The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D6 Rules...What Have The New Films Changed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> D6 Rules...What Have The New Films Changed? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
yup. Since most grenades seem to have 2 meter blast radiuses, then perhaps rockets and missiles should have 3 meter ones.

Where are you getting that? A basic fragmentation grenade has a 10-meter blast radius.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a total blast radius of 10m, but each blast zone is 2m..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
It has a total blast radius of 10m, but each blast zone is 2m..

Except for the Long Range bracket, which is 4 meters.

We also have the Thermal Detonator, which doesn't have the same uniform blast radii, and hits out to 20 meters.

Remember how long you and I chewed on blast radius rules for artillery? I'm not at all surprised WEG left it out. The only answer I ever came up with that I could be satisfied with involved leaving out actual ranges entirely and just calculating damage reduction base don how badly the shot missed.

Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of simplicity, I would use scale table from page 95 of REUP:
All weapons with no listed blast radius would have it = number before the “D”:
Speeders = 2 m, walkers = 4 m, and so on.
Torpedoes, missiles and other similar weapons would triple/quadruple the number before the “D” – looking on massive torpedo explosions from N-1 Starfighter in Ep I and area of shield fluctuation in R1 after hit by X-Wings’ torpedoes.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep wanting something to do with scale... like, every X meters, it scales down one level, but can't think of a way to make it work.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I keep wanting something to do with scale... like, every X meters, it scales down one level, but can't think of a way to make it work.

Ultimately, I just boiled it down to whether or not the shot hit close enough to do damage, and if so, how much. When you're dealing with weaponry that is basically impossible to dodge (short of Force-based precognition), a character's survival is going to be highly based on the whim of the dice and where the character ranks in the storytelling hierarchy (as in, PCs and major NPCs tend to have higher Dodge skill levels than minor NPCs).

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought just occurred to me as a possible solution to the disparate hyperspace travel times in the various media...

We already have Move Levels for all other forms of movement (Cautious, Cruising, Full and All-Out for starships); why not apply those same modifiers to hyperspace travel, with the attendant Difficulty modifiers and the potential for system damage due to extensive use.

Just as an example, the piddly little shuttle used by Finn/Rose in TLJ makes little sense as a high-speed transgalactic platform. But what if they were running the hyperdrive at the HS equivalent of All-Out? A x1 Hyperdrive using the same modifiers as Move Levels would get bumped up to the equivalent of a x 1/4 drive. Unfortunately, running the drive that hard for that long caused the hyperdrive to burn out on arrival, which adds impetus to ditching the ship on the beach; it wasn't any good for the return trip anyway.

I can see this adding another layer of complexity for characters when making speed choices for hyperspace jumps. Sure, you can go 2-4 times faster, but your engine will be running awfully hot for an awful long time to do it. Are you sure it's that important?

griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have too been thinking of the very short hyperspace flight times and was trying to come up with a way to equate the times in the new movies and the time in other sources. But I was rereading the core rule book and found that this has somewhat been addressed. Any hyperspace flight can be shortened with an increase in difficulty. +1 to the difficulty for every day saved, and -1 for every day added to the flight time. So the logical solution to the discrepancies in travel time is the person calculating the route has a high "astrogation" skill and is saving a whole bunch in exchange for a high difficulty.

I had also had the thought that the travel time would automatically be reduced by the "threshold of success". The number of days saved is equal to the successful astrogation roll minus the difficulty with a minimum of 1 day travel time.

"No, my father didn't fight in the wars, he was a navigator on a slice freighter."

And there seems to be an occupation in the galaxy that would be able to make highly difficult astrogation calculations to save time.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rule addresses the calculation of the route itself, not the relative speed of the drive. It's more representative of a good navigator finding little ways to shave time off the course.

griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
That rule addresses the calculation of the route itself, not the relative speed of the drive. It's more representative of a good navigator finding little ways to shave time off the course.

Yes you are correct. The course calculation was the way I reconciled the disparity in travel times (the first line in your post above) in the new movies. The rest of you post sounds like what would happen if someone injected unrefined coaxium straight into their hyperdrive. But no one is crazy enough to do that.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
The rest of you post sounds like what would happen if someone injected unrefined coaxium straight into their hyperdrive. But no one is crazy enough to do that.

I disagree. There is EU evidence to suggest that ships could run their hyperdrives much faster than normal in emergencies (see Dark Force Rising).

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
A thought just occurred to me as a possible solution to the disparate hyperspace travel times in the various media...

We already have Move Levels for all other forms of movement (Cautious, Cruising, Full and All-Out for starships); why not apply those same modifiers to hyperspace travel, with the attendant Difficulty modifiers and the potential for system damage due to extensive use.

Just as an example, the piddly little shuttle used by Finn/Rose in TLJ makes little sense as a high-speed transgalactic platform. But what if they were running the hyperdrive at the HS equivalent of All-Out? A x1 Hyperdrive using the same modifiers as Move Levels would get bumped up to the equivalent of a x 1/4 drive. Unfortunately, running the drive that hard for that long caused the hyperdrive to burn out on arrival, which adds impetus to ditching the ship on the beach; it wasn't any good for the return trip anyway.

I can see this adding another layer of complexity for characters when making speed choices for hyperspace jumps. Sure, you can go 2-4 times faster, but your engine will be running awfully hot for an awful long time to do it. Are you sure it's that important?

And how would those difficulties apply to a hyperspace route? Would the 'astrogation diff' set the "Terrain base diff" level?
So a course that has a 10 as its' standard, would be seen as an easy terrain, so going all out, gives a one colum shift upwards?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
And how would those difficulties apply to a hyperspace route? Would the 'astrogation diff' set the "Terrain base diff" level?
So a course that has a 10 as its' standard, would be seen as an easy terrain, so going all out, gives a one colum shift upwards?

Just one? A +5 in Difficulty that quadruples the speed? No. More like +15-20 for All-out, and +5 for Full.

ReverendKeaton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has the release of the movies changed for me? Nothing. I will be honest I do not take into account the movies in anyway. The campaign I just started is set before the Battle of Yavin. So TFA and TLJ do not exist. As far as the prequels TPM, AotC and RotS exist in parts. I accept some of the information from The Clone Wars TV series (a few story arcs especially). I like Rogue One and Solo. I will probably use some of the characters out of them.

But all in all I disregard the movies that have been made past the original trilogy. None of the events from the movies will affect my games unless the players actually attempt it. And considering only one player is truly familiar with the movies but still not that well versed in the universe as a whole I don't see any of it as an issue.

The only thing that the new canon has given me back is a non Mandalorian Boba Fett. They removed Jango Fett from the big Mandalorian world and for me that added something back for me that AotC and all the retconning took away. The mystery about who the Fett's were and where they came from was restored. No more Jester Mereel being changed into a the foster father of the great Fett. Who was Jango? I don't know. How did he get that armor? Don't know that either. And I hope never to know. lol

All in all I do not try and reconcile much of anything with my games. I pull what I like and tool it to my needs. Anything that conflicts is disregarded.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did some changes on the official site regarding hyperdrive:

"Large objects in normal space cast “mass shadows” in hyperspace, so hyperspace jumps must be precisely calculated to avoid collisions".

Was it caused by Rogue 1 when they jumped from Jedha though falling chunks of rocks? Maybe...

Anyway, WEG rules: "The hyperspace shadow
of anything larger than a boulder can destroy a ship, and there
are countless such things drifting undiscovered in deep space."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: