The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Holographic Illusion Device
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Holographic Illusion Device Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
How about a combination of the two:
    Base Difficulty of Very Easy Perception to tell it's a hologram.
    +5 for every 3 meters of distance from the hologram.
    +1 for every 3 points by which the Hologram Programmer beat a Moderate Computer Programming roll.
    Programming roll Time to Use: 1 hour, subject to Preparation / Rushing rules.

Yee-gads waaaaay too crunchy for me. Someone else may choose to use it though.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Yee-gads waaaaay too crunchy for me. Someone else may choose to use it though.

Yeah, but you're in that category of GMs who can do this in their sleep.

A variation on this idea would be, rather than pre-programming the holoprojectors, have the holo-programs loaded onto a datapad, which can then load them onto a holoprojector in a round or two. That way, the player can have a few pre-planned holos (like a stormtrooper on guard duty or something) that he can have them up and running on relatively short notice.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:
Will this technology add to the fun and enjoyment of your game: both you as GM, and your players? If the answer is no in either of those, then I wouldn't allow miniaturized holographic units. If the answer is yes, then I would use the roll made to program them as the difficulty for either a Search or Investigation roll made by the NPCs to see if they fall for it.

At a certain point, however, the more a gaming universe diverges from what we see in the actual Star Wars films, the less "Star Wars" it becomes. Introducing things like transporter beams, tricorders, phasers and warp drives might qualify as fun in certain circles, but it's now more D6 Trek than Star Wars. So we look at precedent in the EU as to whether a device is feasible based on what we know about the SWU. As I said, I don't mind farming the kiddie-shows for ideas, but I don't consider a kiddie-show scriptwriter's inclusion of advanced tech to be overriding canon just because they thought "oh, this would be cool."

There is quite a wide diversity of wacky personal SWUs out there loaded with stuff I wouldn't have in my game. I'm with you on the kiddie shows (and primarily basing the game on the films), but Raven Redstar is on the money about fun for GMs and players in general. That is the bottom line. If holodeck tech, transporters and phasers are fun for the group, there is no harm in having that stuff in their game. When I was in high school, I had alternate universes and time travel in my Star Wars game. We all had fun with it then. That wouldn't be fun for me now so I don't have that anymore, but there wouldn't be anything wrong with it if some group wanted that in their game.

CRMcNeill wrote:
I wasn't aware of this until recently, but WEG actually published both Sleight of Hand and Pickpocket as separate skills. Sleight of Hand can be found in the Sabacc Guide included with Crisis on Cloud City.

There was no "Sabacc Guide" included with the module. I double checked the module and the one page "Sabacc" card game instructions sheet, and there is no mention of Sleight of Hand. It states to cheat, the Gambling skill is used as in RAW. And Crisis on Cloud City is a 1e product that was never republished in 2e form, so even if it did have Sleight of Hand, that would not be 2e, the default of this forum which I presume to be what system the OP is using because he never identified that he was playing 1e.

I have consulted two reliable sources that compile all 2e skills from all supplements and could not find Sleight of Hand. I'll bet you are thinking of this Guide to Sabacc, a 2e fan-made document inspired by the in-universe game rules for Sabacc on p.84 of The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook. It introduces a fan skill called Sleight of Hand used to cheat at Sabacc.

R&E states Pick Pocket is also used to palm small objects, another typical feat of "sleight of hand." D6 Space (3e) replaces the Pick Pocket skill with Sleight of Hand. Even before that, I always considered Pick Pocket to include general feats of slight of hand, my renaming of the skill was just for clarification.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. My bad. They certainly did a bang-up job of making it look like an official WEG publication.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At a certain point, however, the more a gaming universe diverges from what we see in the actual Star Wars films, the less "Star Wars" it becomes. Introducing things like transporter beams, tricorders, phasers and warp drives might qualify as fun in certain circles, but it's now more D6 Trek than Star Wars. So we look at precedent in the EU as to whether a device is feasible based on what we know about the SWU. As I said, I don't mind farming the kiddie-shows for ideas, but I don't consider a kiddie-show scriptwriter's inclusion of advanced tech to be overriding canon just because they thought "oh, this would be cool.

Except that we've had someone here who has run Star Trek/Star Wars crossovers and had a blast. At the end of the day, it's a game, it should be fun. There's no reason for any of us to be snobbish about what someone else does to have fun in their home campaign. There was a time on this forum when people were flamed and trolled because of what they thought would be a fun addition to their game.

To the same thought, you take enjoyment from taking pieces that largely don't fit together because of shoddy editing, or because of large-scale changes in the franchise, you trim off or change the bits that don't make sense to you, and fit the pieces back together to make your home universe, and that's okay. I recall plenty of times when you were criticized for making so many changes and house rules, and you have the best part of WEG's rulebook quoted in your signature as a result. Good old page 69.

There are aspects of cartoons that I dislike, my last watch-through I skipped over a couple of story arcs which I found to be largely boring (Mortis for instance), but overall I found most of the stories to be at least entertaining, which is their purpose.

My only reason for bringing up the cartoons was to show that there is technically an in-universe example which could explain why a player might think that it was doable. Every person's personal canon is different, and even if we don't always agree, we can still be respectful of their personal universe.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Except that we've had someone here who has run Star Trek/Star Wars crossovers and had a blast. At the end of the day, it's a game, it should be fun. There's no reason for any of us to be snobbish about what someone else does to have fun in their home campaign. There was a time on this forum when people were flamed and trolled because of what they thought would be a fun addition to their game.

Not on my watch!

Quote:
Every person's personal canon is different, and even if we don't always agree, we can still be respectful of their personal universe.

Word.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

Not on my watch!

Quote:
Every person's personal canon is different, and even if we don't always agree, we can still be respectful of their personal universe.

Word.

Laughing Of course not on your watch, Whill, it was a long time ago. Unless you're referring to a Trek/Wars crossover, it still happened a long time ago, but there's a chance it could happen again. Laughing
BentonGrey
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What thorough and thoughtful responses! Thanks guys! There's even more of an active community here than I thought, which is awesome!

There were some excellent points about the nature of the holograms we see in SW. I think, given that, one of the more limited devices folks described might be best if I go with such a thing, but I'm definitely going to reflect on all of this.

Benton Grey
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

But, with most videogames, you should take their stuff with a grain of salt. KotOR for example had every single Mandalorian walking around with a personal cloaking device.

Well. Soon we are gonna find out more...

Some cast rumors
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BentonGrey wrote:
Wow! What thorough and thoughtful responses! Thanks guys! There's even more of an active community here than I thought, which is awesome!

There were some excellent points about the nature of the holograms we see in SW. I think, given that, one of the more limited devices folks described might be best if I go with such a thing, but I'm definitely going to reflect on all of this.

Only just learned of this thread! There is the “holographic disguise matrix" invented by the Snivvian bounty hunter Sinrich, from the Clone Wars series, though it was considered cutting edge. His device projected pretty convincing holo-disguises, but the holos lasted only a short period of time and could not withstand much continuous movement or intense physical action on the part of its user.

Here are Sinrich's stats and write-up: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-7Q2Dm1-OcIY3NNSUthMFA4TkE/view

Along with just the device itself:

HOLOGRAPHIC DISGUISE MATRIX

Developed by technological genius Sinrich, the disguise matrix (also known as the "shadow hologram") is an experimental example of advanced holography. Contained within a palm-sized emitter, it cloaks a user in an exacting, true-color holographic shell. Any disparities between subject build and height are compensated for by advanced sensors that "paint in" differences using holomatter. Combined with sensor-baffling gear and vocal emulators, the emitter is the ideal infiltration tool – or would be, had Sinrich survived to address its shortcomings in power supply, and in image consistency.

Type: Experimental holographic disguise device
Scale: Character
Skill: Sensors, computer programming/repair
Cost: Not available for sale
Availability: 4, X

Game Notes: Successful use creates disguise that requires onlookers to make a Very Difficult search or sensors roll to discern deception. For every 2D rounds of continuous movement by a disguised user, or whenever user makes a Dexterity or Strength roll, onlookers gain a +2D bonus to detect the disguise that round, due to holoimage fluctuation. If user takes three or more actions in one round, powerpack overloads, holoshell integrity is breached, and disguise dissolves. Activation of device counts as one non-roll action. Setting disguise parameters requires a Moderate sensors check and one full round to scan target, or a Difficult computer programming/repair check to assemble disguise from preexisiting holodata. Powerpack lasts 30 minutes and stores 2 disguises.

Sources: Star Wars: The Clone Wars S04E17 "The Box" and S04E18 "Crisis on Naboo", Wookieepedia, starwars.com/databank/sinrich,
and starwars.com/databank/holographic-disguise-matrix. Stats and adapted/additional text by Telsij.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: