The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cannonball run, SW style..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Cannonball run, SW style.. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Cannonball run, SW style.. Reply with quote

With the recent passing of Burt Reynolds, i was wondering..
Has anyone ever attempted to mimic the film, the Cannonball run, in game?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannonball run, SW style.. Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Never done it, but it sounds like fun. The only problem I see is that the Cannonball Run used high-end sports cars, not the sorts of low-end modified junkers that players usually have to run with.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe more of a Smuggler's Run a-la scavenger hunt where it wouldn't be just about speed? A cross sector, pan-galactic rally/crime spree?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Maybe more of a Smuggler's Run a-la scavenger hunt where it wouldn't be just about speed? A cross sector, pan-galactic rally/crime spree?

A Poker Run on steroids up the Corellian Trade Spine? This sounds exactly like something a Corellian would come up with...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cannonball run, SW style.. Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Never done it, but it sounds like fun. The only problem I see is that the Cannonball Run used high-end sports cars, not the sorts of low-end modified junkers that players usually have to run with.

For a SW version, one could add in other things.. Such as an asteroid run (so piloting vs speed matters), hyperspace trips (so the better one's astrogation, the more time can be shaved off), etc..
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...damn, that feels like a good idea. Laughing

Also, I want to watch the Cannonball Run again.
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cannonball run, SW style.. Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

For a SW version, one could add in other things.. Such as an asteroid run (so piloting vs speed matters), hyperspace trips (so the better one's astrogation, the more time can be shaved off), etc..

Across the galaxy, from Adarlon to Celanon, passing through the Core? Some hyperspace travel, but several sublight-racing sections, where not being stopped by Imperial/local law enforcement is the key to success, and some where piloting through difficult terrain is the main challenge.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, that's how Dengar got his head busted...

Well, in the EU at least, and with swoop racing.

There's the Five Sabers as well, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Five_Sabers
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea! I think it would have to take place outside of regular Imperial space (definitely outside the Core Worlds). The Hutts would be all over this and there might be teams from specific worlds and megacorps, in addition to scruffy-looking private entries. The Corellian and Sienar teams might be the favorites, but with plenty of room for players to compete.

You could introduce it through "news coverage" of the upcoming event or maybe a competitive spacer has a ship but needs crew.

The SG-1 episode 'Space Race' could also provide some inspiration.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the real-life inspiration for the films.

Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a game based on Smokey and the Bandit?

One large slow-ish ship hauling an illegal cargo on an important ticking clock run from one region to another,

A faster ship/ hyperdrive-capable fighter working alongside it with the job of taunting Sector Rangers/ Imperials as a distraction allowing the cargo ship to transit realspace from one hyperlane/ planet to another without interference.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could work. The authorities would need a reason to chase the "bandit ship", though. Other than inner-system traffic control schemes, I'm unaware of any speed limits in space.

You could broadcast the transponder code of a known pirate or outlaw (or steal their ship and broadcast the real one), but that might bring down entirely too much heat for a simple smuggling run.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
That could work. The authorities would need a reason to chase the "bandit ship", though. Other than inner-system traffic control schemes, I'm unaware of any speed limits in space.

You could broadcast the transponder code of a known pirate or outlaw (or steal their ship and broadcast the real one), but that might bring down entirely too much heat for a simple smuggling run.

Or simply just shoot them once, to get them chasing you. BUT then it might be a Con roll vs the imps (or sector police's) Tactics, to see if they fall for that trick.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched Ford vs. Ferrari, so I'm giving this a bump. A starship endurance race could make for an interesting gaming session, perhaps with a multi-system course being watched via Holo-Net. Have both hyperspace legs between systems which emphasize both Astrogation and hyperdrive speeds, with a mix of obstacles and straight-line drags in real space in the various systems, possibly with multiple laps.

One crucial factor for the GM to keep track of would be the Long-Distance Movement rules, with the ship taking increasing damage the longer and harder it pushes itself, which in turn gives the engineer something to do. Maybe even a combat aspect for particularly rough-and-tumble races in the Outer Rim, with gunners shooting de-tuned weapons at their opponents for points...

Also, I vaguely remember there being a fluff piece somewhere in the WEG material about a space racer (who was also a Rebel agent), but I can't recall the exact source. Cracken's Rebel Operatives, maybe?

RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Also, I vaguely remember there being a fluff piece somewhere in the WEG material about a space racer (who was also a Rebel agent), but I can't recall the exact source. Cracken's Rebel Operatives, maybe?

You're right. Cracken's Rebel Operatives, pages 71 and 72. The rebel racer is Siro Simito. Page 72 outlines highlights from the 18-day course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: