part, I'll let you know. Ackbar says that Dark Energy is the most prevalent thing in the universe. It's all around us. It's everwhere. So, the weapon has an unlimited ammunition supply. The star is not mentioned.

The dark energy is gathered through collectors on the planet's surface. The weapon runs through the core of the planet. The Resistance fighters speculate on how this energy is contained. Even the planet's magnetic field is not powerful enough to contain it.

The Resistance Admiral Statura has a background in the sciences, and he figures that the only way to possibly power the containment field is to oscillate it. If these oscillators can be destroyed, especially while the weapon is fully charged, then the energy will be released--and it's enough to destroy the entire planet.

This may change later in the book, but right now, it sounds like the reason the Resistance doesn't have to deal with the First Order fleet is because they get in close, near the surface, to Starkiller. That's why the shield has to come down. The Resistance has no hope going up against the FO fleet. Ackbar states this. That's when Han comes up with his idea to pass through the planetary shield at light speed. Basically, Han's exit point out of hyperspace is under the planetary shield.

Yep, it's impossible. Yep, Han Solo is a hero that can pull off the impossible. BIG DAMN HEROES! SPACE OPERA! POW-POW-ZIP-BANG!

Finn, from his time stationed on Starkiller, know where, on the planet, the controls to the shield are.

The First Order doesn't quite know where the Resistance base is located. The FO locked onto one of the Resitance Scouts buzzing around Starkiller and followed it back to the Ileenium system. The FO knows that there are two--possibly three--worlds in that system that can sustain life. D'Qar is one of them, but they haven't narrowed that down yet. They'll have it in a few hours once the scouts report.

But, Snoke does want to wait. He orders that the weapon be used to destroy the entire system. Ren gives him some flack about this--he think that they should just take out the base, not the entire system.

For the first time, other Resistance cells are mentioned. The information about Skywalker might have already left the system to go to other cells. To be on the safe side, from Snoke's point of view, blow the entire system up. Blow it all up.

So, the weapon charges.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "Sub-hyperspace" Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill wrote:

Normally, I would agree. But, what do we really know of hyperspace? We basically know that it exists in the SW universe. That massive gravity bodies are shadowed in it. And, that a ship can move faster, from our perspective in normal space, from one point to the other.

And, that's basically it.

There's so much that we accept with regards to SW tech.

Why not the idea that subspace exists and is different from hyperspace? Why not that subspace moves through the galaxy and that hyperspace moves over it?

If you can swallow hyperspace at all, what's wrong with swallowing those other concepts about it?

It's not about swallowing anything. Those sentences don't actually make any sense on their own. These other dimensions of existence are moving "across", "through" and "over" the galaxy - These differing prepositions are meaningless here. And why are they "moving" at all? Ships (and the Starkiller weapon energy) move though these dimensions. Traditionally, hyperspace was coterminous with realspace meaning that every point in one dimension corresponds to a point in another. The only movement of realspace is the universal expansion of galaxy clusters moving apart from each other since the Big Bang, space being warped by being dragged around black holes, etc., so according to Star Wars lore Hyperspace would only move identically with realspace as it moved to maintain the point-to-point correspondence. Hyperspace doesn't have any of its own movement different than realspace's movement, so for all intents and purposes both of these two dimensions are "still" with respect to each other.

Now "Sub-hyperspace" is quasi-new concept so they could say that unlike hyperspace it is moving with respect to realspace. Does it flow like an FTL river so that the Starkiller weapon energy hopes in and takes a ride to its destination, then gets off and destroys systems (or turns planets into stars or what have you)? The descriptions don't say that. The novelization says the Starkiller base "doesn't operate in what we'd call normal hyperspace. It fires through a hole in the continuum that it makes itself. Everybody was calling it 'sub'-hyperspace." So Sub-hyperspace is a somehow moving hole in the realspacetime continuum made by the Starkiller?

This makes no sense, and they didn't just say that Sub-hyperspace moves. The book says Hyperspace moves also, which totally throws the old way Hyperspace worked completely out the window. But somehow the movement of these two dimensions is different from each other with respect to realspace. The prepositions used to differentiate these movements are, to be very generous, inadequate. But I think nonsensical rubbish completely applies.

And finally, no one is saying that Star Wars can't take existing real world terms and repurpose them to mean something different in the Star Wars galaxy, but it's just lazy. Look up "Dark Energy", Phantom Energy", and "Quintessence" and you will see that these real world terms have nothing at all to do with how they are being used in this book. Overall, ADF is really phoning it is with the scientific gobbledygook, and this rubbish is now canon. It's just a collection of a bunch of words that don't mean actually mean anything at all, and I think it is obvious he was just hoping the editor would think it was science-sounding enough to not require him to devise any cohesive verbiage that made even fictional sense.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "Sub-hyperspace" Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
But I think nonsensical rubbish completely applies.

Not to me. It's enough to sink my teeth into. I don't really care how real it is. Hyperspace isn't real (as far as we know), but I accept it in the SW universe.

If I can accept that, I can accept the rest of the make-believe science.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably be done with the book tomorrow. I need to download TLJ tonight.

The battle is on to take out Starkiller Base.

So far, there's been no mention of any of the First Order fleet. Maybe they were all away from the planet when the attack happens.

The same basic story is being told, but the scenes are different. There's a chase scene that I think was dropped from the film, outside, with Finn and Rey in speeders.

In the book, Rey is more key to their success than Finn having worked there. I didn't get this from the film. Rey has spent her entire life crawling around the dead hulks of the old Empire fleet. She knows her way around an Imperial tech system. Without this knowledge, the book gives you the impression that Han, Chewie, and Finn would have failed. It was Rey who knew what to do, where to go and when. She knew what things did. She even comments, "This part would have gotten me three portions!"

Kylo Ren senses Han and the others. He goes looking for them. He's not sure, but he investigates. When Han meets him, Kylo is portrayed (and this may be more due to the way the narrator played Ren rather than ADF's text) more like a typical bad guy Sith (Yeah, I know he's not a Sith). It's got a more Flash Gordon BIG BAD GUY appeal.

Now, this isn't bad. It's just different than the complicated human that we see in the film. I like the way Ren is portrayed in the book--it's very "Star Wars". But, I like the way Ren is in these scenes in the film better--as its different and gives me a deeper, more interesting character.

There is no mention of using the star's energy. It's all Dark Energy being collected by the superweapon. So much is collected that the Dark Energy begins to darken the sky--it's not the sun going dim as in the film. There's also no mention of Starkiller base being able to break orbit and zoom around the galaxy as a big space station (of course, the movie didn't give me this impression, either--but if you use up a sun, you need more ammo).

It is revealed that the superweapon does have a range, although it a hell of a range. The weapon can reach about half the way across the galaxy. So, if Starkiller base does not move, and your world happens to be more than half the galaxy away, there are places to hide--there are worlds that cannot be reached and targeted.

I think it would have been neat if Starkiller base wasn't destroyed in that first film. Let it linger as a huge threat--the Resistance having to stay out of range for the weapon. It could finally be blown up in Ep VIII or IX.

Han's death was done well in the book. It's very close to what we see in the movie--and, again, this is probably due to the voice acting more that it is due to the text--but it is very effective.

In fact, had I read the book first, I think the book, as it is narrated in this audiobook, would have had more impact on me. "They killed Han! HAN! REALLY! THOSE DIRTY b@st@rd*! THEY KILLED KENNEY..er, I mean, HAN! THEY KILLED HAN SOLO! OH, THE RAGE, THE RAGE!"
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished it.

Damn good novelization. Highly recommended.

There isn't a whole lot more to tell. Snoke got into Rey's mind on Starkiller base. I thought that interesting.

The scene with R2-D2 is done better in the book rather than the movie. I mean, the scene is basically the same, except the book gives a little more explanation.

The book doesn't quite say, but my interpretation is that R2 shut himself off when Luke left. The little droid is sad. He must be aware of his surroundings even though he's powered down because he comes alive, by himself (BB-8 doesn't bump into him as in the movie), when he hears C-3P0, Leia, Poe, and the others talking about Luke's map that BB-8 carries.

The Resistance leadership is talking about how the Imperials had taken out all the Jedi temples and had amassed an amazing amount of information about the Jedi during this process.

R2 comes awake and rolls into the Resistance Command Room, among them, and says, basically, that he's amassed a huge amount of Imperial data during his decades of service, and that he may have stored the information from the Imperial Archives.

THIS is how R2 is able to decipher BB-8's map and find Luke's location.

I like that better than what happened in the film, but I guess that's too much extraneous information to display in a film like Star Wars. I can understand why they didn't spend a lot of time on it.

And, hey, that's why I read novelizations--to pick up cool things like that.

Good book. Lots of extra. I do recommend it.

May The Force Be With You.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: