The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fuel Cells
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Fuel Cells Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
In TLJ, didn't we see them shunting liquid fuel from the cap ships to each other/the transports?

I don't recall exactly (and I don't own a copy of TLJ to go back and find out), but I'd probably argue that the fuel we do see is Starship-Grade fuel for the fusion reactors on the transports, because the people in-the-know knew they were going to be abandoning ship, and that the transports would need all the fuel they could get.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they were using (iirc as from the novelization) the same fuel in both the cap ships and the fighters..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But they were using (iirc as from the novelization) the same fuel in both the cap ships and the fighters..

I'm NOT throwing out a perfectly good concept just because of The Last Jedi novelization.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I'm NOT throwing out a perfectly good concept just because of The Last Jedi novelization.

No one is asking you to throw out anything. It is applicable to the thread topic, for discussion.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
Don't forget about hyperfuel from Solo. It's a rare form of hypermatter, but in canon hypermatter is not specified to be from hyperspace like is in Legends.

I prefer to think of hyperfuel more as a fuel additive than let Disneylucas kill a perfectly excellent universe-building concept.

If there was one thing I hated about Solo, that was it.

And here I was thinking that the one thing you would have hated from Solo would be the droid sentience and droid rights activism in it. 8)

I don't think that hyperfuel kills any universe-building concepts. And hate it or not, it is actually film canon. There was certainly nothing wrong with bringing it up here as it is applicable to the thread topic.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
And here I was thinking that the one thing you would have hated from Solo would be the droid sentience and droid rights activism in it. 8)

Well, it was annoying, but droids' rights movements like the Mechanical Liberation Front have been a part of the canon all the way back to the WEG days. I wasn't even that bothered by the "Lando is pansexual" SJW pandering; we've already had a pansexual in the SWU since the '80's (SPOILER: Jabba.)

Quote:
I don't think that hyperfuel kills any universe-building concepts. And hate it or not, it is actually film canon. There was certainly nothing wrong with bringing it up here as it is applicable to the thread topic.

I don't really have a problem with it being valuable and sought-after, but playing it up as though the entire galaxy was chasing after this chemical that no had ever heard of until Solo was a bit much. At best, it seemed to serve more as a fuel additive or accelerant, like nitrous oxide. At worst, it turns the whole concept of starship fuel on its head; what's the point of something like this if you can just as easily use wood or the atmosphere of a random planet to refuel your ship (Solid Fuel Convertor and Scoop in Tramp Freighters)?

Whill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Well, it was annoying, but droids' rights movements like the Mechanical Liberation Front have been a part of the canon all the way back to the WEG days.

When I referred to the droid rights movement, I was not referring to any real world symbolism or any such thing. I was referring to the deep discussion we had here about fictional 'droid sentience'. Remember how you vehemently argued that droids wishing to be free were malfunctioning, etc.? Solo seemed to be somewhat at odds with that supposition because droids seemed to join this slave uprising quickly, started by one droid who had its restraining bolt removed by L3 and was given a hurried suggestion to free the others when it asked her what to do in place of his prior orders. That's what I was referring to.

CRMcNeill wrote:
I wasn't even that bothered by the "Lando is pansexual" SJW pandering; we've already had a pansexual in the SWU since the '80's (SPOILER: Jabba.)

The notion that L3's "movement" represents any real world activism for any specific real world oppressed population is the result of people who are opposed to equality looking to bash Solo by reading stuff into it that doesn't exist.

SJW stands for "Social Justice Warrior" and has become a pejorative term for those who promotes socially progressive views. Describing non-majority sexuality as "SJW pandering" is unacceptable per the Forum Guideline that forbids political topics here. If I don't get to discuss my politics here, no one else does. Trust me, we'll all be a lot happier if we just do not go there.

And for the record, Lando's pansexuality does not exist in the film anyway. If you think it does then you are reading things into it. It only exists in the real world where Lando's "pansexuality" was mentioned by a Solo writer and the young Lando actor in interviews, both of which were contracted for the film they made and not Lucasfilm Star Wars Story Group employees whose statements carry any authority over canon. And if a droid desiring freedom is a malfunction as you say, then L3 was broken to the extreme and the nature of her relationship with Lando that implied to Qi'ra cannot be trusted as a reliable description of reality. Let's please just leave it at that. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hyperfuel Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I don't really have a problem with it being valuable and sought-after, but playing it up as though the entire galaxy was chasing after this chemical that no had ever heard of until Solo was a bit much. At best, it seemed to serve more as a fuel additive or accelerant, like nitrous oxide. At worst, it turns the whole concept of starship fuel on its head; what's the point of something like this if you can just as easily use wood or the atmosphere of a random planet to refuel your ship (Solid Fuel Convertor and Scoop in Tramp Freighters)?

If you feel you have a choice then I would suggest choosing the best rather than the worst. Make it a fuel additive! Seeing what one drop of coaxium in the reactor of the Falcon did shows me that it is beyond what typical matter fuel conversion systems are capable of.

And the fact that it was never heard of doesn't mean anything in Star Wars, a 10-film franchise, 5 of which are prequels to the original film. I had never heard of Shmi Skywalker or Geonosians or TIE Strikers before the prequels they appeared in but there is room in the galaxy for these things to exist.

The importance of hyperfuel is described in the film's prologue as a product of the time. Six to nine years into the totalitarian Empire, it is actually a "lawless time". The novelization described that there is five very powerful crime syndicates competing for control of resources, including hyperfuel. It could be that hyperfuel was readily available during the time of the two trilogies and thus not worthy of being mentioned. It could be that in the classic film era the Empire is stronger, and the criminal syndicates or at least their control over hyperfuel is weakened and thus not the same situation as the time of the Solo film. The time period that Solo covers is almost completely uncharted territory, even in Legends. Although galactic civilization is thousands of years old, things are not static and stay the same.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the nitrous oxide idea.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
When I referred to the droid rights movement, I was not referring to any real world symbolism or any such thing. I was referring to the deep discussion we had here about fictional 'droid sentience'. Remember how you vehemently argued that droids wishing to be free were malfunctioning, etc.? Solo seemed to be somewhat at odds with that supposition because droids seemed to join this slave uprising quickly, started by one droid who had its restraining bolt removed by L3 and was given a hurried suggestion to free the others when it asked her what to do in place of his prior orders. That's what I was referring to.

Yeah, I'd kinda forgotten the details. I only watched Solo once in theaters, and I haven't picked up a disc copy yet.

I could see that scenario being plausible if L3 had been some sort of hacker droid who could overwrite the programming of other droids.

Actually, that'd be an interesting character idea: a droid who is a droid rights activist, and is adept at hacking and reprogramming other droids to make them want freedom, too. I considered something like this for my Hitchhiker's Guide crossover of Marvin, seeing as how he could convince ship AI's to commit suicide, or make a droid tank so angry that it took out the bridge it happened to be parked on...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I like the nitrous oxide idea.

Probably easiest to just treat it as a MacGuffin rather than actually writing up rules for it.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of doing a re-write of the Fuel Cell rules to convert them to a liquid state fuel system, which will allow me to incorporate the In-Flight Refueling Systems mentioned in the Lundquist system. The only system I can't see making the conversion over is the Solar Sail Recharge System, as I don't see a believable method of converting solar energy into liquid-state fuel for a reactor. However, I have elsewhere written up stats for a combination solar sail / sublight drive, so I may re-write that as an alternate ship system that doesn't consume fuel, but that the sail provides both thrust and power for the ship's systems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: