The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Holographic Illusion Device
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Holographic Illusion Device Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentonGrey
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Holographic Illusion Device Reply with quote

Howdy folks!

I'm brand new to this system, so please have patience if I'm asking a silly question.

I've got a player that wants to be a con-man type, like an illusionist character he played in a pulp game last year. He suggested he'd like to have some type of holographic device that could do some of the same kinds of things as his illusionist, creating false images/sounds, distractions, etc. That seemed reasonably Star Wars-ish, so I'm considering it.

I was wondering how you would go about building a device like that for a starting character. How would y'all design it, mechanically? What limitations would y'all give it? I'm a bit at sea here.

Thanks!

Benton Grey
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Holographic Illusion Device Reply with quote

BentonGrey wrote:
I've got a player that wants to be a con-man type, like an illusionist character he played in a pulp game last year. He suggested he'd like to have some type of holographic device that could do some of the same kinds of things as his illusionist, creating false images/sounds, distractions, etc. That seemed reasonably Star Wars-ish, so I'm considering it.

I was wondering how you would go about building a device like that for a starting character. How would y'all design it, mechanically? What limitations would y'all give it? I'm a bit at sea here.

I'm not sure I'd allow that for a starting character, if I'd allow it at all. What we do know of holograms in the SWU doesn't seem to support full-up realistic images that can pass as real on visual inspection. Now, it's possible that what we see in the films are relatively low-bandwidth holograms, as they were only needed to convey an approximation of either the image in question (Death Star II during the briefing on Home One) or the person on the other end of the holo-connection.

However, under the WEG system, the closest approximation to something like this would be the Doubler Suit from GG10: Bounty Hunters. Even that has some pretty severe restrictions: it's a full body suit that requires recording the subject (the character wearing the armor) for a hull hour, and while the projected holograms are realistic at long range, the Difficulty drops once you get inside 50 meters (Very Difficult at 50+ meters, -5 per every 10 meters under 50 meters).

So, there's not a lot of precedent for something like what you're describing in the SWU. There is apocryphal stuff (IIRC, one of the short stories from Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina featured holographic disguises), and I vaguely recall WotC had a holographic disguise in one of their sourcebooks, but there isn't much apart from that.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal Holographic Imaging Device (PHID)
Type: Custom holographic imager
Cost: 500 (estimated)
Availability: 2
Game Notes: The PHID is about the size of a large coin and can cast a holographic image for approximately 30 seconds (5 rounds). It must be programmed with a specific image and can include voice. Programming the device can take several rounds to hours depending on how complicated and realistic the holographic image, requiring a Holographic Programming (Knowledge) check. The holographic programming roll is used for opposed Perception checks to notice the projection is holographic. Individuals closer than 3 meters automatically notice the projection is holographic, though the GM may give a temporary situation modifier depending on the scene.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would add to that. When the OT was first rendered in HD for the blu-ray release, a conscious decision was made to not upgrade the holograms. They always looked blueish-tinted and fake-looking, but in HD they look even more unrealistic. It is obvious that all the holograms are meant to be low-resolution. Realistic hologram tech may exist in the SWU, but I would make it extremely rare and expensive if it did.

If it were me I would try to steer the player away from high-tech holo tech. Perhaps he could be a disguise artist or changeling. As an illusionist he can have good ol' fashion Slight of Hand (which is what I call the Pick Pocket skill).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
PHID (Personal Holographic Imaging Device)
Type: Custom holographic imager
Cost: 500 (estimated)
Availability: 2
Game Notes: The PHID is about the size of a large coin and can cast a holographic image for approximately 30 seconds (5 rounds). It must be programmed with a specific image and can include voice. Programming a holographic image can take several rounds to hours to program depending on how complicated and realistic the holographic image, requiring a Holographic Programming (Knowledge) check.
That's a decent start, but it's light on gaming details. What's the Perception Difficulty to identify a hologram as a hologram? Does that Difficulty shift up or down based on the skill of the programmer or the time taken to program? Is it affected by how close the observer is to the hologram?

This'd be an interesting addition to the Gamblers and Scoundrels Handbook...

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In The Clone Wars series, they have a set of holographic disguises that several bounty hunters stepped into to try and kidnap Palpatine during a ceremony on Naboo.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
If it were me I would try to steer the player away from high-tech holo tech. Perhaps he could be a disguise artist or changeling.

There is a Flesh Disguise device on the last page of Galladinium's Fantastic Technology, which includes contacts (to fool retinal scanners), ID cards, flesh overlays for face and hands (facial recognition & finger-printing systems) and a voice modulator built into the mask.

Quote:
As an illusionist he can have good ol' fashion Sleight of Hand (which is what I call the Pick Pocket skill).

I wasn't aware of this until recently, but WEG actually published both Sleight of Hand and Pickpocket as separate skills. Sleight of Hand can be found in the Sabacc Guide included with Crisis on Cloud City.

Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Holographic Illusion Device Reply with quote

BentonGrey wrote:
Howdy folks!

I'm brand new to this system, so please have patience if I'm asking a silly question.

Thanks!

Holographic projectors: +5D Con: Disguise skill. That's what was suggested in D6's conversion of Force Unleashed Sourcebook for droid Proxy character. But that's not official of course.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+5d?? WOW.. At most i might see a +1 or 2d.. but 5d??
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Proxy could effectively imitate just about anyone as long as he had a picture on file of them as well as some data. His holo-emitters only really broke down if he sustained heavy damage in a fight.

But, with most videogames, you should take their stuff with a grain of salt. KotOR for example had every single Mandalorian walking around with a personal cloaking device.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Well, Proxy could effectively imitate just about anyone as long as he had a picture on file of them as well as some data. His holo-emitters only really broke down if he sustained heavy damage in a fight.

But, with most videogames, you should take their stuff with a grain of salt. KotOR for example had every single Mandalorian walking around with a personal cloaking device.

The same should probably be applied to Clone Wars and Rebels. I don't mind farming them for ideas, but I certainly don't consider them canon for D6 purposes.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have little problem with all Star Wars stuff that comes out, because I don't adhere to the idea of canon when it comes to running an RPG. I go with whatever fits at the time, and don't worry about how it conflicts with what is "official stuff".

Will this technology add to the fun and enjoyment of your game: both you as GM, and your players? If the answer is no in either of those, then I wouldn't allow miniaturized holographic units. If the answer is yes, then I would use the roll made to program them as the difficulty for either a Search or Investigation roll made by the NPCs to see if they fall for it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Will this technology add to the fun and enjoyment of your game: both you as GM, and your players? If the answer is no in either of those, then I wouldn't allow miniaturized holographic units. If the answer is yes, then I would use the roll made to program them as the difficulty for either a Search or Investigation roll made by the NPCs to see if they fall for it.

At a certain point, however, the more a gaming universe diverges from what we see in the actual Star Wars films, the less "Star Wars" it becomes. Introducing things like transporter beams, tricorders, phasers and warp drives might qualify as fun in certain circles, but it's now more D6 Trek than Star Wars. So we look at precedent in the EU as to whether a device is feasible based on what we know about the SWU. As I said, I don't mind farming the kiddie-shows for ideas, but I don't consider a kiddie-show scriptwriter's inclusion of advanced tech to be overriding canon just because they thought "oh, this would be cool."

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
That's a decent start, but it's light on gaming details.

Yeah I know. I did that intentionally. That way the GM can easily fit it into his game as he see fits. Also, I don't feel a rule light system requires in-depth rules.

CRMcNeill wrote:
What's the Perception Difficulty to identify a hologram as a hologram? Does that Difficulty shift up or down based on the skill of the programmer or the time taken to program? Is it affected by how close the observer is to the hologram?

I ad thought of this earlier and decided to go with a more rules light version of Game Notes. Here is what I initially had in mind:

Quote:
The holographic programming roll is used for opposed Perception checks to notice the projection is holographic. Individuals closer than 3 meters automatically notice the projection is holographic, though the GM may give a temporary situation modifier depending on the scene.

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Yeah I know. I did that intentionally. That way the GM can easily fit it into his game as he see fits. Also, I don't feel a rule light system requires in-depth rules.

There's truth in that, but I think that method of gaming works more for experienced GMs who know the system. Seeing as how the OP is basically starting out fresh, something with a bit more structure is advisable.

CRMcNeill wrote:
What's the Perception Difficulty to identify a hologram as a hologram? Does that Difficulty shift up or down based on the skill of the programmer or the time taken to program? Is it affected by how close the observer is to the hologram?

Quote:
The holographic programming roll is used for opposed Perception checks to notice the projection is holographic. Individuals closer than 3 meters automatically notice the projection is holographic, though the GM may give a temporary situation modifier depending on the scene.

How about a combination of the two:
    Base Difficulty of Very Easy Perception to tell it's a hologram.
    +5 for every 3 meters of distance from the hologram.
    +1 for every 3 points by which the Hologram Programmer beat a Moderate Computer Programming roll.
    Programming roll Time to Use: 1 hour, subject to Preparation / Rushing rules.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: