The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Condensed vehicle skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Condensed vehicle skills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starbeard
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Condensed vehicle skills Reply with quote

Being new here, I thought I'd contribute something small while I revisited all of the threads.

These days I prefer the more concise 1st edition skill list. Actually, I'd like to make it a bit more concise, and the past few times I've played I tinkered around with different revised skill lists. My most current work in progress, only partially playtested, removes the distinctions between vehicle, starship and capital ship skills. Instead, there are rules on how the skills work for each scale.

Like I said, I'm still brainstorming this and haven't had the chance to playtest it very much. Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

The condensed skills are: Astrogation, Gunnery, Piloting, Scanners, Shields, Technology, Vehicle Tech, and Weapon Tech.

Vehicles and Starships: These use the same skills (e.g., piloting to fly, gunnery to use weapons).

Repairing Starships: To repair starships, use the lower of vehicle tech and the appropriate skill (except piloting, ignore that). For example, repairing the hull or engines would require only vehicle tech, while repairing weapons would require the lower of vehicle tech and weapon tech. Repairing shields would be vehicle tech and shields, hyperdrive V.T. and astrogation, and so on.

Capital Ships: These use the lower of the appropriate skill and technology. For example, flying a capital ship uses the lower of technology and piloting, using capital scale weapons uses technology and gunnery, etc.

Repairing Capital Ships: Because of the way the 'lower of' requirements stack, repairing capital ships uses the lowest of technology, vehicle tech, and the appropriate skill.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting!

I'm also using a condensed skill list in my games now as well. I unfortunately did not come up with my current list I'm using, but I may ask his permission to post it and share.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Condensed vehicle skills Reply with quote

Starbeard wrote:
Being new here, I thought I'd contribute something small while I revisited all of the threads.

These days I prefer the more concise 1st edition skill list. Actually, I'd like to make it a bit more concise, and the past few times I've played I tinkered around with different revised skill lists. My most current work in progress, only partially playtested, removes the distinctions between vehicle, starship and capital ship skills. Instead, there are rules on how the skills work for each scale.

Like I said, I'm still brainstorming this and haven't had the chance to playtest it very much. Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks for sharing, Starbeard. Not exactly how I would do it but I'm also in favor of an overall condensed skill list and everyone's examples are good to support condensing and possibly inspire others.

Raven Redstar wrote:
Interesting!

I'm also using a condensed skill list in my games now as well. I unfortunately did not come up with my current list I'm using, but I may ask his permission to post it and share.

So the person who came up with your skill list didn't post it publicly here? If they did, then it is part of the terms and conditions that it is re-shareable. If not, then yes please do get their permission and share it. I'd like to see it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So the person who came up with your skill list didn't post it publicly here? If they did, then it is part of the terms and conditions that it is re-shareable. If not, then yes please do get their permission and share it. I'd like to see it.

He originally posted it on his G+ feed to people who were following him, he's since deleted/moved/done something so that the files are no longer accessible. Luckily, I downloaded a copy for offline play before he did that, so I still have access.
Starbeard
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, both. And yes Raven, if you can manage to share your list, I'd like to see it too.

The original idea was simply get rid of capital ship skills by making them an average of various skills, on the rationale that capital ship skills require not only familiarity with flying starships, but also familiarity with big instrument panels and crew protocol.

In the end I ditched averaging skills in favour of the 'lower of' rule, because figuring out an average die code every time I wanted to make a capital ship roll wasn't very expedient — and that led to writing them down for future reference, turning them back into recorded skills after all.

I also tried adding one extra skill per scale, but eventually ditched the idea. It went something like this:

- vehicles use the skill as is
- starships use the lower of the skill and technology
- capital ships use the lowest of skill, technology, and command

However, the extra skill needed for starships meant that starfighter pilots tend to have their skills a little too low (and their technology skill a little too high); and there's the issue where capital scale weapons only shoot well if there's an officer with high command at the trigger—and if your command is that high, you'd be better off on the bridge, well, commanding.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it looks like the link is public, I just had to do some searching through Google Drive to find the folder. I'll post in a separate thread with the updated skill list I've been using.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: