The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Great picture! I'm going to have to update my Storm Commando Heavy Weapons guy with one of these.

Yeah, I like it. Here is a bigger image. I generally have a good imagination but it is sometimes hard for me to reimagine the wooden beard/knobby nose animation of TCW and Rebels in live-action form. I chose that image because it is the most live-action looking. It is from a video game, but all the clones were cgi in AotC and RotS. With the couple of Naboo stock images as background, it looks not too far from film quality. I think that's a good image choose for Storm Commando Heavy Weapons guys.

I chose Phase II Shock Troopers to be my image for Imperial shock troopers in my SWU by deciding that they never updated their armor when the Republic transitioned to Empire. It's fitting because according to lore shocktroopers were the original "stormtroopers" (stormtroopers being a nickname for clone shock troopers before clone troopers as a whole began being called Imperial Stormtroopers). Also in my SWU, Imperial shock troopers kept being clones-only so in the classic era they are one of the last vestiges of the clone army.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-6 Rotary Blaster Cannon Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
That looks great. The only thing missing is a price for the power generator.

I got the 5,000 ammo capacity for the power generator from the Canon article, but they have that as the normal ammo capacity which is ridiculous. The Legends article has the 200 ammo blaster pack which makes more sense with your weapons, but doesn't mention an ammo capacity for the power generator, only that it can be attached to one "for longer use". What do you think for power generator price?

That raises another question. How would you stat the repeating blaster that Baze Malbus of Rogue One used, the MWC-35c "Staccato Lightning" repeating cannon? They call it a "heavy repeating blaster" but they don't mean that by the EU standards. I'm guessing that is the reason that the canon article for "heavy repeating blaster" doesn't connect with the Legends one of the same name. The description is so auto-fire with the two firing modes of more shots/chances to hit, and single shots of greater damage. I'm guessing the second option is what he was doing with the pump-action at the end of the film before he died. The weapon cost is only 3000 credits, but the power generator for it (I'm guessing that's what he's carrying on his back) has a 35,000 ammo capacity!

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the backpack generators in Rules of Engagement, hooking up a repeater to a backpack gave the trooper essentially infinite ammo, at least that was my understanding of the set up.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
With the backpack generators in Rules of Engagement, hooking up a repeater to a backpack gave the trooper essentially infinite ammo, at least that was my understanding of the set up.

35,000, infinite, whatever.

8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-6 Rotary Blaster Cannon Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I got the 5,000 ammo capacity for the power generator from the Canon article, but they have that as the normal ammo capacity which is ridiculous. The Legends article has the 200 ammo blaster pack which makes more sense with your weapons, but doesn't mention an ammo capacity for the power generator, only that it can be attached to one "for longer use". What do you think for power generator price?

Actually, going by my Auto-Fire rules, a 500-round drum would be a better fit, as a Full-Round Burst using all 4D of Auto-Fire uses 500 rounds. Plus, since the standard Light Repeater under my system has a 600-round drum, it would have similar ammo consumption, minus 100-rounds for the power supply that feeds the rotary mechanism. Going by that, a power generator would have the capacity of 10 power drums, plus power the rotary mechanism, so I'd put it at 1,200 credits.

Quote:
How would you stat the repeating blaster that Baze Malbus of Rogue One used, the MWC-35c "Staccato Lightning" repeating cannon?

Off the top of my head? I'd treat it as a Medium Repeater, but without the Move/Shoot Penalty (due to the ammo being carried on his back), along with the proviso that it's an elite weapon, not commonly available.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-6 Rotary Blaster Cannon Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Actually, going by my Auto-Fire rules, a 500-round drum would be a better fit, as a Full-Round Burst using all 4D of Auto-Fire uses 500 rounds. Plus, since the standard Light Repeater under my system has a 600-round drum, it would have similar ammo consumption, minus 100-rounds for the power supply that feeds the rotary mechanism. Going by that, a power generator would have the capacity of 10 power drums, plus power the rotary mechanism, so I'd put it at 1,200 credits.

It's been a while since I read the Auto-Fire rules, and I haven't implemented them yet (next adventure!). If I understood you correctly, here are the changes. How's this look? Should the Power Drum cost more?

Z-6 Rotary Blaster Cannon
Skill: Blaster: Rotary Blaster Cannon
Ammo: 500 (Power Drum) / 5,000 (Power Generator)
Cost: 5,500 (Power Drum: 100 / Power Generator: 1,200)
Availability: 2; X
One-Handed: No (-2D)*
Range: 3-50/120/300
Rate of Fire: 4D Auto-Fire**
Damage: 5D
Game Notes: -2D to Blaster @ Point Blank Range. Also, due to its bulk, the Rotary Blaster Cannon suffers a -1D penalty to Blaster if the gunner attempts to move and fire the gun in the same round (This penalty can be ignored on a Moderate Strength or Lifting roll as a Free Action)

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
How would you stat the repeating blaster that Baze Malbus of Rogue One used, the MWC-35c "Staccato Lightning" repeating cannon?

Off the top of my head? I'd treat it as a Medium Repeater, but without the Move/Shoot Penalty (due to the ammo being carried on his back), along with the proviso that it's an elite weapon, not commonly available.

Elite and rare, check. But that's a hefty weight to be lugging around on someone's back. I think it should still be limiting in some way.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-6 Rotary Blaster Cannon Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Should the Power Drum cost more?

I don't think so. It's basically the same size drum used in the Light and Medium Repeaters.

Quote:
But that's a hefty weight to be lugging around on someone's back. I think it should still be limiting in some way.

The Move and Fire penalty was more to represent the bulk of the weapon being held by a character's arms. Moving a portion of that weight onto the character's core makes it easier to carry by redistributing the total weight of the weapon system. That in combination with being a customized weapon (modified with after-market parts for lighter wight) is how I justify it.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump because I thought of an alternate take on selective-fire blasters. There's a line in Splinter of the Mind's Eye where Leia comments on some of the technical aspects of an E-11 Blaster Rifle, specifically that it was capable of "continuous fire on low-power only." We already know that blaster rifles can be dialed down to Stun, so it would make sense if there were other, intermediate power steps.

I'm not quite sure how I want to include this, but what springs immediately to mind is, since Leia specified 'continuous', there could potentially be a low-power mode that transfers 1D of Damage to the Auto-Fire rating. For example, if a Blaster Rifle does 5D Damage and has a 1D Auto-Fire rating, it could shift to low-power mode where it does 4D Damage with a 2D Auto-Fire rating.

I'm not even sure if I feel like going through and editing everything to reflect this, but since I was thinking of it, I figured I'd just throw this out there. Thoughts?

Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Baze's weapon, I think Shooting Womprats, Dean and I each took a stab at a version for the Rogue One sourcebook.

While I can't recall the way each of our takes differed off the top of my head, I believe I had the accounted for the crazy ammo count of 35,000 by having each single die of damage use 25 units.

And so the standard 6D shot (or 5D with fire-control) drained 150, while the scaled-up shot 7-8D power shot drained 200 — and at the expense of any available fire-control bonus. So using the "standard" mode alone would net you a more reasonable 230+ shots.

And re: the encumbrance, I think I had it so that anyone below a 3D STR suffered a MAP for the carry?

I'll have to revisit our write-ups to make certain of the specifics and of the actual numbers I used, but something along the lines of the above was my general idea of how to rationalize that ammo figure.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does "continuous" even mean? Does it mean that the weapon won't overheat? Or does it mean a continuous beam (like a lightsaber 200 meters long)?

I'm assuming the former.

If "low power" is aways a 1D for 1D trade, there is no need to add that to each weapon's profile. Just make it a blanket rule that applies to all blasters (or blasters with a selectable power level).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
What does "continuous" even mean? Does it mean that the weapon won't overheat? Or does it mean a continuous beam (like a lightsaber 200 meters long)?

I'm assuming the former.

Same here, assuming I decide to incorporate it at all.

Quote:
If "low power" is aways a 1D for 1D trade, there is no need to add that to each weapon's profile. Just make it a blanket rule that applies to all blasters (or blasters with a selectable power level).

I suppose I could also make it a feature of specific models, such as limiting it to rifles or carbines, with the tech-excuse being that the firing mechanism has to be a certain minimum size or larger to accommodate the variable power settings and blaster gas volume and recharge requirements.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-6 Rotary Blaster Cannon Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Not that this weapon is necessarily in CRMcNeill's canon of Blaster Weapons (pun intended), but it is based on his weapons rules.

I had forgotten about this, but I've decided to include it. CRMcNeill's Canon of Blaster Weapons has been updated to include the Rotary Blaster Cannon (removed the Z-6 to fit with the pattern of generic weapon types) in the Repeating Blaster section.

Whill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary Blaster Cannon Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
Not that this weapon is necessarily in CRMcNeill's canon of Blaster Weapons (pun intended), but it is based on his weapons rules.

I had forgotten about this, but I've decided to include it. CRMcNeill's Canon of Blaster Weapons has been updated to include the Rotary Blaster Cannon (removed the Z-6 to fit with the pattern of generic weapon types) in the Repeating Blaster section.

I'm honored. Although it actually was a co-created stat in the first place because you had some input.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-6 Rotary Blaster Cannon Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:

Would you consider allowing a character with, say, 5D or perhaps 6D in lifting ignore the encumbrance penalty all together?

Another idea that comes to mind is hooking this up to a power suit to bypass the penalty.

Just a thought.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary Blaster Cannon Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'm honored. Although it actually was a co-created stat in the first place because you had some input.

True, but you came to me with the question, and it's your post, so I consider myself more consulting on it than co-creating. As an aside, I've also been considering making stats for a Roto-Blaster Cannon for mounting on vehicles and starfighters...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: