The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A Droid question..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> A Droid question.. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DirkCorman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 20 Apr 2014
Posts: 110

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: A Droid question.. Reply with quote

Is it at all possible that a company like Industrial Automation or Cybot Galactica could release a special limited edition run of their models.. Or perhaps licence out the rights to do so to a specialist company?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 12115
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, Ohio.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what purposes?
_________________
Confuscious sayeth, don't wash cat while drunk!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain


Joined: 10 May 2006
Posts: 969
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say both are very likely. What do you have in mind?
_________________
Aha!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrNexx
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 25 Mar 2016
Posts: 1352
Location: Houston

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: A Droid question.. Reply with quote

DirkCorman wrote:
Is it at all possible that a company like Industrial Automation or Cybot Galactica could release a special limited edition run of their models.. Or perhaps licence out the rights to do so to a specialist company?


Cybot Galactica's Protocol Droids by E'thn Alien.

Industrial Automaton Astromech Droids, Tattooine Ranch Edition
_________________
"I’m telling you, you’ll never have a deeper sleep than curled up in a Wookie’s lap."
“We're going to win this war, not by fighting what we hate, but saving what we love.”
http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DirkCorman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 20 Apr 2014
Posts: 110

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm coming up with a grizzled old head of a smuggling operation, and he has a limited edition build of an astromech droid.

It has some design changes, some extra colour changes. Perhaps some chrome attachments.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shootingwomprats
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 11 Sep 2013
Posts: 1835
Location: Online

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirkCorman wrote:
I'm coming up with a grizzled old head of a smuggling operation, and he has a limited edition build of an astromech droid.

It has some design changes, some extra colour changes. Perhaps some chrome attachments.


I see no reason why there would not be limited edition models of droids, but what your suggesting sounds more like options/upgrades or customizations.
_________________
Don Diestler
Host, Shooting Womp Rats
The D6 Podcast
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DirkCorman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 20 Apr 2014
Posts: 110

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps looking like what we would equate to something like that limited edition Aston Martin released for Spectre.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)


Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 4421

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a friend who did electrical engineering at a notable aerospace company. Something I learned from him is if some dude has enough money to throw at a large company for a custom job for a plane, then they will let him customize aaaaaanything he wants. Then it's the engineer's job to figure out how to make it all work.

Then dude will change his mind, and they have to re-do all the electronics on the plane. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

So, yes, totally plausible. It may cost a boat load, but I don't see why not.
_________________
__________________________________
Before we take any of this too seriously, just remember that in the middle episode a little rubber puppet moves a spaceship with his mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain


Joined: 10 May 2006
Posts: 969
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. The galaxy's megacorps would definitely offer bespoke versions of their regular products to VIP clients for substantial fees. Smugglers could earn a tidy sum providing those previously unreachable status symbols to wealthy but less-than-legal patrons.
_________________
Aha!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zarn
Captain
Captain


Joined: 17 Jun 2014
Posts: 697

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then there's those models that ... go astray. Either by their own means or others.

Some bespoke models are matched to certain vehicles, such as the E-Wing and the R7. I imagine you could easily have something similar with a more expensive light freighter and a 'first mate' type droid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 12115
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, Ohio.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
And then there's those models that ... go astray. Either by their own means or others.

Some bespoke models are matched to certain vehicles, such as the E-Wing and the R7. I imagine you could easily have something similar with a more expensive light freighter and a 'first mate' type droid.


True, but one R-7 out of 1000s is a lot easier to have it go overlooked, than 1 of 1, custom tricked out r-7 would be, of having it stay 'under the radar'..
_________________
Confuscious sayeth, don't wash cat while drunk!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)


Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 4421

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Zarn wrote:
And then there's those models that ... go astray. Either by their own means or others.

Some bespoke models are matched to certain vehicles, such as the E-Wing and the R7. I imagine you could easily have something similar with a more expensive light freighter and a 'first mate' type droid.


True, but one R-7 out of 1000s is a lot easier to have it go overlooked, than 1 of 1, custom tricked out r-7 would be, of having it stay 'under the radar'..


Which sounds like a set of adventure hooks to me.
_________________
__________________________________
Before we take any of this too seriously, just remember that in the middle episode a little rubber puppet moves a spaceship with his mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Telsij
Commander
Commander


Joined: 07 Dec 2016
Posts: 341

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Zarn wrote:
And then there's those models that ... go astray. Either by their own means or others.

Some bespoke models are matched to certain vehicles, such as the E-Wing and the R7. I imagine you could easily have something similar with a more expensive light freighter and a 'first mate' type droid.


True, but one R-7 out of 1000s is a lot easier to have it go overlooked, than 1 of 1, custom tricked out r-7 would be, of having it stay 'under the radar'..


Which sounds like a set of adventure hooks to me.

And I am all set / ready to play this set of adventure hooks! I could even see this as as closing chapter of adventure seeds for Shooting Womprat's Droids Sourcebook, the chapter that precedes a set of Droid PC templates, one of which is the "first mate" type droid that the player can tailor to suit the party's starship.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DirkCorman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 20 Apr 2014
Posts: 110

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now thinking that my 'Grizzled Old Smuggler TM' got this droid by less than legal means, and it is one of only a few made.

And legally, they are verrrrry expensive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral


Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 2127
Location: Pullman, WA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any reason why any company wouldn't release some sort of limited edition droid for people to go gaga over. Although this kind of consumerism I would think would be mostly limited to the core worlds and the corporate sector.

Just increase the cost by an additional 50-100% depending on what little gadgets they throw on it.
_________________
RR
________________________________________________________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0