The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D6 Rules...What Have The New Films Changed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> D6 Rules...What Have The New Films Changed? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Hmm... I can see how you can come to that conclusion based on this paragraph on page 74 in the R&E:

Quote:
Whenever a character makes a skill or attribute die roll, the player must choose one die of a different color to be the character's wild die (this is not an extra die; it's just a different color).

The lack of mention would make it seem that it is not included in damage or defense. But later in the right hand column of the same page it says:

Quote:
The wild die rule counts for all rolls in the game, including skill and attribute checks, weapon damage, and rolling Perception for initiative.

Mess-sa been told ya godda get up real early to catch Whill wrong with dem rules!

I don't use the Wild Die, so I'm not as familiar with it, being a First Edition guy and all.

Has it always been that way...used for damage, even in 2E before R&E?
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am aware that we have users here from many different places on the political spectrum and we are all here to get along in peace because we love Star Wars and the RPG.

I don't love Star Wars. I do love the RPG. I hope that's okay.

My house rules for bowcasters are as follows:

Bowcasters

Bowcasters, used almost exclusively by Wookiees, fire a metal projectile infused with plasma, it explodes on contact, doing damage to the entire area. I use half the range of a grenade for area damage. Bowcasters do 4D damage, plus the damage of the projectile. The more expensive the projectile the more damage it adds. Bowcasters have a strength requirement of 4D to handle the recoil.

Bowcasters cost 4D

+1D projectiles cost 1D for 100 rounds
+2D projectiles cost 2D for 100 rounds.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes some sense to me.
and explains the super-death-star-killer base power of chewie's bowcaster compared to the flat 4D damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
and explains the super-death-star-killer base power of chewie's bowcaster compared to the flat 4D damage

I've definitely played some Star Wars PC games in the past where the bowcaster damage didn't seem like all that much--definitely not what was shown in TFA. I think that's got to be a tuned up bowcaster, or like the above post says, is using other ammunition.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

I've definitely played some Star Wars PC games in the past where the bowcaster damage didn't seem like all that much--definitely not what was shown in TFA. I think that's got to be a tuned up bowcaster, or like the above post says, is using other ammunition.

I have also considered the possibility of light, medium and heavy bowcasters.
Maybe the "stock" 4D is the normally available throughout the galaxy (but still rare) Light Blowcaster.
The medium dealing 5D and is heavy for a human.
the heavy one perhaps deals 6D and should maybe be too heavy for a human with less than max(4D) str.

Maybe even +2 on the medium and heavy one to a 5D+2 and a 6D+2
(on homeworld the regular/light deals additional +2 for 4D+2)
With the ones available really being fitted with a pistol powerscourse due to lack of the wookie one

That is one way to explain it, and then saying chewie have a medium one, after all it looked very heavy to Han

This naturally will be speculation.

Did we see a change in TIEs featuring ejection seats?
and did we see something like this in rebels, pilot ejection
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Did we see a change in TIEs featuring ejection seats?
and did we see something like this in rebels, pilot ejection

The cut-a-way in the Star Wars Sourcebook shows an X-Wing ejection seat. I would assume the TIEs have them, too.

I've always wondered how the pilot breathes in space with the open helm. I think a Marvel comic (may have been another comic) showed an ejection one time where the pilot had a miniature forcefield form around the pilot's head.

I've also seen the idea that the ejection chair has a forcefield to protect the pilot once out in space (plus extra air, some food, a battery for warmth, distress beacon, backup comm unit, etc).

Elsewhere, over the years, I think I've seen a flexible bag shoot out of the pilot's fluffy (water flotation, it looks like) collar.

I've also seen the idea where parts of the helmet shoot out to cover the exposed areas.

Then, there's this...but I don't know how a pilot would get that face piece on quickly in an ejection situation. I think this is from the adapation for Heir to the Empire.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Argentsaber wrote:
I personally solved this by just letting the damage dice from the bowcaster explode like a wild die, but otherwise remaining the same.

The Wild Die for bowcaster and brawling damage already explode. Do you mean for bowcaster damage, every die is a wild die instead of only one wild die?

I was not wrong with the rules. My first sentence is RAW (as Cheshire later pointed out). The second sentence was directed at Argentsaber to ask what he meant. From his wording referring to a personal solution, it sounded like he implemented a house rule and I wasn't sure what he meant. I was asking if that was the house rule that he implemented. Not misquoting RAW.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Fri May 29, 2020 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I was not wrong with the rules. My first sentence is RAW (as Cheshire later pointed out)...

Sir, I already responded, in a cutesy immitation of a Gungan, saying that it was hard to catch your lordship wrong with the...ahhh...ahhh..ehhhhhh...my throat....can't....breathe....

(Falls to the floor.)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Zarn wrote:
At least the bowcaster got some on-screen love.

Big time. And, I like how it was portrayed, too. Big boom. The bowcaster is a 4D weapon. Ever had player, running a Wookiee with STR 5D or more, say something like, "Why would I ever use a weapon like this? I can hit harder than this thing!"

Maybe the Bowcaster was underpowered in the game, but I think that also speaks to an inherent flaw in the game system...

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=164728#164728

OR since it WAS chewie's bowcaster, he's modified it to max damage (5d+2 base) AND has explosive tipped quarrels (+1d damage)..

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill wrote:
Do you mean for bowcaster damage, every die is a wild die instead of only one wild die?

Bowcaster damage doesn't explode, by the rules. The Wild Die only applies to skill and attribute rolls, not damage rolls.

Actually the wild die applies to every roll. not just those based on skills or attributes. The only 2 it doesn't are the DSP turning avoidance roll, and the "see if you die when you are at mortally wounded" roll.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...In another thread on the subject of Bowcasters, I made the weapon's damage Speeder-scale to offset the high Strength requirement & limited ammo. It didn't seem unbalanced, & in my games this worked pretty well.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:
...In another thread on the subject of Bowcasters, I made the weapon's damage Speeder-scale to offset the high Strength requirement & limited ammo. It didn't seem unbalanced, & in my games this worked pretty well.

Yeah that could work.

I considered actually giving it the same damage as the repeater 6D, this for two reasons.
1) The weapon is supposed to be "too heavy to handle" by non wookies, this giving their STR attribute a connection to a racial/cultural weapon.

2) The weapon appears in the tfa to be dealing more damage than Han's heavy blaster (also most likely suped up as well)

I would also add to the requiremnets of the weaoon a minimum str score of 3D same as with some (fan creations) to reflect the heavy weapon nature of the weapon.

Alternative is to have a bowcaster that by it self deals 0 damage, but deals damage(and effects) according to ammo.

"Normal" ammo is a x shop powerpack dealing 4D damage
then you have ammo all the way up to 6D or maybe even 7D damage, though the heaviest "bolts" should maybe have a recoil or something
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been getting my SW fix from talking about space bird people for the Adventurers Journal, so I haven't been to the Pit in a while.

On the original question, the hyperspace jumps and gravity wells thing was really unexpected. I think both stories could have been told (Episode VII and VIII) without messing with the established "rules". Along with that is the "hyperspace jump ram attack". Good thing it was in a movie, because if it was a game it just became broken.

On the bowcaster, I left the 4D damage as being the damage inflicted by an unpowered metal quarrel (which is nearly silent, btw). There were other quarrels that could be built or bought that had other effects. The last PC that had a bowcaster had one that was combined with a blaster rifle. This setup worked fairly well because he would look for components to make various quarrels, and was going to learn how to make other quarrel types by gaining renown and doing tasks for various Wookiee clans.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bowcaster, I find it silly that a wookiee's minimum strength (for the species) is higher than the damage of a brand new bowcaster.

It's like Conan the Barbarian using a slingshot. Not saying a slingshot is useless, but Conan could do more damage just by grabbing his enemy's face and smashing it on the ground. The slingshot would never be Conan's primary means of doing damage. Yet, the bowcaster is for the wookiees, who, apparently use their bowcasters to hunt/kill predators that are significantly more resilient than the wookiees themselves.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
On the bowcaster, I find it silly that a wookiee's minimum strength (for the species) is higher than the damage of a brand new bowcaster.

The minimum STR for a Wookiee is 2D+2, per 2E rules.

You might be looking at the average STR, which is 4D+1.

Under 1E rules, the maximum STR for any Alien character is 5D. Under 2E, that changes to 6D for Wookiees.

I sometimes think, with many game systems and not just WEG D6, that there are unintended consequences when the base system is altered/updated/house ruled.

In D&D, the example I'd point to is a Dart. In AD&D, the Dart allowed characters three attacks per round. That's three attacks, doing 1d3 damage. Not a bad choice for some character classes with limited weapon choice.

As D&D 3E rolled around, the combat round went to a 5 second round vs. the one minute combat round from AD&D. And, thus, the Dart could be used to attack only once per round--which made it an extremely poor choice as a weapon: Three attacks per round vs. one attack per round, with any successful attack doing 1d3.

I feel that the bowcaster might be subject to the same time of unintended consequences. If the maximum STR on any character is 5D, the 4D damage for the bowcaster is a pretty strong weapon.

The weapons in the game (the base weapons created in 1E) were designed mechanically to be used against characters with STR in the 2D-4D (humans and many aliens) or the 1D-5D (aliens) range.

Look at the templates at the back of the 1E core rulebook. Those are examples of how player characters in 1E turn out, and the 4D Bowcaster is about right compared to those characters.

Remember, too, that NPCs have 6D less in stats than what is shown on those templates. A 4D Bowcaster would tear up an NPC and be a decent challenge to a hero player character.

With 2E, you've got skill bloat, and to a certain extent, some attribute bloat, too, as with the 6D STR Wookiee.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean. However, you're not considering certain otherrelevant facts. A blaster pistol does 4D damage. A heavy blaster 5D. A rifle does 5D damage,etc. There are weapons that should be weaker than the bowcaster, but they are equal or stronger.

I feel that the bowcaster should be 5D+2 or 6D damage base, and can be modified or optioned up from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: