The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Movie Fatigue?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Movie Fatigue? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Movie Fatigue? Reply with quote

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bob-iger-disneys-streaming-service-james-gunn-star-wars-slowdown-1145493

Disney CEO Bob Iger finally agreed with me that they are putting out Star Wars movies too frequently. After Episode IX, they are slowing down the release schedule from one a year. The next 9-10 SW movies are still in development for release after Episode IX.

I'm really happy about this. We don't need a new Star Wars movie every year. Since I am from the era where you wait 3 (or 16 years) in between films, every other year would be fine with me.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. I do think 1 a year is a little bit much.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Movie Fatigue? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
...every other year would be fine with me.

I completely agree. Take your time and deliver a quality product. Even the old James Bond films usually arrived every other year, and look how long that franchise has lasted. Except for those first four films (4 consecutive years!), but hey, they had Connery.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Movie Fatigue? Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Whill wrote:
...every other year would be fine with me.

I completely agree. Take your time and deliver a quality product. Even the old James Bond films usually arrived every other year, and look how long that franchise has lasted. Except for those first four films (4 consecutive years!), but hey, they had Connery.

But even Connery got sick of James Bond. Laughing

But yeah, while I personally don't mind having a Star Wars movie come out every year, I also have absolutely no problem with slowing down to having one every other year if it makes the movies better. Like Whill, I'm also from the era where we had to wait three (or sixteen) years between movies, so having one every other year doesn't bother me much.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure Connery got sick of bond, or the exes's just decided to go with a new guy.. Much like they've kept doing since.. 4-5 movies, new bond.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading that Connery hated playing Bond.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Bond fan, but I would have to say the early Bond franchise is incomparable to the modern Star Wars franchise because producing movies back then is an entirely different beast than it is now.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I remember reading that Connery hated playing Bond.

Yeah, I remember reading an interview with Pierce Brosnan around the time he was doing Goldeneye and the interviewer asked him "Do you know who first said 'I hate that James Bond, I'd like to kill him?'" and Brosnan immediately replied "Sean Connery."
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Movie fatigue? No I'm jonesing for more. I think what any sensible fan would do at this point, between SW film releases, is rewatch every movie released in 1977 so as to properly contextualize the original movie. Obviously.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
...rewatch every movie released in 1977 so as to properly contextualize the original movie. Obviously.

So...you're watching A New Hope (the every-and-only Star Wars movie released in 1977) to properly contextualize A New Hope (the original movie)?

I guess that kinda makes sense. I think. Shocked
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:
...rewatch every movie released in 1977 so as to properly contextualize the original movie. Obviously.

So...you're watching A New Hope (the every-and-only Star Wars movie released in 1977) to properly contextualize A New Hope (the original movie)?

I'm stuck at home on temporary disability for the next month, and even I don't have that kind of time...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

I'm stuck at home on temporary disability for the next month, and even I don't have that kind of time...

I remember one time, when I was around 8 years old (so around 1980-81), my parents went out of town, so my sister and I had to spend a week at a friend of the family's house. I spent every day of that week sleeping until noon, then eating lunch, then watching Tron on the VHS, then Star Wars immediately after, and then eat dinner, and then watch Tron a second time immediately after that, then going to bed. That was probably the most fun I had as a kid whenever my parents went on vacation without me and my sister, which happened more than a few times.

Good times.

All the other times Mom and Dad would leave me and Sis behind, we'd get stuck in Argentina with relatives for 5 weeks at a time, which REALLY sucked because I couldn't speak Spanish back then.

You have never been bored until you've been Stuck-In-A-Foreign-Country-Where-You-Don't-Speak-The-Language-For-Five-Weeks-At-A-Time-Bored.

So, yeah, the daily Tron-Star Wars-Tron marathon for a week was actually a high point compared to that.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have my own version of that. I broke my leg in high school, so my parents made a videotape with all three Star Wars movies back to back. They even clipped out the credits. It would get right to the end of one and go straight to the opening crawl of the next, then I'd rewind and start again. I couldn't even tell you how many times I watched it, but I was stuck on that couch for a week. I was a serious Star Wars fan before. After, I could quote the entire movie line by line.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

No. Not ANH.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_films_of_1977
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

No. Not ANH.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_films_of_1977

Oh, I see. You mean every American movie released in all of 1977, not every Star Wars movie released in 1977 (of which there was only one).

I was confused because you didn't properly contextualize that. Or rather you did, but with ambiguous language. I wasn't expecting you to refer to non-Star Wars movies. Wink 8) Laughing

But damn, that's ALOT of movies to watch.

Last edited by Sutehp on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: