The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules that improve on 1st edition's simplicity and fun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Rules that improve on 1st edition's simplicity and fun
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcarhat
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Rules that improve on 1st edition's simplicity and fun Reply with quote

Hey folks, I managed to get my hands on a copy of the 30th anniversary edition from FFG.

1st edition was definitely my favorite (it was just so fast and easy to play). And I really REALLY hated the idea of advanced and specalist skills in future editions. I found those to big down the game and I enjoyed the fewer, but broader range of skills

but I also remember being a bit dissatisfied with some rules so I ended up cherry picking some of my favorites from later editions.

Specifically how damage is dealt a the wild die.

I never liked how damage was calculated in 1st edition (greater but less than 2x str roll etc etc) and found that high strength characters were VERY hard to injure.

2.5 and REUP handled it much better (any damage roll that beats the targets str roll by 0-3 stuns, 4-8 wounds (1-3 in REUP actually)).

I also lieked the wild die mostly because the narrative system was the only thing I enjoyed about FFG interpretation of the the game. I actually have TWO wild dice in all my games, one good and one bad. which leads to fairly interesting rolls;

You succeed

You succeed and something unexpectedly good happens

You succeed and something unexpectedly bad happens

You succeed and something unexpectedly bad and good happens

(then the same for failures)

The last one is a delightful cluster***k.

Are there any rules from later editions (or even some.homebrew ones) that you feel improves on the fast paced 1ed formula?
Ashikaider
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a house rule for the d20 Star Wars game I played in last decade. Essentially blasters always had a charge unless you critically failed, which meant that the power pack had died. I think that a modified version of this would fit the d6 version as well.

Another idea I had was, based on martial arts for Star Wars PDF I saw recently, was to allow characters with a blaster skill of 4+ would be able to quick draw without penalty. Having heard about the rule where drawing a pistol caused an action penalty, I felt that that went against the pulpy, high adventure roots of the setting.

Aside from that, I could see slimming down some of skills (blanket skills like shooting, fighting, piloting, gunnery, etc.), and adding one or two social skills to the mix.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rules that improve on 1st editions simplicity and fun Reply with quote

jcarhat and Ashikaider, Welcome to the Pit!

The most important update to 1e would be to import the R&E combat round and reaction rules.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome newcommers!

I think you've identified the reasons why I've tended to stay with the R&E (or 2.5). I've always loved the Wild Die, and damage is fairly straightforward.

I've got a copy of the 1E, and I've read through it, but I've never gotten around to playing it.
Ashikaider
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that would be good for me would be Mook Rules. Since one of Star Wars' influences was pulp adventure, rules for easily defeatable enemies or groups of them would make the game run more smoothly for me.

I admit that the 1e combat system is cinematic and works well for heroic characters, but using it to deal with mooks could potentially slow the game down. (I've played games where a fight could run for hours in one system, but could be wrapped up in a few minutes in others.)

Currently I'm thinking about mooks having given fewer wound levels and maybe not being able to soak damage. Groups could be expressed as a dice code, and as members go down, the dice code is lowered by one. That way they could be a small challenge as a group, but be less effective as their numbers diminish.

Thoughts? Opinions? Would this be a valid method of handling this?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashikaider wrote:

That could work. Below is my tweaked wound system. While it is still rooted in 2e, I do have a 1e-inspired wound track for mooks: They only have Stunned, Wounded, Incapacitated, and Killed. W+W=I, W+I=K.

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=161842#161842
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ashikaider
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Ashikaider wrote:

That could work. Below is my tweaked wound system. While it is still rooted in 2e, I do have a 1e-inspired wound track for mooks: They only have Stunned, Wounded, Incapacitated, and Killed. W+W=I, W+I=K.

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=161842#161842

That could work. Back in the day, I played and ran quite a bit of Savage Worlds, which had Mook Rules and a chart that could be rolled on to see what happened when you were taken out of a fight. (some of them were various degrees of death, limb loss, and I think one had the character spring up as if they were never wounded, with a possible personality change that I think may have been inspired by events in Evil Dead 2.)
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For handling mooks, you could always use the rules that Feng Shui has. A hit against a mook is an auto-K.O./Kill.

I've re-done it that first wound level instantly kills a mook unless the player is actively trying not to.
Ashikaider
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
For handling mooks, you could always use the rules that Feng Shui has. A hit against a mook is an auto-K.O./Kill.

I've re-done it that first wound level instantly kills a mook unless the player is actively trying not to.

That would actually work. I haven't read or played Feng Shui, but it has been on my list of games to look for. Thinking back, I think Savage Worlds had a similar system for mooks, but it's been close to a decade since I last looked at the books for it.
Desert Kris
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scaling rules from 2nd Edition R&E are much more simple to my eyes and my ability to search in the rulebook for. Tracking the counterpart in 1st Edition for the purpose of consolidating them out of the rulebook and sourcebook caused me to panic.

In terms of personal house rules, when it comes to stormtroopers I will sometimes use a rule of thumb based on what my eyes saw in the movies: If a PC hits a stormtrooper with a blaster bolt, that trooper goes down. It may mean I'll be throwing several more stormtroopers at the players, but that is what I see happen all the time in the movies.
Desert Kris
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit on another item that's different between 1st and later edtions. Specifically in regard to the topic question of simplifying play.

For Force using characters, from what I gather all the powers under any of the Control/Sense/Alter categories are available in the 1st Edition. I like the later edition's limitation of only knowing a few powers: the Minor and Quixotic Jedi only know one power; Failed Jedi knows 2; Young Jedi and others know 3 powers and that's it. That limit feels true to the original trilogy. It would also be more simple for the player and the gamemaster, who only have to remember those select few powers, rather than all of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: