The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Question about jet / rocket packs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Question about jet / rocket packs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jet Black
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Question about jet / rocket packs Reply with quote

We're playing Star Wars D6 for years, but somehow, this problem never came up before...

So, jet packs or rocket packs - they're described as having a certain (limited) amount of charges, and it is noted how far one can go with one charge. However, I don't know how using a jet / rocket pack affects the Move rate in combat. Is it one charge per round? Isn't that awfully fast? What do you say?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that you can use 1 charge in a round; while it's very fast compared to walking, I don't think it's terribly fast compared to speeders or other vehicles... and isn't that the point of a jet pack?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the closest thing we we see when boba uses his in rotj, it didn't seem super fast, but yes fast enough.

On that note, which is changed in the canon through rebels, jet pack or rocket packs? because there it was a sustained flight device with good speed and maneuver, though ezra did struggle learning it
Jet Black
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
On that note, which is changed in the canon through rebels, jet pack or rocket packs? because there it was a sustained flight device with good speed and maneuver, though ezra did struggle learning it

I'd say that jet packs are better suited to continous operation - it's even mentioned in the description of the device. I do like the tactical applications of rocket packs, however.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about jet / rocket packs Reply with quote

Jet Black wrote:
We're playing Star Wars D6 for years, but somehow, this problem never came up before...

So, jet packs or rocket packs - they're described as having a certain (limited) amount of charges, and it is noted how far one can go with one charge. However, I don't know how using a jet / rocket pack affects the Move rate in combat. Is it one charge per round? Isn't that awfully fast? What do you say?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Using a jet pack is one charge per move action you wish, so theoretically one COULD use up 4 charges a round going all out.. And yes it IS awefully fast
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1E, the Jet Packs don't move any faster than Walking or Running. It's just another form of movement.

In 2E, the description of the pack tells you how far it can move. For example, the rocket pack in the 2E core rule book has 12 charges, and each charge can move the character up to 70 meters vertically or 160 meters horizontally.

Think of a "charge" as a "use". Use one charge per use of the pack per round.

So, it can fly horizontally for 12 x 160 m. = 1920 meters in 12 combat rounds (which is one minute of continuous use) before running out of fuel.
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've always done one burst/action using the movement rate of the pack.
But... I guess if we were to look at vehicles, they only get one move per round like characters, perhaps packs should be the same?

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
In 2E, the description of the pack tells you how far it can move. For example, the rocket pack in the 2E core rule book has 12 charges, and each charge can move the character up to 70 meters vertically or 160 meters horizontally.

If nothing else, we could reverse engineer a base movement speed by assuming the 70/160 max distance corresponds to all-out (x4) movement. So the same pack would have a movement of 17-18m vertical or 40m horizontal. A little more reasonable anyway.

And the normal movement rules for accelerating a vehicle would apply, which means you couldn't fly the max distance in the first round of movement (can't go from stationary to x4 in a vehicle in one round).
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can mean and feel what ever we want to about Rebels, but it is canon, just as much as ROTJ.

The question is this, what is used for sustained flight in rebels, jet pack, rocket pack or something "new"

I would say that either the jet pack or the rocket pack is what we see boba fett use, and the other is what is used in rebels, but jet or rocket and which is what I wonder
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple method that I prefer: Jet and rocket packs will allow you to go X meters per charge, regardless of how long it takes you to go that distance. Once you reach altitude, hovering is essentially "free". So, if your pack will let you go 80m per charge, and you use it to go 5m up and look around, you can hang out at 5m for a while, before going 5m to the ground. Any unused portion of a charge is forfeited.

In theory, yes, this allows for very stupid things (i.e. a droid hovering indefinitely at 30m on a single jet charge), but I allow myself to ignore that. If you prefer, stick a time option on there... a single charge allows for 80m or 5 minutes of flight, whichever comes first.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also rule that jet packs don't work in space, rocket packs works both in atmosphere and in space
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
We can mean and feel what ever we want to about Rebels, but it is canon, just as much as ROTJ.

Different makes/models/modifications can mean all sorts of things and have all sorts of rules. I'd think the WEG rules are meant to simulate Boba Fett's. When interpreting a 1990's rulebook there is no need to retroactively apply new media. Calling it jet vs rocket won't clear up the issue.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of leaning toward giving Jet Packs and Rocket packs a movement speed, and just say that they work via GM Handwave. I'm not disturbed by the idea that both are capable of continuous flight, just give them speeds similar to speeders. With crashes causing damage to the pilot, not to the vehicle.

Keep the vertical/horizontal distances but only for use in determining combat movement.

Otherwise, it's just another method of transportation. I don't feel here's much reason to get too worked up about it.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combat is the only time I'd really roll any dice for one. If someone just wants to use one to get to the top of an undefended platform (such as a roof) GM handwave is the way to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: