The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rogue One - esque campaign
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Rogue One - esque campaign Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KPeterson
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Rogue One - esque campaign Reply with quote

Let's say, hypothetically, you were putting together a Rogue One "era" campaign, using WEG SW 1E. What resources would you use with the core book and the SW Sourcebook to reflect that kind of war story? Be they, additional Rpg sourcebooks, galaxy guides, character templates, commercial visual guides, pre-written adventures, whatever. (lets omit the movie or the novelization, as those are pretty obvious sources).

RO immediately prepends ANH, so you're not really looking at any technological differences. (Some embellishments, like the TX-225 assault tank; stormtrooper variants). But, generally the same worn-out-looking tech with the same limitations.

How would you go about reflecting the feel of RO in a WEG SW campaign? A campaign that's less about protagonist script immunity, and great destinies - something that's more gritty in nature.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracken's Rebel Field Guide for equipment (this is one of my favorite supplements). The Death Star Technical Manual for stats of Imperial personnel and deck plans for Imperial installations (other then the Death Star). And the adventure Mission to Lianna. These are the three I can name off the top of my head.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually one adventure in to a short campaign set right after RO.

The party members are the surviving crew of a downed U-Wing that crashed miles away from their landing site. They witnessed the destruction of the Citadel, and had to make their way to another Imperial installation on the planet to steal a ship and escape.

I figured the Empire didn't build a shield around an entire planet just to protect one installation.

Hideouts and Strongholds came in pretty useful. I'll keep you posted on what else I wind up leaning on as the campaign develops.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

The party members are the surviving crew of a downed U-Wing that crashed miles away from their landing site. They witnessed the destruction of the Citadel, and had to make their way to another Imperial installation on the planet to steal a ship and escape.

I figured the Empire didn't build a shield around an entire planet just to protect one installation.

Hideouts and Strongholds came in pretty useful. I'll keep you posted on what else I wind up leaning on as the campaign develops.

Cool! Tell us more about this campaign. You running or a player? Is the game being ran with the D6 system?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Cool! Tell us more about this campaign. You running or a player? Is the game being ran with the D6 system?

I'm running it. It's the first cross-generational game I've run. Two players 11 and 13, three players 35 and older. One player has never done an RPG before, and was even iffy on the concept (though she seems to very quickly taken a liking to it).

Is it D6? Oh yeah! We're running the R&E with some house rules.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! I look forward to reading more about the campaign!
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

So the party was present at the Battle of Scarif as part of Blue Squadron and not only survived getting shot down but were far enough away from the Citadel to witness its destruction without being in the blast radius? Damn, that's a campaign I'd love to be a part of.

As for building a planetary shield "just to protect one installation," there are two points to make: A) Scarif had more than one Imperial installation as the Visual Guide references some mining of starship materials/metals on the planet, though it's impractical since Scarif is in the Outer Rim and is too far from the Core Worlds (the map of Scarif references an excavation facility known as "Aurek 14," which makes me wonder what happened to Aurek 1 through 13) and B) Scarif is the place where all data pertaining to the Tarkin Initiative was stored because it was one of the most secure installations in the entire Empire (if not the most secure). This was the place where the Empire stored the worst of its dirty secrets precisely because the planet was so far from the Imperial Senate. Not only was it completely out of the way, but it could also be secured for a relative pittance out of the entire Imperial budget with a single space station no larger than a single Star Destroyer or two. Economically, while the Empire couldn't use a single space station to secure every single planet in the galaxy (that sort of thing likely would break the Empire's budget and even Tarkin acknowledges with his doctrine of rule-by-fear that the Empire can't be everywhere at once), it definitely would build a Shield Gate around the one place in the galaxy where all of its Tarkin Initiative project data was stored. Remember all the other project code names that Jyn mentioned as she and Cassian were scanning the database trying to find the Death Star plans? Each and every one of those projects was another apocalyptic device (in various stages of development) the Empire was trying to build to enforce its iron grip on the galaxy. And even when the Death Star was complete and destroyed Jedha, the Empire still wasn't ready to go public since the Empire told the Senate that Jedha was destroyed "in a mining disaster." If the Empire wasn't ready to go public with the Death Star even when it was completed, it makes sense that the Empire would want to store all that incriminating data about all of the other Tarkin Initiative projects in one very secure place.

Also, you mentioned that this campaign takes place shortly after the events of RO/Battle of Scarif, not during? If that's the case, then the shield would already have been down since the Shield Gate was destroyed during the battle, so there's nothing (physically) preventing the arrival of the party on the planet's surface.

cheshire wrote:

HaS is one of my favorite SWD6 supplements. That book is so useful.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like you know a whole lot more about Scariff than I do. That being the case, if I feel good enough about the way this goes to put it together into a mini campaign book or Adventurer's Journal article, I may see if you want to collaborate for revision suggestions.

I'm going to see where the party goes next, but they're obligated to drop off an Imperial army troolper deserter who offered to cooperate to escape the planet. (I figured watching the Empire turn on its own Citadel would have done something to the moralle of some of the rank-and-file troops).

But I know that the party is going to want to return to Yavin Base ASAP...only to find a huge metalic debris field in orbit and the now-compromised base already abandoned. Now they have to re-find their way into the alliance, tracing back their way through their contacts.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds fun.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Well, it looks like you know a whole lot more about Scariff than I do. That being the case, if I feel good enough about the way this goes to put it together into a mini campaign book or Adventurer's Journal article, I may see if you want to collaborate for revision suggestions.

Ooh, that sounds fun. I'm at your disposal.

cheshire wrote:
I'm going to see where the party goes next, but they're obligated to drop off an Imperial army trooper deserter who offered to cooperate to escape the planet. (I figured watching the Empire turn on its own Citadel would have done something to the morale of some of the rank-and-file troops).

Yeah, I can definitely see how any surviving Scarif-based Imperial troops would be sorely tempted to pull a Heel-Face Turn. It's kinda hard to be loyal to a leadership that tried to kill you.

cheshire wrote:
But I know that the party is going to want to return to Yavin Base ASAP...only to find a huge metalic debris field in orbit and the now-compromised base already abandoned. Now they have to re-find their way into the alliance, tracing back their way through their contacts.

Something like this is mentioned in Lost Stars when Thane Kyrell takes a leave of absence from the Rebellion to go to his home planet for personal reasons and he worries about how the return coordinates for his mothership (the Mon Cal cruiser Liberty) are only good for a few days. He knows that if he doesn't get back in time, he'll have to visit as many seedy establishments as he can, hoping to hear whispers about where he might find Rebels without running into ISB agents looking for collaborators.

Last edited by Sutehp on Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rogue One - esque campaign Reply with quote

KPeterson wrote:
Let's say, hypothetically, you were putting together a Rogue One "era" campaign, using WEG SW 1E. What resources would you use with the core book and the SW Sourcebook to reflect that kind of war story?

I'd pull out the Art Of Rogue One and Art of Solo books, to get ideas from the production drawings. And depending on the plot, I'd look toward war movies. Maybe not Saving Private Ryan, which everyone knows, but a movie like Robert Aldrich's "Attack!" or "The Dirty Dozen" which are character pieces that just happen to take place during wartime.

(The R1 art book is especially grand, as it has one of my favorite illustrations since the original trilogy: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/916i2FDDFRL.jpg )
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rogue One - esque campaign Reply with quote

WillTasker wrote:
Let's say, hypothetically, you were putting together a Rogue One "era" campaign, using WEG SW 1E. What resources would you use with the core book and the SW Sourcebook to reflect that kind of war story?

KPeterson wrote:
...And depending on the plot, I'd look toward war movies. Maybe not Saving Private Ryan, which everyone knows, but a movie like Robert Aldrich's "Attack!" or "The Dirty Dozen" which are character pieces that just happen to take place during wartime.

Another WWII movie that might serve as good inspiration is "The Big Red One." As an added bonus, Lee Marvin also stars in this movie, just as he did in both "Attack!" and "The Dirty Dozen."

As a further added bonus, Mark Hamill plays Griff, the other main character in "The Big Red One." Hamill's portrayal of Griff is quite a ways different from young Luke Skywalker in ANH. While Luke is eager for adventure and fighting the good fight against the Empire, Griff has moral doubts about killing/murder (to the point of even confusing the two until the Sarge sets him straight) and decidedly doesn't like being a soldier. While Luke is brave to the point of foolhardiness ("let's go take a look at those Sand People!"), Griff is sometimes so scared that he almost deserts the squad at a couple of points. While Luke is a boy with a destiny, Griff is just another grunt among hundreds of thousands of other grunts in a large war with multiple fronts.

Even if "The Big Red One" doesn't inspire much in the way of a Rogue One campaign, seeing Hamill's portrayal of Griff is still worth seeing for any Star Wars fan.
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had actually considered The Big Red One before hitting Submit (please avoid the theatrical cut and find The Reconstruction cut) Smile
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that movie as a kid in the 80s. I don't remember much about it except it is where I learned what castration was, so it is not a pleasant memory. Shocked
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillTasker wrote:
I had actually considered The Big Red One before hitting Submit (please avoid the theatrical cut and find The Reconstruction cut) Smile

+1 to this. The DVD I have is The Reconstruction cut as well.

Whill wrote:
I saw that movie as a kid in the 80s. I don't remember much about it except it is where I learned what castration was, so it is not a pleasant memory. Shocked

I don't remember that scene or much of anything else of the movie when I watched it as a kid in the 80s on TV. The only parts of the movie I do remember from when I watched it as a kid in the 80s was the D-Day battle scene where Griff is assembling the bangalore at Omaha Beach and the skirmish at the insane asylum ("Killing sane people is ok?" "That's right.")

As for the castration scene, I only saw it for the first time (that I remember) last year when I finally purchased the Reconstruction version of the Big Red One DVD. Ditto for The Tape Knew You Would Say That scene:
Quote:
A German propaganda truck is broadcasting a recording of an Axis Sally-type telling the GI's that their wives back home are shagging other men, etc.
Sarge: "Knock off the bratwurst, Brunhilde, and sing us a lullaby."
Axis Sally: "I'll get to the song in a minute, honey." (soldiers all burst out laughing)

Yeah, if you're going to watch the Big Red One on DVD, make sure to get the Reconstruction version as it has alot of deleted scenes included in the actual film itself. Its total run time is 2 hours and 42 minutes, but so worth it to watch through the whole thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: