The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hyperspace Routes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Hyperspace Routes Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Hyperspace Routes Reply with quote

Here's something that the rules don't quite cover, I don't think. When reading the rules, it seems like that a ship, making a hyperspace jump, will enter hyperspace one time and then exit one time at the ship's destination.

But, if you look at the popular maps online of the Star Wars galaxy (and even some D6 game maps, like the Tapani Expanse map, and especially the Elrood Sector Map), travelling through hyperspace is more like following the interstate freeways from one point to another.

The question is: Do ships have to exit hyperspace and realign themselves often?

I would think not, just like merging from I-10 to I-35, you stay on the freeway.

Looking at THIS MAP, it would seem, if traveling from Tatooine to Alderaan, that a ship would leave Tatooine and merge with the Corellian Run, then merge again with the Hydian Way, before exiting at Alderaan.

Do you think that is all entailed in one jump? Or is exiting and re-entering Hyperspace assumed?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the astrogation course includes all waypoints so to speak, however just because there seems to be hubs and way points dosn't have to mean you jump in and out of hyperspace on the trip
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i do think you have to pop out of hyperspace, and realign yourself at those waypoints..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Do ships exit hyperspace and realign themselves often? Reply with quote

No, at least in the EU. Ships can and do change direction in Hyperspace. Astrogation is plotting the course through Hyperspace which includes these turns.

Of course there may occasionally be obstructions you have to drop out of Hyperspace to navigate through in realspace on sublight engines and then go back to lightspeed, but these would be few and far between. Astrogators will try to avoid those situations.

The course normally plotted will include all the route to route connections.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Do ships exit hyperspace and realign themselves often? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
No, at least in the EU. Ships can and do change direction in Hyperspace. Astrogation is plotting the course through Hyperspace which includes these turns.

Of course there may occasionally be obstructions you have to drop out of Hyperspace to navigate through in realspace on sublight engines and then go back to lightspeed, but these would be few and far between. Astrogators will try to avoid those situations.

The course normally plotted will include all the route to route connections.

Agreed. I also think Han's statement in ANH does not contradict it. "Without precise calculations, you could plow right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova"... while it MIGHT be that you're trying to plot a single, straight-line, course from A to B, it can equally be that you've got to plot around a few dangers.

Counter-evidence, though, would be some of the short-cuts on the Hyperspace charts... Bespin to Coruscant is 6 days and 14 hours, but Bespin to Corellia and Corellia to Coruscant is 10 hours, plus a little bit to calculate a new route from Corellia to Coruscant.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Do ships exit hyperspace and realign themselves often? Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Agreed. I also think Han's statement in ANH does not contradict it. "Without precise calculations, you could plow right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova"... while it MIGHT be that you're trying to plot a single, straight-line, course from A to B, it can equally be that you've got to plot around a few dangers.

The scene in the first X-Wing novel definitely shows a plot around obstacles while in hyperspace.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue One wrote:

Cassian: Set course for Eadu.
K-2SO: Setting course for Eadu.
(The U-wing doesn't drop out of hyperspace as K-2SO says this)

Yeah, now in canon, ships can change direction while in hyperspace. Otherwise, what are the odds that in a blind jump from within a planetary gravity well the U-wing just happened to be already traveling in the very direction of Eadu so a course correction wouldn't have been needed if you have to drop out of hyperspace to make a cross-galaxy course correction?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, in TFA novelization, Poe orders a hyperspace route change before the attack on Starkiller base. He comms through hyperspace to the rest of the squadron.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which kind of flew in the face of what we saw in the prequels and original trilogy of not being able to receive comms in hyperspace.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for mere opinion of a GM, I always maintain that hyperspace travel is pretty much linear with frequent drops into real space to get into position for the next jump.

Along very busy routes these transition points can be pretty large, having a ship traverse in real space a fair distance to get to the new jump point. Almost like a portage.

For my game this has frequent opportunities for ships to encounter each other in space rather than just at a final destination.

It also accounts for ships having pilots actually have take control of the ship on a long voyage as opposed to plotting a course, and flipping the hyperspace switch.

While I know that in reality, space is very wide open, in my space opera way of thinking, straight lines of excessive length are rare (darkmatter, gravity eddies or whatever technobabble would account for it.)
Those are the ones that really save time on a trip.

Routes like the Hydian Way look sinuous, but that is a factor of scale.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Which kind of flew in the face of what we saw in the prequels and original trilogy of not being able to receive comms in hyperspace.

Did we just assume that, because we didn't see it in the films? Or is it actually written or shown somewhere that comms can't be used in hyperspace?

Is that written anywhere in the D6 game?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Can you think of a specific example? Like, a time when they said to drop out of hyperspace to communicate, or couldn't because someone was in hyperspace?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a specific example, no. BUT the only time we DID see them comming back and forth was when they were in real space...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Not a specific example, no. BUT the only time we DID see them comming back and forth was when they were in real space...

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Just because we don't see communications in hyperspace in some films doesn't mean that it was impossible. If it is not established one way or the other in some films, and then it appears in other films, there is no contradiction.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say it depends on the quality of your calculations for jump to hyperspace. If you made a particularly good calculation, you do not have to stop and re-orient your course as you move along. If you rolled more poorly, then the nav computer only takes you to the nearest "hub" (system) or to the junction point of a major hyperspace route (junction).

The advantage of hyperspace routes, as they are shown, is that those routes are generally most traveled and more typically free of hazards. They are "safer" routes. That makes calculating jumps to hyperspace along known routes easier to accomplish than calculating a jump to a completely unknown area, or uncharted space.

Being a scout type character, moving out into the "unexplored" territories would be much more dangerous, and thus require significantly shorter hyperspace jumps to hopefully avoid the hazards of uncharted space. Those that found a "safe" route to and from an area could map that route and publish it and get credit for it as well as being able to take advantage of it as they traverse that area.

So, for the well traveled areas of the Inner Rim and Expansion Region, those lanes would be relatively easy to plot a clean course, and likewise easy as you calculated the transition onto the Corellian Run. So with a good roll, you can make the whole trip from Harrin to Tynna to Druckenwell in the Mid Rim via the Corellian Run without needing to stop anywhere along the path.

But going from Ruusan in the Mid Rim to Phaeda in the Outer Rim, both of which are nowhere near a major hyperspace lane, it is going to take many stops and recalculations as you move along.

That's my two bits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: