The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Posting images
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Posting images
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Posting images Reply with quote

What would it take to set up the Rancor Pit to be able to take images uploaded from a device, rather than being hosted, and what can I do to help make this happen?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Uploading images Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
What would it take to set up the Rancor Pit to be able to take images uploaded from a device, rather than being hosted, and what can I do to help make this happen?

It is not currently an option with the current php software that powers the forum. I don't know but it may be an option with a future upgrade. If there is ever anything you can do, I'll let you know.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we running the latest (free) version available of the php software that is used on the forum?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, if a premium would be required, what is the cost?
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OuttaWindu wrote:
Are we running the latest (free) version available of the php software that is used on the forum?

I am 99% certain the answer to that is no.

Naaman wrote:
Or, if a premium would be required, what is the cost?

It is probably not a matter of cost (but there may be costs I am not aware of yet). Upgrading the forum's software is simply not a priority at this time. Right now, the site functions as it always has. I primarily took ownership of the website to save it from annihilation, not because I am a very experienced webmaster. The websites I had managed before this one were very basic websites that did not use php. I am learning as I go. Improvements are on the back burner. If we rush these things, the site could get jacked up and (1) the site could go down temporarily for an indeterminate amount of time, and/or (2) we could lose our previous posts. I am not currently equipped to deal with these things.

If you know any experienced php webmasters who have successfully upgraded their websites to more modern versions of the software without any losses, please PM me their contact info. However, please still do not expect this upgrade anytime soon. We are not going to rush into this just to gain a minor convenience that we have gotten by this long without. I'm sorry. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Wed May 13, 2020 2:53 am; edited 2 times in total
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
f you know any experienced php webmasters who have successfully upgraded their websites to more modern versions of the software without any losses, please PM me their contact info. However, please still do not expect this upgrade anytime soon. We are not going to rush into this just to gain a minor convenience that we have gotten by this long without. I'm sorry. Thank you.

I understand upgrading or switching framework would contain risk, lots of work, and possibly money, and that's why I didn't even think of bringing it up. Someone who have experience would ideelly show up and offer their support for helping out.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Whill. No pressure. I am more ignorant of these thing than you are. Was just asking because it is the single feature that I wish we had.

Frankly, I prefer the "old school" simplicity of the site's current state: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They updated the D6 online forums some time ago, and I think it has the features that Naaman is looking for. I think Grimace is a member both here and there, he may know something about what it takes to do that kind of update to the forums.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
They updated the D6 online forums some time ago, and I think it has the features that Naaman is looking for. I think Grimace is a member both here and there, he may know something about what it takes to do that kind of update to the forums.

I am a moderator on D6 Online with Grimace. D6 Online no longer uses php. The current owner of D6 Online is Magman who handles the webmastering end of site administration, while Grimace is the day-to-day operational forum manager admin. I've been in contact with Magman this year. Magman is a possible but improbable resource as he is very busy in RL and his time for online matters is very limited.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

I am a moderator on D6 Online with Grimace. D6 Online no longer uses php. The current owner of D6 Online is Magman who handles the webmastering end of site administration, while Grimace is the day-to-day operational forum manager admin. I've been in contact with Magman this year. Magman is a possible but improbable resource as he is very busy in RL and his time for online matters is very limited.

I didn't realize that they were using a totally new platform, although I shouldn't be too surprised. It's very spiffy. It'll be a huge undertaking anyway, with as many posts as we have over the 15 years of activity.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Sorry, Whill. No pressure. I am more ignorant of these thing than you are. Was just asking because it is the single feature that I wish we had.

Frankly, I prefer the "old school" simplicity of the site's current state: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It is true that there is no option to add user image uploading without changing the forum as a whole, but I am sorry for the inconvenience.

As far as free image uploading, I use mediafire. Sometimes it takes a little fiddling to get a direct URL to the image for posting purposes, but it never takes long. If anyone has a better service, please share.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: