The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Bee scout droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Bee scout droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Bee scout droids Reply with quote

Portable hive (in small backpack) with 30 bee scout droids.
Equipment manufactured for military use by one of Corporate Sector Corporations. Presented as a gift to Syrin "Lucky" Zendu who uses it frequently for reconnaissance while visiting new locations or in need of additional informaitons about surrounding area in range to 5km.

Bee Droid statistics:
Dexterity 1D
Dodge: 2D
Knowledge 1D
Mechanical 1D
Perception 1D

Spot: 2D
Hide: 1D
Strength 1D
Flying: 3D
Technical 1D
Security: 1D+2
Communications: 2D
Equipped with:
Visual and audio sensors
Micro repulsor generator
Transmitting/receiving module
Active/passive locator
Move: 30
Range: 2/4/5 km, 5h power supply
Size: 0,05 m long
Scale (Optional): Fine (-8D), apply to both their Body rating to resist damage (-7D against a Character-Scale weapon), +8D to Dodge.
[b]Personality matrix: none

Hive (backpack): power supply (charger), download data, auto-service
Cost: 50 000 Credits

Game notes:
1. Bee transmitter/receiver can be linked with arm computer or other portable computer.
2. Backpack 10l, weights 1,6 kg, cast synthetic backpack compartment, shockproof.
it requires charging for 2 hours from a standard power source after the bee batteries are discharged.
3. Commanding and communicating droids require communications roll difficulty >10 while using linked computer [usually arm computer]
4. If bee droids gets to less than 10% energy, it lands in nearest possible safe spot (rooftop, tree and so on)
5. Each bee has an active locator – which sends location signal to linked computer, and a passive locator which can be activated when bee has no energy left. It reflects signal received from small bee locator device build into backpack (it sends signal in 100 m range). Mentioned device is designed to locate “lost” bees.
6. One of very usefull functions of bees is creation of map of area in 2/4/5 km range (the larger area is covered with the map the higher difficulty - operator rolls for communications - difficulty 5/10/12).

Last edited by Ten-20-Three on Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a thought while reading this.

I re-wrote the 2R&E Scale System a while back, and as part of the process, I folded the Called Shot rules from 2R&E into the Scale System. This effectively gives small objects a negative Scale modifier (-2D, -4D etc.) Now, I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but under that system, these Bee Droids would qualify as Fine (-8D), which would apply to both their Body rating to resist damage (basically, -7D against a Character-Scale weapon), but would also make them +8D to Dodge.

Here's the link, if that sounds interesting.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I had a thought while reading this.

I re-wrote the 2R&E Scale System a while back, and as part of the process, I folded the Called Shot rules from 2R&E into the Scale System. This effectively gives small objects a negative Scale modifier (-2D, -4D etc.) Now, I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but under that system, these Bee Droids would qualify as Fine (-8D), which would apply to both their Body rating to resist damage (basically, -7D against a Character-Scale weapon), but would also make them +8D to Dodge.

Here's the link, if that sounds interesting.

Oh, it definitely does! I was thinking about using WOTC D20 SW scales, but in the end I thought that GM can just add a modifier that suits him. Your system looks nice and playable and I will use it. Only thing that confuses me is the Dreadnought scale, which does not include Dreadnought – Class.

Thanks.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten-20-Three wrote:
Only thing that confuses me is the Dreadnought scale, which does not include Dreadnought – Class.

Since Scale is primarily a measurement of size (with some exceptions), the Dreadnaught is placed on the upper end of the Frigate-Scale.

As to Dreadnought-Scale? Well, the Dreadnaught is actually misspelled, with a "a" instead of an "o". It's a technicality, but enough for the two to exist in the same system without being the same.

Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Since Scale is primarily a measurement of size (with some exceptions), the Dreadnaught is placed on the upper end of the Frigate-Scale.

As to Dreadnought-Scale? Well, the Dreadnaught is actually misspelled, with a "a" instead of an "o". It's a technicality, but enough for the two to exist in the same system without being the same.

Nice. I wrote my last post at 2 AM and I haven't noticed the typing difference.

I think that the class refers to some extent to the size. That is why it did not sound to me right in the first place. Haven't you thought about using different name to avoid confusion - like the Sovereign or the Eclipse. The Sovereign sounds especially interesting, cause like frigate, brings a nice reference to the age of sails.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten-20-Three wrote:
Haven't you thought about using different name to avoid confusion - like the Sovereign or the Eclipse. The Sovereign sounds especially interesting, cause like frigate, brings a nice reference to the age of sails.

No, because Dreadnought actually has a real meaning in naval terminology. It literally means "fears nothing." Calling a ship a dreadnought means its bigger and more powerful than anything else it could reasonably expect to encounter. As such, dreadnought is a perfect fit. Sovereign and Eclipse are just class-names.

Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
No, because Dreadnought actually has a real meaning in naval terminology. It literally means "fears nothing." Calling a ship a dreadnought means its bigger and more powerful than anything else it could reasonably expect to encounter. As such, dreadnought is a perfect fit. Sovereign and Eclipse are just class-names.

Well, if we want to step into the naval terminology, our modern perception of Dreadnought comes from HMS Dreadnaught which entered service in 1906 - and except being the fearless did not do much damage to enemy fleets. As you said it became a name of a whole class of dreadnought ships and actually started a new era in naval shipbuilding, so the preceding ships started to be called pre-dreadnoughts. The term was used earlier, since probably XVI century, and there are something like 10 naval ships with that name. Currently, a new ballistic missile submarine class is called Dreadnought, and the first ship which will enter the service will be named HMS Dreadnought. So, it has at least few applications – name, size and class. Therefore , it is perfectly alright to use this name, especially Star Wars mixes terms from real history with completely fictional. I am not really a great fan of the transposition of historical battle ship classes to SW, because in my opinion it is a cliché, but we have to fit into it to keep it logical.
I thought about Sovereign, because I read about her and in its time this man o’ war was real dreadnought, while in SW Dreadnought ship is outdated ironclad – probably referring to the one from 1906. I have also checked and the Sovereign class is already taken by Star Trek, so no sense of expand this topic.
This all being said, I can follow your logic. Dreadnought it is.
Finally, one question, did you ever gamemaster a larger battle in your sessions with more than 3 players? I did some larger battles with 2-3 players and it was quite ok – with some simplifications, but even with that, when I had 6 players, a relatively small encounter of two transporters with some firepower and five starfighters, slowed my game so much that I resigned of doing more space battles in future (for more than 3 players). I think it could have sense if the players would be masters of D6 mechanics themselves. Did you have any similar problems with game flow during space fights – do you use any house rules to limit number of dice rolls?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, these questions are far enough removed from the OP that they merit a topic of their own. We can continue discussing my scale system in that topic if you have more questions, and your question about handling large groups is best suited to the Gamemasters section.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: