The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

L-2783 Bulk Cruiser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> L-2783 Bulk Cruiser
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: L-2783 Bulk Cruiser Reply with quote

Corellian Engineering Corporation Deep Space Recovery Vessel L-2783
Starships of all types and sizes can encounter trouble anywhere in the galaxy. Much like a planetside recovery service craft, the L-2783 can travel to a remote site to repair, or recover a damaged starship, sometimes as salvage. Based on a bulk cargo capital ship, the cavernous cargo hold of the L-2783 is capable of containing and carrying ships and debris up to the size of an old-style cruiser. Powerful tractor beams pull in ships or wreckage as needed, and the hold can be partitioned off by enormous force fields. The tractor beam can tow smaller craft at sublight speeds.

A small fleet of twin-seated scavenger pods operate from an aft-facing hangar bay. The pods are armed with plasma cutters and clamps, enabling them to retrieve smaller objects and deposit them into the L-2783's pair of large dorsal holds. An array of repair shops and supply vaults allow the ship to make repairs to other craft vessel when needed. The L-2783 comes standard with minimal weaponry, but its strong shields protect it from pirates and aggressive scavengers. A regular crew can reach into the hundreds, though it can operate with a skeleton crew of twenty-five.

Over the years, many scavengers have converted the L-2783 to be full-time salvage craft, making their living by harvesting materials from wrecks new and old. A few Outer Rim crime lords and mercenary groups have refitted these vessels as small carriers, which also requires substantial upgrades to weaponry and shielding. Pirates occasionally use ships of this model to waylay and abscond with entire freighters, using the pods as makeshift assault craft, though they are easy targets for any serious military vessel. A few true entrepreneurs use L-2783s as massive mobile repair centers, regularly servicing orbital space stations and deep space outposts, and even carrying out in-flight repairs.

L-2783 Bulk Cruiser
Craft: Corellian Engineering Corporation L-2783 Bulk Cruiser
Type: Bulk cruiser
Scale: Starship
Length: 435 meters
Skill: Capital ship piloting: L-2783
Crew: 100 officers and enlisted crew, gunners: 4, skeleton: 25/+10
Passengers: 100
Cargo Capacity: 25,000 metric tons
Consumables: 1 year
Cost: 6.5 million
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x4
Hyperdrive Backup: x15
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 0D
Space: 3
Atmosphere: 260; 750 kmh
Hull: 5D+2
Shields: 1D
Sensors:
--- Passive: 30/1D
--- Scan: 50/1D+2
--- Search: 70/2D+1
--- Focus: 3/3D
Customization Hard Points: 7
Vehicle Complement: 50 maintenance/scavenger pods, 4 cargo shuttles
Weapons:
Light Turbolaser Cannon
--- Fire Arc: Turret (dorsal)
--- Skill: Starship gunnery
--- Fire Control: 1D
--- Space Range: 1-3/12/25
--- Atmosphere Range: 100-300/12/25
--- Damage: 5D
2 Medium Laser Cannons
--- Fire Arc: Turret (starboard, port)
--- Fire Control: 1D
--- Space Range: 1-5/15/30
--- Atmosphere Range: 100-500/1.5/3 km
--- Damage: 4D
Heavy Tractor Beam
--- Fire Arc: Front (ventral)
--- Fire Control: 2D
--- Space Range:
1-3/12-20
--- Atmosphere Range: 30-100/300/500 km
--- Damage: 4D

Source: Special Modifications (p.64), stats by Oliver Queen.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this!

Is the listed cost new or used?

The vessel strikes me as a kind of AAA in space. Do you envision a governmental entity like the Sector Rangers or some other space authority operating these to assist stranded ships? In addition to private interests, of course.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
I like this!

Awesome!

Pel wrote:
Is the listed cost new or used?

My guess new.

Pel wrote:
The vessel strikes me as a kind of AAA in space. Do you envision a governmental entity like the Sector Rangers or some other space authority operating these to assist stranded ships? In addition to private interests, of course.

Its very expensive, requiring a large crew, vehicle drivers, maintenance crews, etc. I would think only a very well off group, small government or corporation could reasonably operate one of these efficiently.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, what really annoys me is that so many ship write-ups don't have an accompanying picture of what the ship looks like. FFG is pretty bad about that as it seems that at least a good third of the starships they describe don't have an accompanying picture. That said, I was able to find an illustration of the L-2783 on page 64 of Special Modifications, but naturally the Cybershop Ship in the previous entry doesn't have a picture.

Also, Pel, according to the FFG write-up, the L-2783 is used by scavengers who use the ship to find and scange old wrecks, by a few pirates who find its cavernous hangar bay useful in absconding with entire light freighters, by crime lords and mercenaries who use the L-2783 as fighter carriers, and by enterprising businessmen who use the L-2783 as a mobile repair facility for orbiting space stations and remote deep space outposts. As shootingwomprats says, this ship may be expensive to maintain, but apparently more than a few groups have managed to at least break even with using this ship.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: SHIP IMAGE Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Ugh, what really annoys me is that so many ship write-ups don't have an accompanying picture of what the ship looks like. FFG is pretty bad about that as it seems that at least a good third of the starships they describe don't have an accompanying picture. That said, I was able to find an illustration of the L-2783 on page 64 of Special Modifications, but naturally the Cybershop Ship in the previous entry doesn't have a picture.

I believe this is the image for the ship, but I do not think the bay is big enough nor does it appear to have room for 50 scavenger pods.

CLICK FOR LARGE IMAGE
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Kinda wish I'd thought of something like this when I was doing my salvager's splatbook.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Wow. Kinda wish I'd thought of something like this when I was doing my salvager's splatbook.

Didn't you see me attach your name to the post I made in the G+ community for this posting?
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

To be fair, there were plenty of WEG ships with no images attached.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

To be fair, there were plenty of WEG ships with no images attached.

And those always annoyed me as well. Laughing

Kudos to Don for attaching the pic from the FFG book of the L-2783. And yeah, Don, the pic doesn't seem to match the stated proportions to me either. And to be fair, a number of people on the FFG forum have said the same thing.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
And yeah, Don, the pic doesn't seem to match the stated proportions to me either.

Unfortunately, that's also not a problem unique to FFG.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
cheshire wrote:

Didn't you see me attach your name to the post I made in the G+ community for this posting?

Oh man, I'm behind on my G+ posts. I'll go and check.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: