The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

GM Uses The Force!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> GM Uses The Force! Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: GM Uses The Force! Reply with quote

OK, here's a question.

Remember the scene in TESB where Luke is training with Yoda. Luke is standing on his hands and levitating rocks plus R2. Then, he gets a vision or a feeling of Han and Leia in trouble. The rocks fall. R2 falls. And, Luke collapses on the ground.

He says that he's got to go help his friends.

The Question: How would you mechanically repeat this in a game?

The PC, Luke, is using his Force Power to levitate the rocks and R2. The PC doesn't initiate a power to peek in on his friends.

So, is this a power that the PC is using at all? Using a power that he doesn't realize he's using? Kinda like noticing something with your sight when you are not looking for anything in particular.

Or, is this just the Force, speaking to the PC, by way of the GM? It's no power of the PC being used at all.

Thoughts on how you'd run this in a game?

A similar instance happens in the same movie, when Luke finishes his run with Yoda on his back and then notices the Dark Side Cave.

It's almost like a Perception check to see if the character notices it--or how much he notices. It's not initiated by the PC (so, is the PC actually using a Force Power?).
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: GM Uses The Force! Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
OK, here's a question.

Remember the scene in TESB where Luke is training with Yoda. Luke is standing on his hands and levitating rocks plus R2. Then, he gets a vision or a feeling of Han and Leia in trouble. The rocks fall. R2 falls. And, Luke collapses on the ground.

He says that he's got to go help his friends.

The PC, Luke, is using his Force Power to levitate the rocks and R2. The PC doesn't initiate a power to peek in on his friends.

So, is this a power that the PC is using at all? Using a power that he doesn't realize he's using? Kinda like noticing something with your sight when you are not looking for anything in particular.

Or, is this just the Force, speaking to the PC, by way of the GM? It's no power of the PC being used at all.

Thoughts on how you'd run this in a game?

A similar instance happens in the same movie, when Luke finishes his run with Yoda on his back and then notices the Dark Side Cave.

It's almost like a Perception check to see if the character notices it--or how much he notices. It's not initiated by the PC (so, is the PC actually using a Force Power?).

When I give a force sensitive character a force-vision...I just do. For plot reasons.

Sometimes I'll make the vision interactive with a few choices or skill checks that may influence the 'cut scene'.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For things like Farseeing, I'm okay with rolling the character's sense skill for them to receive a vision. Farseeing/Sense seems like one of those skills that can happen passively when the GM wants to insert a plot hook.

It's easier in 1E, since they don't have the magic spell list for using the Force like 2E or 2E R&E.

But, the Force works in mysterious ways, so a GM can roll a power for a player even if they don't have conscious access to it, that's GM's prerogative.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: GM Uses The Force! Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
When I give a force sensitive character a force-vision...I just do. For plot reasons.

Sometimes I'll make the vision interactive with a few choices or skill checks that may influence the 'cut scene'.

I like that. That's nice. Especially the interactive part.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I like this as well, it's definitely useful if you need a vision for sure. Maybe roll the dice for no reason, and just enter the force vision to keep the players on their toes.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: GM Uses The Force! Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

It's called a Force Vision, something most WEG modules, had in addition to cut scenes and commercials..

In sparks, we sometimes have force users (OR even just force sensitives) roll sense/perception to receive it..
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: GM Uses The Force! Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

It's called a Force Vision, something most WEG modules, had in addition to cut scenes and commercials..

In sparks, we sometimes have force users (OR even just force sensitives) roll sense/perception to receive it..

I don't remember that. Then again, I haven't played too many of the adventures.

Do you happen to have a reference somewhere?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Force Sensitive characters have all Force Powers, if the Force wills it.

So, if you've got a glimmer of Sense, you might have a force vision if I want you to.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to the Luke in training and getting his vision scenario and how I as a GM would play this out.

I would regardless of any roll simply give the vision, with the effect of the current actions breaking and Luke and R2 falls down.

I view that as the "living and sentient" force, and as GM that is sort of in my direct influence.

With other types of force use, I tend to use descriptions based much on "fantasy type" magic, fireballs and lightning, how I use them in D&D or Pathfinder, is basically the same in my games.
Naturally the mechanics are different and different dice are rolled, but to me lightining nd describing the effects are the same.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rule it as a Force-use Mishap. Luke succeeded on the Telekinesis roll, but got a 1 on the Wild Dice, which triggered Farseeing for an uncontrolled Force Vision.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I'd rule it as a Force-use Mishap. Luke succeeded on the Telekinesis roll, but got a 1 on the Wild Dice, which triggered Farseeing for an uncontrolled Force Vision.

Strange. How is the Farseeing kicking in a complication or a mishap?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: GM Uses The Force! Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

I don't remember that. Then again, I haven't played too many of the adventures.

Do you happen to have a reference somewhere?

Hmm.. I could have sworn that was a core rule, but i am not seeing it in the 2e R&# book in ref to designing adventures..

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

I agree, i can't see another force power kicking in on a complication/mishap roll for a different power.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: GM Uses The Force! Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

I agree, i can't see another force power kicking in on a complication/mishap roll for a different power.

The Force is subdivided into powers for gaming purposes, not because the Force itself is divided. Whatever power you're using, you're still using the Force.

The sequence of events in ESB goes thusly:
    1). Luke is using the Force to stand on his head while TK'ing various objects.

2). As this is occuring, Yoda tells Luke about Farseeing.

3). Luke experiences a Farseeing vision, and the TK power fails.

4). Yoda chides Luke about learning Control
In metagaming terms, it goes something like this:
    1). The GM is looking for an excuse to railroad the story on to Bespin.

2). Luke (the PC) either fails the TK roll, or succeeds with a Wild Dice failure.

3). The GM inserts a Vision, then requires Luke to re-roll Alter to maintain TK, but at a higher Difficulty (or with a MAP, due to Farseeing).

4). Luke fails and everything drops, but the seed for the next story arc is planted.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: GM Uses The Force! Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The GM is looking for an excuse to railroad the story on to Bespin.

LOL. That cracks me up. Very Happy
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: GM Uses The Force! Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
The GM is looking for an excuse to railroad the story on to Bespin.

LOL. That cracks me up. Very Happy
Mr. Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: