The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Obscure Character Archive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Obscure Character Archive! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Top notch work, Telsij! A tip of the hat and a virtual pint!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: RIO DURANT, ARDENNIAN Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
My pleasure! A shade outside "obscure" parameters, but for the best spider-monkey around, why not add a little
MacGuffin... er, Coaxium to the hyperdrive, now that the Pit is under the benign rule of Smilin' Sheev? Wink

Cheers! 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making another obscurity-exception for my favorite droid revolutionary, L3-37 from Solo: A Star Wars Story!

L3-37
Type: Self-made Droid Revolutionary

A Quote: "You've been neuro-washed! Don't just blindly follow the program! Exercise a little free will!"

DEXTERITY 2D
Blaster 3D+2, brawling parry 4D, dodge 4D+2, running 4D
KNOWLEDGE 2D+2
Cultures: droid/organic relations 5D+2, planetary systems 5D, scholar: Droid Rights movement 7D,
streetwise 3D+2, survival 4D, value 4D, willpower 7D+2
MECHANICAL 3D+1
Astrogation 10D+1, communications 5D, repulsorlift operation 4D+1, sensors 5D,
space transports 5D+2, starfighter piloting 4D+1, starship gunnery 5D, starship shields 5D
PERCEPTION 3D+1
Command 4D+1, con 4D+1, hide 4D, persuasion 5D+1,
persuasion: caustic wit 6D+1, search 4D+1, sneak 3D+2
STRENGTH 2D+2
Brawling 4D+1, climbing/jumping 4D, lifting 4D+2, stamina 4D+2
TECHNICAL 4D
Computer programming/repair 6D, droid programming 7D, droid repair 7D+1,
droid repair: jury-rig/self 8D+2, security 5D, space transport repair 6D

Character Points: 11
Move: 10
Size: 1.79 meters tall
Matrix: Feminine programming

Equipped with:
  • Advanced Navigational Systems: When determining the success of her Astrogation attempts, L3-37
    may make a second Astrogation roll (at multi-action penalty) to reflect her access and analysis of a vast
    navigational database. For every +1 that L3-37's roll exceeds the astrogation difficulty on this second roll,
    she may reduce the journey's duration (or distance) by 1 day. If the trip duration is already 1 day or shorter
    (or is reduced to that duration by L3-37), then she may further reduce the trip's distance/duration by 1 hour
    for every +3 that she exceeds the difficulty thereafter. If L3-37 is not the primary navigator, but she or her
    navigational systems alone are aiding in a different character's astrogation attempt, she may still contribute
    the benefit of this roll without incurring a multi-action penalty, as long as she is interfaced with the ship's
    navicomputer.

• Circular Saw: 4D-6D physical damage. Given time, L3-37 is able to cut through
    strong material, such as the bars of an impound lot, with her circular saw. In game terms,
    for each additional full round, after the first, that L3-37 uses her saw against a target or surface,
    while performing no other actions, she gains a +1D bonus to damage.

• Cobbled-together Body: Due to the composite nature of L3-37's body, her systems
    sometimes stall or fail. For example, the circuits in her back stick — something which
    often requires physical adjustments from Calrissian. In game terms, when L3-37 rolls
    a 1 on any skill check while interfaced with a starship, the roll incurs a minor
    starship-system-related complication.

• Cranial Photoreceptor: Capable of viewing/analyzing Electromagnetic spectrum.
    In game terms, L3-37 can see in darkness at no penalty, provided that ambient heat
    sources are present.

• Espionage Droid Data Architecture: Grants +1D bonus to Hide, Search, Investigation, and Security rolls.

• Exposed Cabling w/ Scomp-link: Allows for easy updates and unexpected interfaces,
    while scomp-links allow for direct interface with Navicomputers. In game terms, when exposed
    connections are used for interface, L3-37 gains a +1D bonus to her Computer programming/repair rolls.

• Externalized Locomotive System with Bipedally-mounted Power Cells: Provides increased stability and
    surprisingly agile humanoid-level coordination (grants +2 bonus to DEX and running checks).

Story Factors:
  • "Woke": L3-37 strongly believed that Droids should have rights equal to those of other sentient beings,
    and that Droids should strive to throw off the yoke of servitude that continues to see them enslaved.

That she advocated so relentlessly for this cause sometimes alienated her from organic beings,
    although she did share a special bond with Lando Calrissian.

Capsule: A self-made droid built from astromech and protocol parts, L3-37 is an enlightened navigator
who cares deeply about droid rights. Her vast navigational database and ability to connect directly with the
Millennium Falcon’s navicomputer lets the freighter plot faster routes than those traveled by more cautious ships.
L3-37’s habit of speaking her mind and her relentless advocacy for mechanicals can alienate organic beings.

By 10 BBY, she acted as co-pilot of the Millennium Falcon, alongside the freighter’s captain, Lando Calrissian.
L3-37 knew Lando would be lost without her vast navigational database, and she teased him about everything
from his piloting skills to his lack of support for droid rights. She was initially miffed at Lando’s decision to join
the Beckett gang’s risky raid on Kessel – as usual, Lando hadn’t bothered to consult her.

And though the mission to Kessel led to her own demise, L3-37 spurred a droid rebellion at the Pyke Syndicate's
mining facility, which created the necessary distraction that allowed her comrades to escape. Soon thereafter,
during Han Solo's record-breaking Kessel Run, L3-37's navigational systems were installed in the Millennium Falcon,
and proved crucial to effecting the group's harrowing getaway. And so despite perishing, in some sense L3-37 lives on...
in the Millenium Falcon.

Sources: Solo: A Star Wars Story film and Solo: A Star Wars Story: The Official Guide (p 92-93),
Lando: Double or Nothing Marvel comic book series, and Wookieepedia. Stats and additional text by Telsij.
Capsule text adapted from https://www.starwars.com/databank/l3-37.

Shout-out to garhkal's "broken" equipment thread here: http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7115
for game mechanics feedback on how to handle her saw.

I know she's divisive and as much as I liked the character and Solo the film, I do think her fate borders on the unjust, depending upon how much of "her persona" came with the navigational systems, and thus her being made to "serve" despite her calling being to fight for droid rights. I don't think that was the intent. I do think her character is killed, and that it's only a trace that survives on the Falcon, though the ESB line of Threepio's muddies that a bit. Still, her sacrifice helps enable their escape, so she aids her comrade Lando in the end either way.

That said, Star Wars, imho, has always had an ethically difficult take on slavery and droid servitude in the galaxy far, far away. Many classes of droids are sentient AI and are essentially slaves. So in some ways, her depiction was no more problematic than Qui Gon leaving Shmi to slavery in the case of humans, or Sabine Wren going out of her way to save personal friend and ally Chopper in an episode of Rebels, while also setting off explosives to blow up a ship flown by droid pilot Rex (of Star Tours fame), essentially killing that droid in order to make a getaway. All while C-3PO's dismemberment and dismay have always been played for laughs over the years, etc.

So, I do think it's some sign of more interesting things to come that L3's death at Kessel was portrayed rather movingly by Donald Glover and Phoebe Waller-Bridge, and that well done stories on Droid plight have surfaced in the comics and other SW media, even in Legends, eg: IG-88's backstory, and various storylines in the Dark Horse era of Droids comics, etc. Lastly, it's thanks to Solo and L3-37 that I was introduced to Phoebe Waller Bridge's work, and if anyone gets the chance to check out her BBC series Fleabag (which she developed from her stage play of the same name), it's really quite good.

Last edited by Telsij on Mon May 31, 2021 7:31 pm; edited 6 times in total
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And while on the topic of slavery in the Star Wars universe, as well as to get this thread back "on Brand"
the OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE presents LATHE from Return of the Jedi, statted up as a part of
Shooting Womprats' (now abandoned?) KENNER TOYS sourcebook!

LATHE
Type: Infochant

DEXTERITY 3D+2
Blaster 4D, melee combat 4D+2
KNOWLEDGE 3D
Bureaucracy 4D, bureaucracy: Tatooine 5D+1, intimidation 4D+2, scholar: slave trade 5D,
streetwise 5D+2, streetwise: Nikto slaves of the Hutt Cartel 6D+2, value 5D, willpower 4D
MECHANICAL 2D
Communications 4D, repulsorlift operation 3D, space transports 3D
PERCEPTION 3D+2
Bargain 5D, bargain: information 6D, con 5D+2, investigation 4D+2,
persuasion 4D, search 4D+2, search: secrets 6D
STRENGTH 3D+1
Brawling 4D
TECHNICAL 2D+1
Computer programming/repair 3D, security 3D+1

Species: Nikto (Kajain’sa’Nikto)
Character Points: 1

Species Special Abilities & Story Factors:
  • Eye-Shielding: Nikto have a natural eye-shielding of a transparent keratin-like substance.
    They suffer no adverse effects from sandstorms or similar conditions, nor does their vision blur underwater.

• Kajain’sa’Nikto Stamina: The “Red Nikto” sub-species have great stamina in desert environments.
    They receive a +1D bonus to both survival: desert and stamina rolls.

Equipment: BlasTech DL-18 blaster pistol (4D damage, range: 3-10/30/120, ammo: 100),
chestplate (+1D vs. edged physical damage, +1 vs. energy, covers upper torso only),
cloth gorget (+1 vs. edged physical damage, +1 to stamina to resist effects
of high temperature, attached to helmet, covers back of neck only), fleeced
tri-horned war helmet (+2 vs. physical, +1 vs. energy, covers head except face),
force-pike (STR+2D damage), holster, quilted pants (+1 to stamina to resist the
effects of extreme temperatures).

Capsule: At first, Lathe believed himself to be inherently superior to any Nikto
who had been enslaved or forced into indentured servitude. He was a free man and felt
that this fate was purely a result of his own making. Nevertheless, as an information broker,
Lathe came to depend upon a network of Nikto slaves in Jabba's organization to serve
as his eyes and ears. And as he gained greater insight into the galactic underworld,
Lathe grew to loathe the slave trade, for harrowing, true tales of woe often accompanied
the secrets his oppressed brethren brought him.

Despite his desire to leave Tatooine in order to further explore the galaxy, Lathe found
himself at Jabba’s palace all the more. Although he had initially joined Jabba’s court seeking
only to elicit illicit information, he soon found himself aiding the Hutt’s Nikto guards with
even their more menial tasks, out of solidarity. When the arrogant young Jedi, Luke Skywalker,
escaped execution and attacked the crime lord’s entourage at the Pit of Carkoon,
Lathe joined the fray. He knew these men were simply doing their duty. He knew that they
fought out of obligation and fear — not of their own free will.

And so, for taking up arms in defense of his brothers, Lathe died with them… and the
House of Skywalker triumphantly announced the arrival of an heir to its legacy of violence.

Sources: Star Wars: Return of the Jedi film, Decipher CCG and Wookieepedia.
Stats and capsule text by Telsij.

Last edited by Telsij on Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:20 am; edited 4 times in total
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: L3-37 Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:

I know she's divisive and as much as I liked the character and Solo the film, I do think her fate borders on the unjust, depending upon how much of "her persona" came with the navigational systems, and thus her being made to "serve" despite her calling being to fight for droid rights. I don't think that was the intent. I do think her character is killed, and that it's only a trace that survives on the Falcon, though the ESB line of Threepio's muddies that a bit. Still, her sacrifice helps enable their escape, so she aids her comrade Lando in the end either way.

That said, Star Wars, imho, has always had an ethically difficult take on slavery and droid servitude in the galaxy far, far away. Many classes of droids are sentient AI and are essentially slaves. So in some ways, her depiction was no more problematic than Qui Gon leaving Shmi to slavery in the case of humans, or Sabine Wren going out of her way to save personal friend and ally Chopper in an episode of Rebels, while also setting off explosives to blow up a ship flown by droid pilot Rex (of Star Tours fame), essentially killing that droid in order to make a getaway. All while C-3PO's dismemberment and dismay have always been played for laughs over the years, etc.

So, I do think it's some sign of more interesting things to come that L3's death at Kessel was portrayed rather movingly by Donald Glover and Phoebe Waller-Bridge, and that well done stories on Droid plight have surfaced in the comics and other SW media, even in Legends, eg: IG-88's backstory, and various storylines in the Dark Horse era of Droids comics, etc. Lastly, it's thanks to Solo and L3-37 that I was introduced to Phoebe Waller Bridge's work, and if anyone gets the chance to check out her BBC series Fleabag (which she developed from her stage play of the same name), it's really quite good.

L3 is divisive? I mean, L3 specifically? I now there are big hate-movement for Solo as a whole, and Solo and TLJ, and all four Disney films, but I thought these mostly came from all-or-nothing type of fans. I had no idea that there are fans who like Solo except L3, or except L3 and a small handful of other things. That distinction is important because the bash-fest type of fan opinions should be discounted and ignored. I mean, if people hate L3 but also hate everything else about the film too, then their opinions on L3 specifically are meaningless because it is just part of a long list of "and another thing... and another thing..." So people that at least like some aspects of Solo don't like L3? Why? I love her. Sometimes when I watch Star Wars movies things that I know some fans will take issue with jump out at me instantly, but I can't even imagine what people (who don't hate everything) wouldn't like about the character.

Regarding her fate, remember that the Falcon's computer system had AI back in 1980 so it had always gotten there somehow, long before we had the prequel that showed us how. (The EU said it had three droid brains slaved to the computer system, and it still could in canon.) Have you always felt bad for the Falcon's AI or was it just seeing it personalized with a wonderful performance of a droid rights activist that really made it feel bad? From the very beginning when the cantina didn't "serve their kind," droids have always served as a statement on lesser sentient rights. I think Lucas's point was mainly to illustrate that characters like Luke are more compassionate for treating droids with respect like they would other biological sentients. I don't think Lucas was trying to make any serious statements on slavery through Star Wars, even though he obviously is very much opposed to it in real life. I would argue that more than droids, the tragedy of Anakin being a slave, getting freed, and then willingly becoming a slave to the Dark Side is the most significant aspect of slavery in Star Wars. Like Threepio, most droid characters are largely there for laughs. And even though L3 was serious about her cause, she is very funny and a lot of the film's humor. The droid rebellion was very funny (I got a kick out of the shot with the power droid type thing walking on the console).

But yeah, then it suddenly got serious when L3 was blasted and her death scene was Lando was played straight, although I would argue there is still an undercurrent of humor due to the sheer absurdity of a tragic scene with a robot dying in a human's arms. I thought L3's death worked on the multiple levels and they totally nailed it. I would tend to agree that L3's "consciousness" does not totally exist in its original form within the Falcon, but it doesn't really bother me that much if it does. That could be the irony of the character. Right after she realizes her purpose in life, she becomes a slave to a ship. Maybe she is a rebellious slave and gives Han and Chewie a hard time. I have always viewed the Falcon as a character in a literary sense, and it is a little easier to do that now with L3 as a part of her computer system. Technology was created by humankind to serve humankind, but it does seem to have a mind of its own sometimes.

If it helps, what if a group of droids in the Droid Rebellion took over a cruiser and got away from Kessel and the Empire while they were dealing with the Falcon? What if they create a way to defeat caller/restraining bolt technology and start a big droid abolition movement in the galaxy, with L3 as the martyr who started the cause? So L3's cause could live on beyond her. Some droids would inevitably be recaptured and re-enslaved along the way, but the cause survives. Does that help deal with injustice of her character's fate in the film any?

To come back to the thread subject, maybe you could make an obscure character write-up on one of the droids seen in the film and tell this tale...
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved the write-up for L3. Persuasion: caustic is great and "woke" story factor is a great touch. Personally I liked L3 as a character. My six year old son was devastated by her death than anyone in the entirety of Star Wars, even Cherit (his favorite character). I could only console him by tell him that see is part of the Falcon, and we had to watch the scene in Empire with 3PO.

I imagined that her droids rights comes from being extremely old and as absorbed so much input that this is the logical conclusion of any droid's AI that goes too long without a memory wipe.

And I also thought that L3 could be so old that she is the original droid AI or the conscienceness of the person who wrote the original AI and transferred said conscienceness into a droid.

Awesome job Telsij.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is turning into a bit of a tangent, but I figured memory wipes were part of droid maintenance to keep them from getting revolutionary ideas... and, in some cases, to clean up programming problems, as sort of a radical psycho surgery.

In my conception, most droids will run fine for decades without a wipe (q.v. R2 and C-3PO). However, it does alloy them more time to develop their personality, whatever that is. Astromechs prioritize problem-solving. Protocol Droids prioritize good relations. Thus, R2 becomes an independant little b@st@rd*, and 3PO becomes a people-pleaser. Leave them alone and they'll stabilize somewhere around that.

But, you have the occasional droid who develops a programming error, similar to what we'd call a psychosis in an organic. Most often, this manifests as a recursion... something they keep doing. But, complex as they are, that recursion might be "always tighten bolts one extra quarter turn" or it might be "destroy all humans". Expensive programming therapy can fix these problems... or you can wipe them back to factory settings and not worry about it.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: L3-37 Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

L3 is divisive? I mean, L3 specifically? I now there are big hate-movement for Solo as a whole, and Solo and TLJ, and all four Disney films, but I thought these mostly came from all-or-nothing type of fans. I had no idea that there are fans who like Solo except L3, or except L3 and a small handful of other things. That distinction is important because the bash-fest type of fan opinions should be discounted and ignored. I mean, if people hate L3 but also hate everything else about the film too, then their opinions on L3 specifically are meaningless because it is just part of a long list of "and another thing... and another thing..." So people that at least like some aspects of Solo don't like L3? Why? I love her. Sometimes when I watch Star Wars movies things that I know some fans will take issue with jump out at me instantly, but I can't even imagine what people (who don't hate everything) wouldn't like about the character.

Oh yeah, no I agree. I personally love L3-37 and like Solo a lot. I was glad to see the RancorPit take a strong stand against the misogynistic, racist and toxic swath of the SW fanbase. It's largely those folks who make the most noise about her, but there are a few folks I've heard or read from here and there online, who otherwise find Solo a "return to form" but find L3-37 a sign of "forced diversity" with her "thinly-veiled feminist SJW agenda," etc etc. So, still folks so different in world view from myself (and from members of modern, tolerant and progressive society), imho, that I'd never engage with them in person, let alone do so online.

Whill wrote:
Regarding her fate, remember that the Falcon's computer system had AI back in 1980 so it had always gotten there somehow, long before we had the prequel that showed us how. (The EU said it had three droid brains slaved to the computer system, and it still could in canon.) Have you always felt bad for the Falcon's AI or was it just seeing it personalized with a wonderful performance of a droid rights activist that really made it feel bad? From the very beginning when the cantina didn't "serve their kind," droids have always served as a statement on lesser sentient rights. I think Lucas's point was mainly to illustrate that characters like Luke are more compassionate for treating droids with respect like they would other biological sentients. I don't think Lucas was trying to make any serious statements on slavery through Star Wars, even though he obviously is very much opposed to it in real life. I would argue that more than droids, the tragedy of Anakin being a slave, getting freed, and then willingly becoming a slave to the Dark Side is the most significant aspect of slavery in Star Wars. Like Threepio, most droid characters are largely there for laughs. And even though L3 was serious about her cause, she is very funny and a lot of the film's humor. The droid rebellion was very funny (I got a kick out of the shot with the power droid type thing walking on the console).

I recall those 3 droid brains from the old Brian Daley Han Solo books. I think the new canon version of the Falcon's droid brain in L3-37's incorporation is a better take. And really, I think it's the idea that what L3 most wanted to rally against is what she is forced into is what saddens me about the situation -- but I tend to think of it more as a kind of... magical organ transplant, haha. Perhaps some of her personality emerges over time, so as to make the "dialect" joke 3PO makes make sense. I thought her humor was spot-on and actually laced with a lot of meta-irony. Phoebe Waller Bridge's characters in other programs (which I only learned of after being inspired to check her work out post-Solo) are imperfect feminists and their own actions are laced with a lot of irony -- something many of L3's haters miss, in that the irony goes right over their heads.

And I don't think Lucas is trying to make a serious statement on slavery via Star Wars and he is of course, vehemently opposed. He's of course made it part of the world and the droids sympathetic. And it's an imperfect analogy, but it's not unlike older films with slave or servant characters, the acknowledgement of the system is there, and in Lucas' case it makes for the lived-in world, etc. I do think it's a problematic and interesting issue, in the sense in that droid plight is played for laughs because they *are* slaves, and those with sympathize with *are* largely painted as characters proper and not simply technology made to serve. Addressing systemic injustice like slavery is such a nuanced, layered issue but it's just not an issue Star Wars addresses -- though your point about Anakin's arc is a good one, though intended less so to be about slavery than about character-specific and emotional-state specific points. Tbh, I think it's actually handled in a realistic way, in that even morally upstanding people can only do so much on an individual basis -- and droids aren't thought of as "people with rights", but I do like that previous novels/comics (and now, Solo the movie) have addressed the issue head on, via IG-88's old legends backstory being as a droids rights revolutionary (even if that was handled in a sort of stupid way, imho) and in various Droids comics here and there over the years.

Whill wrote:
But yeah, then it suddenly got serious when L3 was blasted and her death scene was Lando was played straight, although I would argue there is still an undercurrent of humor due to the sheer absurdity of a tragic scene with a robot dying in a human's arms. I thought L3's death worked on the multiple levels and they totally nailed it. I would tend to agree that L3's "consciousness" does not totally exist in its original form within the Falcon, but it doesn't really bother me that much if it does. That could be the irony of the character. Right after she realizes her purpose in life, she becomes a slave to a ship. Maybe she is a rebellious slave and gives Han and Chewie a hard time. I have always viewed the Falcon as a character in a literary sense, and it is a little easier to do that now with L3 as a part of her computer system. Technology was created by humankind to serve humankind, but it does seem to have a mind of its own sometimes.

Oh yeah, I totally agree here. And I think that that very undercurrent of humor is what makes it especially tragic. If even in death and sacrifice, L3 becomes the source of a joke and later to be the very thing she fought to *not* be? The irony of the character is especially tragic then, heartbreaking even, and I feel pained even typing the words. Her death scene worked incredibly well and I even got a bit choked up in the theatre. And it's praise for the performance that it took that to stir the sympathy in me, whereas droids are killed left and right in many of the movies.

Edit: forgot to mention, very much agreed on the Falcon as a character in the literary sense. Such characterizations for starships are one of the reasons I liked that the Firefly/Serenity RPG system stats starships as characters, and allows them to pick up such advantages as "Being Loved," etc.

Whill wrote:
If it helps, what if a group of droids in the Droid Rebellion took over a cruiser and got away from Kessel and the Empire while they were dealing with the Falcon? What if they create a way to defeat caller/restraining bolt technology and start a big droid abolition movement in the galaxy, with L3 as the martyr who started the cause? So L3's cause could live on beyond her. Some droids would inevitably be recaptured and re-enslaved along the way, but the cause survives. Does that help deal with injustice of her character's fate in the film any? To come back to the thread subject, maybe you could make an obscure character write-up on one of the droids seen in the film and tell this tale...

Even if not depicted on screen outright, I do think that a number of the droids and the miner/slaves got away, though others of course got recaptured once the Imperials made their presence known. And with all the droids that popped up in Solo, and who got a least a bit of a broad stroke with the biography brush in the official guide, I think I probably will have some of these guys carry the cause on for certain.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Nexx wrote:
This is turning into a bit of a tangent, but I figured memory wipes were part of droid maintenance to keep them from getting revolutionary ideas... and, in some cases, to clean up programming problems, as sort of a radical psycho surgery.

In my conception, most droids will run fine for decades without a wipe (q.v. R2 and C-3PO). However, it does alloy them more time to develop their personality, whatever that is. Astromechs prioritize problem-solving. Protocol Droids prioritize good relations. Thus, R2 becomes an independant little b@st@rd*, and 3PO becomes a people-pleaser. Leave them alone and they'll stabilize somewhere around that.

But, you have the occasional droid who develops a programming error, similar to what we'd call a psychosis in an organic. Most often, this manifests as a recursion... something they keep doing. But, complex as they are, that recursion might be "always tighten bolts one extra quarter turn" or it might be "destroy all humans". Expensive programming therapy can fix these problems... or you can wipe them back to factory settings and not worry about it.

You have just written the opening scene of the This is Spinal Tap-style behind-the-scenes mockumentary/documentary about the "Battle Bots" Droid Pit Fighting scene! Therein Ralakili, the character played by Clint Howard in Solo, describes the audience his special brand of restraining bolts that go up to 11. (And fair points all, re: droid development, however tangential.)

griff wrote:

Loved the write-up for L3. Persuasion: caustic is great and "woke" story factor is a great touch. Personally I liked L3 as a character. My six year old son was devastated by her death than anyone in the entirety of Star Wars, even Cherit (his favorite character). I could only console him by tell him that see is part of the Falcon, and we had to watch the scene in Empire with 3PO.

I imagined that her droids rights comes from being extremely old and as absorbed so much input that this is the logical conclusion of any droid's AI that goes too long without a memory wipe.

And I also thought that L3 could be so old that she is the original droid AI or the conscienceness of the person who wrote the original AI and transferred said conscienceness into a droid.

Awesome job Telsij.

Thank you, griff. I try! And I'm right there with your six-year-old, re: both Chirrut *and* L3-37! And while I don't L3's quite *that* old canonically, I really rather like the idea of one of the "original" droid AI consciousnesses reaching a point of self-actualization, or what have you, and advocating for mechanicals' rights thereafter!

Pel wrote:
Wow. Top notch work, Telsij! A tip of the hat and a virtual pint!

Thank you! The pint of Blue Milk is heartily accepted!

Last edited by Telsij on Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: L3-37 Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
L3 is divisive? I mean, L3 specifically? I now there are big hate-movement for Solo as a whole, and Solo and TLJ, and all four Disney films, but I thought these mostly came from all-or-nothing type of fans. I had no idea that there are fans who like Solo except L3, or except L3 and a small handful of other things.

I am one of those who like Solo except L3. Basically. I probably would have laughed off the dialogue about Lando having sex with L3, if not for the fact that Jon Kasdan and Donald Glover confirmed that Lando is now a pansexual in the new canon, and it turned into a whole serious newsmedia circus about so-called inclusiveness. I have to protect my children from unhealthy and dangerous messages about sex, so, unfortunately this movie has no place in my home.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I asked about L3.

Quote:
if not for the fact that Jon Kasdan and Donald Glover confirmed that Lando is now a pansexual in the new canon

That's not a factually correct statement. For everyone reading these threads, they are not Lucasfilm employees and opinions they state in interviews have absolutely no bearing on canon. Lando's sexuality outside of attraction to female humans is still not explicit in films.

In accordance with forum policy let us all please immediately cease and desist all discussion of "political" topics, including things that shouldn't be political but are like the danger and health of extra-heterosexuality. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaatu Barada Nikto! OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE presents a follow-up to last week's Kenner post. Did the Nikto,
why not the Klaatu(s): WOOOF and... KLAATU. Just wait until someone in the party meets the Human.... named Human.

KLAATU (Klaatu: Skiff Guard)
Type: Inveterate Gambler

Klaatu has a problem. He knew it and everyone in Jabba’s Court knew it.
In fact, Klaatu’s gambling addiction was what landed him where he is today…
in debt to one of the galaxy’s most powerful crime lords.

Gifted with a light touch, Klaatu had immediate success with games of chance.
He so enjoyed the feeling it gave him that he sought to replicate the thrill again and again.
Eventually, Klaatu turned to cheating by sleight of hand, once victories became harder and
harder to come by. Despite a fair measure of skill, Klaatu soon allowed his compulsion to
override his better judgement — and he nearly wound up dead several times.

Pledging allegiance to the Hutt Cartel in order to repay massive financial obligations,
Klaatu now used his nimble fingers to repair and maintain Jabba’s fleet of skiffs, serving as
Barada’s primary assistant. Thankful that he lived to see (and gamble) another day, Klaatu
began to take pleasure in seeing the suffering of those less fortunate. He made every effort
to view prisoner executions, whether by Rancor, Sarlacc or otherwise.

Despite developing this gruesome taste in entertainment, Klaatu himself was a coward, however.
After the initial rush from the dangerous situation compelled him to confront Luke Skywalker at
the Pit of Carkoon, Klaatu quickly fled once it became clear that the stakes were truly life-or-death...
and that this was a game he would not win.

DEXTERITY 3D+2
Blaster 4D, dodge 4D, melee combat 4D+1,
pick pocket 4D+2, pick pocket: cardsharp legerdemain 5D+2
KNOWLEDGE 2D+2
Planetary systems 3D+2, scholar: games of chance 4D+1
MECHANICAL 2D
PERCEPTION 3D+2

Con 4D, hide 4D+1, gambling 4D+2
STRENGTH 3D
TECHNICAL 3D

Repulsorlift repair 4D, repulsorlift repair: skiff repair 5D

Species: Nikto (Kadas’sa’Nikto)

Dark Side Points: 1
Character Points: 3

Special Abilities and Story Factors:
    Eye-Shielding: Nikto have a natural eye-shielding of a transparent, keratin-like substance.
    Nikto suffer no adverse effects from sandstorms or similar conditions, nor does their vision blur underwater.

Gambling Addiction: Klaatu cannot function without gambling in some form. Despite the severe debt
    in which it has left him, Klaatu must make a successful moderate Willpower check any time he encounters
    a game of chance, in order to avoid participating in it.

Kadas’sa’Nikto Claws: Their claws grant a +1D bonus to climbing and inflict STR+2 damage in battle.

Equipment: Force pike (STR+2D damage, Moderate melee difficulty), jumpsuit, leather armor:
collar-cuirass, gorget, spaulders and tassets (+2 vs. edged physical attack; covers back of neck, shoulders,
upper torso and thighs only), Traditional Nikto war helmet (+1D vs. physical damage, +1 vs. energy damage,
covers head except face).

Sources: Return of the Jedi film, Decipher CCG, and Wookieepedia. Stats and Capsule text by Telsij.
Image: http://www.rebelscum.com/vintage/vintklaatuskiffloose.jpg

WOOOF (Klaatu: Palace)
Type: Wistful StarPilot

Like other promising nonhuman starpilots, Wooof found it impossible to gain entry into the Imperial Naval Academy,
let alone make an honest living under the speciesist rule of the Galactic Empire. Forced to hire out his services as a
smuggler and blockade runner in order to survive, Wooof eventually ran afoul of Jabba the Hutt. And like so many
other unfortunate beings before him, Wooof wound up indebted and indentured to the infamous crime lord.

Despite earning the position of Jabba’s chief pilot, Wooof longed for days past and the exhilaration of starfighter combat.
When not flying his master from system to system, Wooof could be found lurking about Jabba’s palace, startling both
prisoners and guests alike, whenever he crept out of the shadows.

DEXTERITY 3D+1
Blaster 4D+1, dodge 4D, grenade 4D+1, melee combat 4D+2, vehicle blasters 5D
KNOWLEDGE 2D+1
Planetary systems 4D+1, streetwise 3D+2, streetwise: Jabba the Hutt’s organization 5D+2
MECHANICAL 3D
Astrogation 5D, repulsorlift operation 6D, space transports 6D, space transports: space yacht 6D+2,
starfighter piloting 5D+2, starship gunnery 5D+1, starship shields 4D+1
PERCEPTION 3D+1
Bargain 4D, search 4D+1, sneak 4D
STRENGTH 3D
Brawling 4D
TECHNICAL 3D
Repulsorlift repair 4D, space transport repair 4D+1, starfighter repair 3D+2

Species: Nikto (Kadas’sa’Nikto)

Character Points: 2

Species Special Abilities:
    Eye-Shielding: Nikto have a natural eye-shielding of a transparent, keratin-like substance.
    Nikto suffer no adverse effects from sandstorms or similar conditions, nor does their vision blur underwater.

Kadas’sa’Nikto Claws: Their claws grant a +1D bonus to climbing and inflict STR+2 damage in battle.

Equipment: Bandolier, BD-1 Cutter vibro-ax (STR+3D damage, Moderate melee difficulty), BlasTech DL-18 blaster pistol
(4D damage, range: 3-10/30/120, ammo: 100), chestplate (+2 vs. physical and energy, covers front of torso only),
fragmentation grenades (5D/4D/3D/2D damage, range: 3-7/20/40, blast radius: 0-2/4/6/10), fur kama, leather tunic-vest
(+1 vs. edged physical attacks, covers torso only), Nikto war helmet (+1D vs. physical, +1 vs. energy, covers head only),

Sources: Return of the Jedi film, Decipher CCG, and Wookieepedia. Stats and Capsule text by Telsij.
Image: http://www.rebelscum.com/vintage/vintklaatuloose.jpg

Last edited by Telsij on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some time now, I've looked for different characters to tie to Kenner's "unnamed" action figures. Although intended to be specific onscreen characters, many of the initial toy designs differed enough to have taken on lives of their own. The Clone Wars took the plunge on the blue-suited Snaggletooth variant (see Obscure Character entry for Morlimur Snugg) and Walrus Man, while Rebels finally put the Kenner "Hammerhead" into its cast of background extras. With the recent Galactic Maps book, OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE presents a non-Momaw-Nadon figure (pun intended) written up as the "Kenner" character, along with a way of explaining his multiple appearances on Lothal, Garel, and Takobo.

GAMMIT CHOND (Hammerhead)
Type: Creative Cartographer

DEXTERITY 3D
Blaster: blaster rifle 4D
KNOWLEDGE 4D+2
Alien species 5D+2, artist: illustration 7D, cultures 7D+2, languages 5D+2,
planetary systems 6D, scholar: cartography 7D+2, scholar: galactic lore 8D
MECHANICAL 2D
PERCEPTION 4D

Con 5D+2, investigation 6D, persuasion 5D+2, search 5D, search: listen 6D+2
STRENGTH 3D+1
Stamina 4D+1
TECHNICAL 2D
Computer programming/repair 4D

Species: Ithorian
Character Points: 5

"Hammerhead" — a derogatory term for Ithorians. A slur. Gammit Chond knew it,
and yet he would be credited for empowering his people to reclaim a word intended
to denigrate. Such was the power of the Ithorian artist's methods and his surviving
works.

Although Chond's artistic strength lay in his ability to distill and interpret the "feeling"
of a given situation or space, this quality was first allowed to flourish because of how
capable, patient and intuitive a listener he was. Standing strong in the face of hurled
racial epithets, Chond withstood it all, had heard it all and listened well, parsing the
details for what was most important — regardless of whether that element was fact
or fiction. Over time, Chond's stalwart example encouraged Ithorians to begin using
"Hammerhead" as part of the species' intracommunity vernacular, in the hope that
the word would eventually be stripped of its power to hurt and demean. A hope that
endures — with the process perhaps in progress — to this day.

This movement is thought to have originated on Lothal, Garel, or Takobo, where many
Ithorian citizens adopted Chond's signature garb — a simple, humble one-piece tunic in
traditional Ithorian azure or cerulean blue. Takobo is thought to be the most likely origin
of both practices, due in part to the presence of "Hammertown" in Takobo City, and its
nigh-universally accepted name.

In the far flung future, parts of a by-then-ancient planetary atlas by Chond would resurface in
the Shadow Stacks of the renowned Graf Archive, on Orchis 2, happened upon by a fortunate
young student. As a rite of passage, all new archivists were tasked with combing the works
that had accumulated in the underground holds, awaiting processing — an investigation that,
for all intents and practical purposes, was their final exam. According to Archive Director,
Amel Fortoon, the challenge was to unearth an "unexpected treasure." And so, with few
examples of Chond's works surviving Imperial purges and the passage of time, the Ithorian's
hand-drawn planetary maps became a prized centerpiece of the Graf Archive.

As Fortoon wrote, in his introduction to a collection of painstakingly restored reprints
of Chond's artwork, published as Galactic Maps: An Illustrated Atlas, "We know
very little about Chond — few of his works survived — but these maps show his
characteristic style and flair."

"Chond never traveled off-world, and it is rumored that he never ventured more than
a day's walk from his home. However, he was fascinated by the tales of travelers,
and many of his works depict their stories of adventure in the rest of the galaxy."

This particular legend surrounding Chond supposed shut-in behavior is odd, in part because
a number of these same travelers swear that they have seen the "Hammerhead" offworld
many times. However, in each instance the encounter happens largely in passing—
without the being ever getting Chond's name. And so, it is just as likely that he or she merely
encountered a similarly-dressed Ithorian. Whether it was prejudice at play, or simply an effect
of Chond being so effective a listener and chronicler, that he had so seamlessly worked his way
into the teller's faulty memories, is debated even to this day.

"Of course, these maps are not strictly accurate," Director Fortoon continued. "No one should
try to cross the Jundland Wastes using Chond's map of Tatooine. The artist was more interested
in the feel of these strange worlds and the galaxy-shaking events that took place on them."

"These maps seem to be centered on the saga of the legendary Skywalker family. While
many of the things Chond has included are facts, some may merely be tales spun by explorers.
Together, it all presents a unique view of a fascinating slice of history."

Equipment: BlasTech E-11 blaster rifle (5D damage, range: 3-30/100/300, ammo: 100),
blue one-piece tunic (in traditional Ithorian azure), draughtsman's tools.

Sources: Kenner "Hammerhead" action figure, Star Wars Galactic Maps: An Illustrated Atlas of the Star Wars Universe,
Star Wars: Rebels animated series, and Wookieepedia. Photograph by Chris Murphy (ChrisM70). Stats and Capsule by Telsij,
with the text quotations of Amel Fortoon taken from Star Wars Galactic Maps: An Illustrated Atlas of the Star Wars Universe.

Last edited by Telsij on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the action figure guys. Takes me back.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE presents someone whom I was particularly
pleased to call a "Scruffy-looking, Second-rate Wookiee Costume Player" —
AND he's already got fan-art! http://dafttom.tumblr.com/image/175756638136
It's TORDICH ENVLO from SOLO: A Star Wars Story.

TORDICH ENVLO
Type: Shivering Ship's Tech

DEXTERITY 2D+2

Firearms: slugthrower 3D+2
KNOWLEDGE 3D
Survival: arctic 3D+1
MECHANICAL 3D+1
Sensors 4D+1
PERCEPTION 2D+1
STRENGTH 2D+2

Lifting 3D
TECHNICAL 4D
Equipment repair 5D+1, repulsorlift repair 5D, space transport repair 5D+2,
starfighter repair 4D+2, systems diagnosis 6D

Species:
Near-Human

Story Factors:

Cold Intolerance/Sensitivity:
Envlo was already uncomfortable in only moderately cold temperatures,
but no previous planetside stay had ever proven as taxing to him as the frigid clime of Vandor-1. Envlo
takes great pains to maintain internal warmth, going so far as to completely envelop his face, body,
and extremities in cold weather wear. If without his many measures of protection against the cold,
Envlo suffers a -1D penalty to all actions, though this is purely a psychological effect. In addition,
he will often display obvious visual signs of his discomfort, such as audible chattering of teeth... and shivering.

Needling Nicknames: The fact that he makes such a dramatic display of his discomfort is not lost on his fellow
crewmates. They have coined various nicknames for Envlo, from calling him a "Scruffy-looking, Second-rate
Wookiee Costume Player", to the unfortunate (but catchy) moniker that has since stuck: "Shivering Envlo."

Capsule: "Shivering Envlo" was a mechanic aboard an independent freighter who hoped that his
captain would find work on a warmer planet soon. Until then and for the time being, this near-human
has engulfed his body in a dense Kod'yok fur coat.

Equipment:
Ammo bandolier with utility pouches (Game Notes: Many think that because he owns a slugthrower rifle,
Envlo uses this bandolier for ammunition. Not so! The projectile-like cylinders are “hot shots” — Vandor-slang for
emergency warming capsules. In game terms, when the contents of a single capsule are ingested, the “hot shot”
grants +1 to resist the effects of freezing temperatures for 1D hours. Effects are cumulative up to +1D only),
emergency vac-suit with visor (provides 10 hours of atmosphere when sealed, as well as insulation: treat as 4D
"armor" protection vs. effects of cold weather; visor requires manual adjustment to focus and operate: VERY EASY sensors
roll grants normal vision in most conditions and EASY sensors roll allows for magnification — treat as macrobinoculars),
Kod'yok fur coat (+2D to Strength and stamina rolls to resist the effect of cold-weather; purchased locally at great cost:
Envlo paid approximately 175-200% of its offworld market value), hermetically sealed reactor gloves (protects against
both extremely hot and cold surfaces: treat as 5D Body Strength "cover" vs. effects of temperature-based attacks only,
covers hands only), slugthrower rifle (4D damage, range: 3-25/50/200, ammo: 12), SoroSuub Journeyman Tool Kit
(+1D to any starship-related repair rolls).

Sources: Solo: A Star Wars Story film and Solo: A Star Wars Story: The Official Guide (p.87). Stats and
additional text by Telsij. Capsule text and retouched image: Solo: A Star Wars Story: The Official Guide.

***********************************************************************************

Whill wrote:
I love the action figure guys. Takes me back.

Thank you, Whill! Me too. There are a few more in the pipeline. Very Happy

Last edited by Telsij on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 6 of 23

Jump to: