The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Another Lightsaber Combat house rule idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Another Lightsaber Combat house rule idea
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Another Lightsaber Combat house rule idea Reply with quote

I hear horror stories about how Lightsaber combat is broken and or overpowered. If I upgrade to Second edition rules I wonder what you guys think of me doing the following:

Change the activation of the power to being automatic (no roll) when lightsaber is drawn. Keeping it up would still count as an action and reactivating it would also still count as an action but I may or may not require a roll. I just think it is too many rolls and too many actions to activate as it is.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what makes the game fun.

I agree that it should be a "force power" but I think it should be inherent to all fully initiated Jedi (meaning no activation roll for a character that is an apprentice-to-a-master or better).

If you find that it is too powerful as written in the rules, there are lots of ideas here as to how to moderate it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, forcing multiple rolls (and the MAPs that come with them) is one of the few rules that keep Jedi even close to balanced as their skill level starts to ramp up.

I’m an advocate of the idea that some Force powers should be passive-use, but not Lightsaber Combat.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully intend to keep the multi-action penalty, I'm just reducing the roll and start up time. With advancement limited to one pip between sessions I do not think my players will get too powerful, too quickly.

I also may stress due force when wielding a lightsaber. What I mean by that is if you have 10D in control and are fighting street punks for example if you roll and chose to deal 14D damage with your lightsaber you could get a dark side point for being too aggressive.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The thing is, forcing multiple rolls (and the MAPs that come with them) is one of the few rules that keep Jedi even close to balanced as their skill level starts to ramp up.

I’m an advocate of the idea that some Force powers should be passive-use, but not Lightsaber Combat.

OP, you'll find that there are schools of though on this. Based on what I've read, most GMs here don't even let their players get to a point where LSC (as written) will ever get out of hand (unless you consider that a single hit with a lightsaber ending a fight is too powerful). When a Jedi character has a total of, say, 10D in his LSC, the other PCs would be around 8D or better (if you're looking at total CP expenditure).

In games I've played as a Jedi, I've literally picked up the "bucket of dice" and rolled 18-19 dice per roll (without spending a force point). Game is totally fun. Other characters were in the 11D-12D range with their primary skills and all was good. There were many things I could not do (such as shoot the enemy sniper from 250m away or navigate the asteroid field or hack into the mainframe to gain credentials to a restricted system, etc). But if anyone was foolish enough to try and engage us in melee range, that's where my character would carry the day. In ranged combat, I was pretty much limited to using whatever my opponent was using, and only if he chose to shoot at me (I could TK rocks and stuff in a pinch, but that's not nearly as deadly as a blaster bolt).

Whether or not the volume of dice is "unbalancing" ultimately comes down to the GM and what kinds of challenges he throws at the party as a whole, rather than how "powerful" a bad guy is based on his total skill dice.

I will also say this:
In order to have fun at the high levels of play with numerically unbalanced characters, you need a fairly mature group of players (or, at least the player playing the overpowered character must be mature about it... kind of like how I imagine Qui-Gon Jinn's player would have been).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: