The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Return of the Prequel Era?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Return of the Prequel Era?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Return of the Prequel Era? Reply with quote

https://www.starwars.com/news/sdcc-2018-the-clone-wars-to-return

The Clone Wars TV show is getting 12 new episodes to "complete" the series. As far as I am concerned, the Clone Wars ended in 2005. I am not at all excited about this, but if they do anything that tries to reconcile the series with the films, I welcome it.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/comic-con-2018-star-wars-prequel-era-canon-is-gett/1100-6460604/

They also announced that next year there will be a novel featuring Padme set in between TPM and AotC, as well as a novel focusing on Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan obviously set before TPM.

This return of a focus on the Prequel Era feels strange now, but maybe Disney wants to touch base with Prequel fans before diving into these film series not based on any prior films.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have thrown out the old canon and all the books from the prquel era so it makes sense to expand on many fronts with more content. I read thr Jedi Apprentice book series as a kid that followed Qui-Gon Jinn's adventures and liked them at the time.
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Disney EU books aren't selling as expected.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the reasons why Disney would do this, but, as a member of the minority of SW fans who rank TPM as the best overall movie in the saga, I will say that I'd welcome the additions.

However, I reserve skepticism that anyone other than Liam Neeson will faithfully represent Qui-Gon, though I do believe it is possible.

For example, when Brandon Routh played Superman in 2006(?), he faithfully recreated Christopher Reeves' interpretation of the character which was important since the movie was meant to be a sequel to Superman II.

Also, if anyone has seen the movie Age of Adaline, there is an actor who, to my mind faithfully portrays a young Harrison Ford, so much so that I felt like I was watching ANH or perhaps Raiders everytime the younger version of the character was on screen.

So I believe it can be done, but it would take a high standard of character study to include studying Liam Neeson's attributes, quirks and micro expressions.

I single oit Qui-Gon's character because that character is my favorite in all of SW.
ReverendKeaton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I can't comment on the reasons why Disney would do this, but, as a member of the minority of SW fans who rank TPM as the best overall movie in the saga, I will say that I'd welcome the additions.

However, I reserve skepticism that anyone other than Liam Neeson will faithfully represent Qui-Gon, though I do believe it is possible.

For example, when Brandon Routh played Superman in 2006(?), he faithfully recreated Christopher Reeves' interpretation of the character which was important since the movie was meant to be a sequel to Superman II.

Also, if anyone has seen the movie Age of Adaline, there is an actor who, to my mind faithfully portrays a young Harrison Ford, so much so that I felt like I was watching ANH or perhaps Raiders everytime the younger version of the character was on screen.

So I believe it can be done, but it would take a high standard of character study to include studying Liam Neeson's attributes, quirks and micro expressions.

I single oit Qui-Gon's character because that character is my favorite in all of SW.

I will be honest I don't think TPM is the best in the saga. I prefer ESB. That being said I do not rate it the worst either. I think it was one of the most visually stunning movies and I actually saw it more times at the theater than I did any of the others on the original runs (I have seen every one of the movies on its opening weekend since 77). I can still sit down and watch TPM and enjoy it despite a few things I felt were lacking. As a matter of fact in recent months I have been going back and re-watching it with a fresh perspective and I am noticing things that if Lucas had stayed the course may have made the next two prequels better. But that is my own opinion.

And Brandon Routh made a fantastic Superman in my opinion. I think what hurt his portrayal of the Man of Steel more than anything is people got lost because it was meant to coincide with the Richard Donner cut of Superman II and not the film that ended up being made. And if anyone who hasn't seen the Richard Donner cut of Superman II it is fantastic even though it is a bit rough as they used unfinished footage.

I have not seen nor head of the Age of Adaline but I will check it out.
ReverendKeaton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Return of the Prequel Era? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
https://www.starwars.com/news/sdcc-2018-the-clone-wars-to-return

The Clone Wars TV show is getting 12 new episodes to "complete" the series. As far as I am concerned, the Clone Wars ended in 2005. I am not at all excited about this, but if they do anything that tries to reconcile the series with the films, I welcome it.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/comic-con-2018-star-wars-prequel-era-canon-is-gett/1100-6460604/

They also announced that next year there will be a novel featuring Padme set in between TPM and AotC, as well as a novel focusing on Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan obviously set before TPM.

This return of a focus on the Prequel Era feels strange now, but maybe Disney wants to touch base with Prequel fans before diving into these film series not based on any prior films.

I am interested to see if they wrap up the story lines they left hanging when they cancelled the series. And if they do how they will give them closure. I know that Asajj's story was closed out in the book Dark Disciple that was supposedly going to be a story line from the cancelled season. I also want them to clarify how she died (Dark Disciple versus Tobias Beckett).
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Return of the Prequel Era? Reply with quote

ReverendKeaton wrote:
I am interested to see if they wrap up the story lines they left hanging when they cancelled the series. And if they do how they will give them closure. I know that Asajj's story was closed out in the book Dark Disciple that was supposedly going to be a story line from the cancelled season. I also want them to clarify how she died (Dark Disciple versus Tobias Beckett).

I just saw Solo again today. Beckett didn't kill Asajj Ventress. He killed Aurra Sing, a live action character from TPM (who was in TCW too). But I totally get the confusion. Two pasty-faced bald (or mostly bald) women who's name starts with an A.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ReverendKeaton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Return of the Prequel Era? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
ReverendKeaton wrote:

I just saw Solo again today. Beckett didn't kill Asajj Ventress. He killed Aurra Sing, a live action character from TPM (who was in TCW too). But I totally get the confusion. Two pasty-faced bald (or mostly bald) women who's name starts with an A.

I have only seen it once. So I had to have gotten confused some how. I am glad then. I was perplexed about the canon conflict. Thank you for fixing that for me. lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: