The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Solo (original spoilers thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Solo (original spoilers thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
Does this mean that the Imperial band was practicing during TESB.

Yes.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No real strong feelings about this one. Unfortunately the theater was almost empty, so the audience reactions were pretty tepid. But I just didn’t really feel much until the Reminiscence Therapy scene, which was awesome. I wish it were a little funnier—the script was smart, but it missed Harrison Ford’s improvisational genius. I’m not sure the Corellia sequence helped the movie. I wish there were more color—and in general I would have liked if it could have imitated the OT look-and-feel (-and-sound) much better. The weirdest thing was L3. Her death was played straight as a dramatic, emotional character death, and it just came out of nowhere.

But in the final analysis, I liked Han, I liked Chewie, I liked Kira, and I liked Lando, and that counts for a lot. I liked the twists and turns of the story. It’s solidly my 5th favorite SW movie. I don’t love it like my top 4, and it doesn’t have the same rewatchability, but I’ll probably rewatch it every decade or so.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction: We watch the Ewoks movies pretty frequently, here, so I guess that makes Solo my seventh favorite. Wink
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who admittedly thought this movie was a bad idea, I liked it--a lot. I've always been a Chewie fan, and he really got the chance to shine in this one. And for some reason, the people making the stand-alone films are so much better about including content for the diehard fans than are the people making the episodic films. I'm especially surprised/delighted that they included the Falcon being run, at least in part, by droid brains. The reference to Teras Kasi was fun too. But the thoughtfulness demonstrated in Rogue One and Solo makes me even more disappointed in the new Episodes, which imo, are unholy abominations sent to defile beloved characters.

Totally surprised by Maul showing up. So glad they got Ray Park and Sam Witwer to do it. I suspect that scene is something of a teaser for the Obi-Wan movie. That would give us a chance to see what becomes of Qira as well....
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Maul insertion was dumb. On future viewings I shall put my hand in the field of vision, covering my view of that part of the screen while grumbling, "no...no...no...no..."

My guess is that it's a setup for another movie of some sort.

Other than that, I think it was perfectly serviceable sci-fi. Reasonable plot turns without anything illogical out of left field. Admitedly they did cram a lot of backstory into one movie, but it never felt like it was rushing to shove something in. And it was never done in such a manner that it felt like it interrupted the flow of the plot.

Glover was a great Lando.

It's not stellar movie material, but a perfectly enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. I'll probably see it again when its out on streaming.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did Darth Maul survive being cut in half and falling down a chute? What has he been up to all this time? Why doesn’t his continued existence mess with the Sith (always two there are…)? Why did he light up his lightsaber? Why is he involved in smuggling? Is he headed for a showdown with Han, and if so, wouldn’t that have an affect on Han’s view of the Force as being a bunch of mumbo jumbo? It seems like they were trying to engineer a fangasm moment, but it’s doubtful if it will pay off.
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer, most of those questions are answered in the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons. And I doubt Han will ever cross paths with Maul. More likely it's a setup for the Obi-Wan movie.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:
Falconer, most of those questions are answered in the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons.

Sure, until they’re rebooted out of canon. Wink

nuclearwookiee wrote:
And I doubt Han will ever cross paths with Maul.

What about Kira?

nuclearwookiee wrote:
More likely it's a setup for the Obi-Wan movie.

Which will overwrite the cartoons?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
nuclearwookiee wrote:
Falconer, most of those questions are answered in the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons.

Sure, until they’re rebooted out of canon. Wink

nuclearwookiee wrote:
And I doubt Han will ever cross paths with Maul.

What about Kira?

nuclearwookiee wrote:
More likely it's a setup for the Obi-Wan movie.

Which will overwrite the cartoons?

No reason to change anything so far. Looking at the scene in the falcon cockpit where Han is shocked at Chewie being 190, in ANH he is 200, in the timeline I think at the latest Maul is killed by Obi Wan no earlier than 1-2 BBY, meaning 8-9 years after the movie.

Plenty time for a crime cartel to fall
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Han shot first! Overall, I really enjoyed the movie.

Authors of Wookieepedia wrote:
However, through his hate and will to survive, Maul used the Force to grab an air vent as he was tumbling down the reactor shaft. He then managed to make it to a trash container.[13] Maul's shattered body was dumped on the junkyard world of Lotho Minor.[20] He lived in the bowels of the planet and had his legs replaced by a six-legged apparatus that allowed him to walk again.

This isn't just cartoons anymore. Somebody please give me a better explanation for how Maul survived being cut in half through the waist. Zabrak special ability? They're near-human, so it seems so fantastic.

Sorry, but my "this sounds ridiculous as hell' meter just pingged like crazy on that..

griff wrote:
Also loved that the Imperial recruiting vid had the Imperial March music playing "in world". Does this mean that the Imperial band was practicing during TESB.

Sounds like it..

nuclearwookiee wrote:
Falconer, most of those questions are answered in the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons. And I doubt Han will ever cross paths with Maul. More likely it's a setup for the Obi-Wan movie.

yet another reason to ignore them then.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do feel like I'm missing something, though. Han still owes Lando a pretty sweet ship, right? Or was that last sabbac game a deal where he gets let off that end of the bargain?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I do feel like I'm missing something, though. Han still owes Lando a pretty sweet ship, right? Or was that last sabbac game a deal where he gets let off that end of the bargain?

My interpretation was that the first game was null and void because Han produced evidence that Lando had cheated. When Han won the second game at the end, my understanding was that was when Lando lost the Falcon to him "fair and square". So the second game was a rematch that replaced the first game.

But it seems that Han may still owe Lando for his cut in the heist. Backstory that the movie alone doesn't seem to fulfill is the fact that Lando and Han were "friends" if that in fact was ever true. Han and Lando only just met and had one adventure together in this film. Perhaps they are leaving things open for a sequel. The Han actor had apparently let slip that he had contracted for three films, which of course might be pending the success of this first one. Maybe the next one will shift the focus to Lando but still have Han and Chewie?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my thinking. As it stands, it's about 10ish years before ANH? You've got time for Han to bounce against the nascent Rebellion a couple times, start working for Jabba... all sorts of things.
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
Han shot first! Overall, I really enjoyed the movie.

Authors of Wookieepedia wrote:
However, through his hate and will to survive, Maul used the Force to grab an air vent as he was tumbling down the reactor shaft. He then managed to make it to a trash container.[13] Maul's shattered body was dumped on the junkyard world of Lotho Minor.[20] He lived in the bowels of the planet and had his legs replaced by a six-legged apparatus that allowed him to walk again.

This isn't just cartoons anymore. Somebody please give me a better explanation for how Maul survived being cut in half through the waist. Zabrak special ability? They're near-human, so it seems so fantastic.

Sorry, but my "this sounds ridiculous as hell' meter just pingged like crazy on that..

It would be a lot more believable if Obi-Wan had just severed Maul's legs, but it seems pretty clear from TPM that Obi-Wan gave Maul a hemicorporectomy. To be fair, though, there was no blood gushing out of Maul's torso (other than the initial spray), and Maul was clearly conscious, aware, and moving on his way down the shaft.

Whill wrote:
But it seems that Han may still owe Lando for his cut in the heist.

I don't know, Lando ran away before completing delivery to Crimson Dawn. Han has a good argument that Lando failed to fully perform his side of the bargain. Besides, Beckett was the one that hired Lando, not Han. Razz
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:

It would be a lot more believable if Obi-Wan had just severed Maul's legs, but it seems pretty clear from TPM that Obi-Wan gave Maul a hemicorporectomy. To be fair, though, there was no blood gushing out of Maul's torso (other than the initial spray), and Maul was clearly conscious, aware, and moving on his way down the shaft.

Yeah, I'm just trying hard to be over it. Several years ago I read about Maul's resurrection on a WotC board. I asked someone how in the world they brought him back. They gave as good an answer as anyone could. My next post was just, "Oh good. For a moment I was deeply afraid they were going to do something that made a modicum of sense."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: