The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Obscure Character Archive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Obscure Character Archive! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Han Solo Reply with quote

Han is still my favorite Star Wars character.

Telsij wrote:
Whill wrote:
I can't wait to see the Solo book!

Thank you very much, Whill! The other week, Don knocked out many entries as well, so it is shaping up well thus far!
And speaking of Solo, might as well post the man of the hour, before diving back into the film's "obscure" characters:

HAN SOLO
Type: Aspiring Outlaw

(As of the Kessel Run)...

Excellent work, as always. Just a couple specific responses...

Telsij wrote:
technology 4D+1, value 4D+2

Technology is a 1e skill that was folded into value in 2e.

Telsij wrote:
con 5D+2
Quote:
HAN: This is a thermal detonator... <click-click>... that I just armed.
PROXIMA: That's a rock.
HAN: No it's not.
PROXIMA: Yes it is. You just made a clicking noise with your mouth.

One of the funniest bits in the film so I just had to share here.

I don't think I would give Han that high of a Con skill. Maybe above average, like 4D+2. I think the rock-detonator con maybe worked on some of the bystanders there, perhaps the lower Perception ones. But throughout all the films, none of Han's cons really worked well except in RotJ.

Telsij wrote:
Size: 1.72 meters tall (1.8 meters tall by 0 BBY)

So Corellian men have a growth spurt in their mid-20s? The new Chewie actor, while very tall, is shorter than Peter Mayhew, so chronologically Chewbacca was taller, then shorter, then taller, then shorter.

I just have to disregard this because it attacks my disbelief suspension. I think it was on the Solo special features, this bit where Alden Ehrenreich is being interviewed and he is surprised by Harrison Ford walking in unannounced (the interviewer was in on it). It became readily apparent that Harrison is taller than Aldren. Aldren was a fantastic actor for a younger Han and they cast the right guy for sure. I can "believe" that Ewan McGregor grows old into Sir Alec Guinness, and Alden Ehrenreich grows older into Han Solo. I just ignore these differences caused by different actors.

So how tall is Han in my book? Visibly taller than "a little short for a stormtrooper". Wink
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback and constructive crit, Whill!

Re: con, in hindsight, I’m inclined to agree. I originally had him at 5D, then managed to convince myself to up it two pips, conflating the character’s utter confidence in his sometimes less than stellar cons with a bit more ability than is actually there — though the concepts (unyielding bravado and confidence aiding the effectiveness of a con vs. how convincing a concept a given con is built upon) are interconnected (and factor into the die code) for sure. Han’s effective cons in SOLO are also due, in part, to good — albeit improvised/spur-of-the-moment — plans undergirding the actual “acting” needed (eg: the coaxium switch/non-switch). And so, back to 5D! (There’s even an Advantages/Disadvantages list out there online somewhere that uses “bad liar” as an example of a disadvantage Han Solo had, haha!)

Re: height differences and the technology skill: The height difference is substantial enough, but since this is Han as played by Alden, I’ll go with only 1.72 meters. Same with folding technology into value. Will keep value alone. My desire for several skills as defined by 1st edition are showin’! I’d wanted to include a skill that conveyed practical all around familiarity with tech, rather than the academic/research-based approach that the scholar skill conveys. But because my ideas on 1. somehow making in-universe sense of two actors’ disparate heights transitioning into one another, and 2. looking for that more general 1e-flavored skill (outside of specific X or Y repair TEC skills) were not fully formed, I will gladly go without!
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I love how Han is unique in that he gets multiple quotes instead of just one. That's just awesome. 8)

Thank you, Sutehp! Didn't feel fair to narrow it down to just the one.

Speaking of narrowing things down: of the principal characters at least, I think this now leaves just Val and Dryden Voss!
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
Thank you for the feedback and constructive crit, Whill!

Re: con, in hindsight, I’m inclined to agree. I originally had him at 5D, then managed to convince myself to up it two pips, conflating the character’s utter confidence in his sometimes less than stellar cons with a bit more ability than is actually there — though the concepts (unyielding bravado and confidence aiding the effectiveness of a con vs. how convincing a concept a given con is built upon) are interconnected (and factor into the die code) for sure. Han’s effective cons in SOLO are also due, in part, to good — albeit improvised/spur-of-the-moment — plans undergirding the actual “acting” needed (eg: the coaxium switch/non-switch). And so, back to 5D! (There’s even an Advantages/Disadvantages list out there online somewhere that uses “bad liar” as an example of a disadvantage Han Solo had, haha!)

You're quite right about the coaxium con working. I retract my comment.

Telsij wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
I love how Han is unique in that he gets multiple quotes instead of just one. That's just awesome. 8)

Thank you, Sutehp! Didn't feel fair to narrow it down to just the one.

I agree for the Solo quotes. But IMO the quintessential Han Solo character quote still remains, "Never tell me the odds!"
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the stats that have been posted. However, I think Han's stats need to be looked at again, and I mean beyond the suggestions that have already been mentioned. He already has official stats as of the Battle of Yavin listed in the Star Wars Special Edition Sourcebook. You should consider consulting that and other such works as references when statting characters like Han for earlier events. You can't go higher than what has been statted out as of the Battle of Yavin.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
I like the stats that have been posted. However, I think Han's stats need to be looked at again, and I mean beyond the suggestions that have already been mentioned. He already has official stats as of the Battle of Yavin listed in the Star Wars Special Edition Sourcebook. You should consider consulting that and other such works as references when statting characters like Han for earlier events. You can't go higher than what has been statted out as of the Battle of Yavin.

Hi, Foreceally. I have definitely already consulted those stats (as well as his Corporate Sector handbook stats, which are closer to an old EU parallel timeframe to Solo, in addition to my own reading of those novels), and in quite in-depth ways -- I always do, especially for established characters that are being revised -- but only as reference. And this take on Han is specifically a take on how he appears in Solo, and in new canon. We did similar revisions for General Dodonna and Mon Mothma, for example, taking into account new information on them as given by Rogue One and the Rebels series, as new stories introduce new elements that their previous, static stat-blocks could not have taken into account.

His official stats, while obviously official for WEG in the old canon / now "Legends" era, do not take into account the info that has followed in the years since -- which these stats do! And imho, Han can definitely exceed certain stats as were presented in his WEG stat-block -- but only where appropriate and justified by new canon evidence, as are the few cases where this version does, eg: willpower, 4D MEC attribute (thus bringing Han to a full 18D total, rather than the 17D+2 he was given by WEG in all but one publication), the slight bump from space transports at 6D+2 to 7D -- and at such a level at an earlier time in his life, his skill with starfighters, etc. The stats are supported by the Solo film, and its ancillary print material.

As always however, please feel free to continue to use the official statblocks, or alter those and these as you see fit, for your own use in your game! Very Happy

Last edited by Telsij on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's your book. Your choice. I'm a sticklier for details and accuracy. And as far as the old WEG sourcebooks go, they may be "Legends", but they established the groundworks for these forums, so they should be treated as official sources - Canon, Legend, Infinities, etc.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
It's your book. Your choice. I'm a sticklier for details and accuracy. And as far as the old WEG sourcebooks go, they may be "Legends", but they established the groundworks for these forums, so they should be treated as official sources - Canon, Legend, Infinities, etc.

You'll find no greater stickler for details and accuracy than me, so I am glad to be in good company with someone who cares as much about Star Wars and WEG's SWD6 RPG as you and I both clearly do! I have a healthy respect for the old EU, as I grew up with those stories -- and with WEG. There were definitely peaks and valleys in terms of quality (as there are today), and while the old EU is not canon now, there is obviously no disrespect intended, especially because there are a great many old EU and WEG things that I myself loved and love still. If anything, it's my hope that you will see our revised stats as *more* accurate to the current characters, taking into account all new material, as well as being meticulously researched by people that know the old stuff well, all while accounting for what were in some instances, and imho, oversights on WEG's part.

And yes, WEG sourcebooks and the old canon sources gave rise to a great forum -- why, I even miss the dice roller that used to be here when I was just an anonymous Lurker!

Thank you for being reasonable and respectful in discussion, and for recognizing that yes, these stats are specifically intended to be based on the new, current canon, rather than be constrained solely by the old canon.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
Notes: Adjusted his attributes from existing WEG materials, which always gave him 17D+2 rather than 18D. Added that +1 to MEC to better reflect his mech/piloting talents...

The stats above are still compatible with his existing WEG stats as Han's future projection, just that the new info/characterization bumps up a few stats here and there, and down here and there in comparison to his levels, say, as statted in the Corporate Sector sourcebook...
Forceally wrote:
I think Han's stats need to be looked at again, and I mean beyond the suggestions that have already been mentioned. He already has official stats as of the Battle of Yavin listed in the Star Wars Special Edition Sourcebook. You should consider consulting that and other such works as references when statting characters like Han for earlier events.

He stated before your post that he did consult WEG sources.

Forceally wrote:
You can't go higher than what has been statted out as of the Battle of Yavin.

That's a boldly restrictive imperative for a forum with guidelines that oppose this line of thinking. Please revisit the guidelines. An inherent superiority of RAW is not recognized here and statements expressing that sentiment as an objective fact are not appreciated. Good positive members have quit this forum because of unmoderated statements along these lines being expressed as a criticism of their work. He can "go higher than what has been statted" at his whim, and should do so when appropriate.

Forceally wrote:

The EU, now called Legends, is a separate universe from the current Canon universe.

The EU is based on the first six Star Wars films (an expansion of them). WEG Star Wars fluff is a part of the EU, but the official canon policy since there first was one (in the early 90s) clearly established that game stats were not canon. Game stats have never been canon in either universe.

The current Canon universe is also based on the original six films. The new films are based on the old films, and all the new publications are as well. Effectively an "EU2" it does also get the benefit of inspiration from the first EU. That however does not make Legends materials "official" sources for Canon works, or even fan works based on Canon works using the old D6 system.

Yes, this website is dedicated to a game whose fluff became an official part of the first EU. But most of us here are well-rounded Star Wars fans. We are not all grognards that ignore everything in the franchise after WEG lost the Star Wars license in 1998. I can safely speak for myself and many others here in saying that I am a modern Star Wars fan who still plays WEG-based Star Wars D6 because WotC SW and FFG SW suck. This website embraces a belief WEG Star Wars D6 is inherently superior to all other game systems, but that does not and will never mean that the stats in the 1997 Special Edition Sourcebook automatically trump fan D6 interpretation of what we see Han do on the screen in a 2018 live action film. I mean, it can for you, but it doesn't and won't for everyone. The makers of Special Edition Sourcebook had no foreknowledge of the Disney sale, the new canon, or the Solo film.

Star Wars has the canon universe, the legends universe, and a diverse multiverse fan universes/multiverses. None of these universes are objectively better than any others. For your own SW universe, you are free to give Han whatever stats you want.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Whill, for your post above! It is very much appreciated.

On a celebratory note, here is a belated HALLOWEEN entry, Cloud City's *other* purveyor of sweets.

R4-BOO18
Type: Mascot / Modified Industrial Automaton R4 Astromech Droid

DEXTERITY 2D
Manipulator arms 3D, manipulator arms: serving pincher 5D, rolling 3D
KNOWLEDGE 2D
Bureaucracy: dispenser/vendor logistics 4D,
cultures: Cloud City candy preferences 5D
MECHANICAL 3D
Machinery operation: food service equipment 4D
PERCEPTION 2D
Search 3D, search: beings with sweet tooth 4D+1
STRENGTH 2D
TECHNICAL 3D

Computer programming/repair 4D, droid repair 4D,
equipment repair 4D, security 4D

Equipped With:
    3 fungible tool mounts: 4 appendages total; 1 permanently converted to serving pincher.

3 legs with motorized treads: Center leg is retractable.

Burtt acoustic signaller

Cargo compartment: 20 cm x 8 cm; capable of 8 kilograms of internal storage. (Filled with candy.)

Durasteel shell: +1D to Strength to resist physical damage — often inflicted by excited tourists and their children.

Herner optical holographic projector

Hi-power recharge coupling and quick-release fuel system latch: Allows for recharge to full power in half the standard time, but often incurs sudden energy crash after initial "rush" of excess electrical power.

Hydraulic ambulatory strut shafts with accentuating couplers: Purported to add increased range of movement and "expressiveness" to customer-facing serving duties. (Claim is unsubstantiated.)

Internal comlink

Primary photoreceptor and radar/infrared eye: +1D to search to detect/discern movement; can see in darkness up to 30 meters.

Serving pincher: +1D to lifting; mounted atop angular, conical dome.

System lubricant filter reservoir: +1D to any stamina rolls required to resist servo fatigue/lock between oil baths.

System ventilation and heat exhaust ports

Move: 8
Size: Over 1 meter tall

Capsule: Courier droids were used to relay information (or items) from place to place, in lieu of either physical or comm-dependent networks. Often repurposed astromechs, courier droids frequently featured special markings to differentiate them from other astro droids of similar make and model.

One such courier was R4-BOO18. Having long gone without a memory wipe, R4-BOO18 was already regarded as a “personable” astromech. Once reprogrammed for food service duty, the droid became dedicated to serving the people of the mining colony of Cloud City.

After a lucrative promotional agreement with a local candy manufacturer was negotiated (ie: won in a game of Sabacc) by Cloud City's Baron Administrator, R4-BOO18 was painted to match the color scheme of the company's best-selling item, in a celebratory, flamboyant flourish for which the gambler-turned-entrepreneur was well known. And so, the droid became a kind of product mascot. Because of this, R4-BOO18 proved to be very popular with the younglings of Cloud City.

R4-BOO18 was also often seen in the company of Willrow Hood, usually in the later months of each year. Some Cloud City residents claimed that the two had bonded over a mutual affection for confections.

Sources: Star Wars: Droid Factory: R4-BOO18 2018 Disney theme park Halloween exclusive action figure. Stock R4 stats: Arms and Equipment Guide (p.49). Stats and original capsule text by Telsij. Introductory paragraph of capsule adapted from Courier Droid entry in http://starwars.com databank. Image: Star Wars: Droid Factory: R4-BOO18 toy packaging.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RALAKILI
Type: Loathsome Rascal

A Quote: "I'm gonna flip your switch!"

DEXTERITY 2D+2
Dodge 3D, melee combat 3D
KNOWLEDGE 2D+2
Business: droid pit fighting 5D+2, intimidation 3D+2, intimidation: droids 5D+2,
planetary systems 4D, streetwise 3D+2, streetwise: underground droid fighting circuit 6D+1,
survival 3D, value 3D+2, value: droids 5D+2
MECHANICAL 3D+1
PERCEPTION 2D+2

Bargain 4D, con 3D+2, hide 4D, gambling 3D, gambling: droid pit fighting 6D
STRENGTH 3D
TECHNICAL 3D+2

Armor repair 4D, blaster repair 4D, computer programming/repair 4D, droid programming 4D+2,
droid repair 5D+2, droid repair: pit fighting customization/modification 6D+2, equipment repair:
melee weapon repair 5D, security 4D

Species: Human
Height: 1.69 meters

Dark Side Points: 2
Character Points: 6
Move: 10

Story Factors:
    Cruelty: Although Ralakili’s sadism is directed most overtly toward droids, he is an otherwise cruel individual as well. Lodge proprietor Tibbs tolerates Ralakili as long as the former continues to receive his cut of the droid fighting ring’s profits, but overnight bartender “Midnight” warns others to keep away from Ralakili whenever possible.

Hatred of Droids: Hatred of Droids: Ever since his homeplanet was ravaged by General Grievous and Separatist armies during the Clone Wars, Ralakili had fostered a hatred for droids. Ralakili delights in demolishing droids in the fighting pits he runs, and in administering zaps of electronic pain to them via the “Owner” units linked to the restraining bolts on mechanicals fated to fighting in the pits. If Ralakili encounters a droid Player Character, or a droid affiliated with the PCs, he will not shy away from expressing open hostilities.

Capsule: The Man Who Hated Droids

“Ralakili runs the droid pits, and trust me, friend — you want to keep away from him. He’s got a mean streak like no other. I hear his planet got torched by Separatists, back in the droid war, and that’s why he hates mechanicals so much. Lots of my neighbors back on Corellia felt the same way, but Ralakili takes it way too far. The droid war was a long time ago, and the droids in Ralakili’s pits had nothing to do with it. Plus, if you’re angry about something a droid did, you blame the programmer, not the mechanical.

Anyway, Ralakili paid Sansizia Chreet — she’s one of the droid trainers — to wire up restraining bolts with remote triggers activated by that unit he carries around with him. Every droid sent to the pits gets one, and with a click of a button Ralakili can give them a shock. Even when there isn’t a fight going on, you’ll catch Ralakili pushing that button, just because he can.

Tibbs doesn’t care, as long as he gets his cut of the betting. But I do. The galaxy’s a hard enough place as it is without people being cruel. Elthree swore that one day she’d get that remote away from Ralakili, wire him up, and see how he liked it. I’m not proud of saying it, but sometimes I wish she had.”

- As retold by “Midnight”, overnight bartender at the Lodge on Vandor (Tales From Vandor by Jason Fry)

Equipment: Assortment of droid parts and melee weaponry, droid pit fighting arena (located in the Lodge on Vandor, in alcove ajoining exposed mountain wall), leather utility vest, “owner” units (droid callers modified to electronically shock droids by remote via their restraining bolts; 2D-4D stun/ionization damage, depending upon desired setting; if outfitted with linked restraining bolt, droid must also obey commands issued via “owner” unit), spare protocol droid hand, tools, tool belt (with protocol droid’s abdominal recharge coupling plate as buckle).

Sources: Tales from Vandor book, Solo: A Star Wars Story film, and Solo: A Star Wars Story: The Official Guide (p.86). Stats by Telsij. Capsule text: Tales from Vandor (book pages are unnumbered).
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij (or anyone else who has it), how is Tales from Vandor? Is it cool?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Hey Whill, it is, and it's a *very* quick read. I picked it up to flesh out the minor Vandor characters, but it's otherwise interesting/fun on its own. All told from the POV of the Lodge's overnight bartender, written in a conversational tone of spinning a few yarns to you as though you were a customer of his. It's not unlike the previous "journal of" books in terms of layout and presentation, where you get fold outs of physical documents, say, Midnight (the bartender's) passport / emigration papers, a "Droids Rights" flyer, etc.

You get the bartender's backstory and some additional info (though really just for flavor, no revelations per se) on the movie's main cast, along with info about several of the background characters -- and a "re-canonization" of several EU elements: L3-37 is retconned as being "Vuffi" as the Lando novels were already established as being tales Lando told, Dash Rendar is reintroduced in passing, and Bollux from the Han Solo novels in reintroduced in earnest. Overall, I enjoyed.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
Whill wrote:

Hey Whill, it is, and it's a *very* quick read. I picked it up to flesh out the minor Vandor characters, but it's otherwise interesting/fun on its own. All told from the POV of the Lodge's overnight bartender, written in a conversational tone of spinning a few yarns to you as though you were a customer of his. It's not unlike the previous "journal of" books in terms of layout and presentation, where you get fold outs of physical documents, say, Midnight (the bartender's) passport / emigration papers, a "Droids Rights" flyer, etc.

You get the bartender's backstory and some additional info (though really just for flavor, no revelations per se) on the movie's main cast, along with info about several of the background characters -- and a "re-canonization" of several EU elements: L3-37 is retconned as being "Vuffi" as the Lando novels were already established as being tales Lando told, Dash Rendar is reintroduced in passing, and Bollux from the Han Solo novels in reintroduced in earnest. Overall, I enjoyed.

Thanks. I'll try to preview it at Barnes & Noble but I've added it to my tentative Christmas list.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of several characters I was really charmed by in the Star Wars Resistance animated series: stats and write-up for OPEEPIT, along with species stats for the FRIGOSIANS, who first appeared in The Force Awakens and TFA-related print!

OPEEPIT
Type: Unsung Janitor

DEXTERITY 2D
KNOWLEDGE 2D

Survival 2D+2, survival: Colossus refueling platform 4D
MECHANICAL 2D
Machinery operation 3D, machinery operation: floor polisher/scrubber 6D
PERCEPTION 2D+2
Search 3D+2, search: dirt/grime 4D+2
STRENGTH 1D+2
Cleaning 5D, lifting 2D, stamina 2D+2, stamina: standing/walking 4D+2
TECHNICAL 2D+2
Equipment repair 3D+2, equipment repair: floor polisher 5D, sanitation 5D+2

Species: Frigosian
Character Points: 1
Move: 7

Equipment: Breath mask, goggles (angle of lense-frames gives appearance of perpetual frown), cybernetic hand-clamps (+1D to Strength-based skill checks that require the use of his hands), gray maintenance worker’s cap and uniform, trusty floor buffer/polisher/scrubber (+3D to cleaning smooth surfaces; skill: machinery operation: floor polisher; custom-built for Opeepit: Easy difficulty for Frigosian use, one difficulty level higher for all other users).

Species Special Abilities:
    Atmospheric Dependence: Frigosians require the use of breathing apparatuses to survive in atmospheric conditions different than that of Tansyl 5, including Type I environments. Each round that a Frigosian breathes foreign atmosphere without the aid of a breathing apparatus, he must make a Moderate stamina check. If the Frigosian fails that check, he begins to suffocate. (If this happens, then no further stamina checks are required.) Roll the character’s Strength at the beginning of each subsequent round; if the total is less than the number of rounds since the character failed the check, the character dies.

Cybernetic Hands/Tools: Although the explanation for why their forelimbs are cybernetic is unclear, Frigosians typically possess cybernetic clamps for hands, or wrist-mounts upon that allow them to switch out their clamps for tools. In game terms, at character creation, the player may select one manually-dependent Technical skill — such as first aid, security or a type of repair — or three related Tech specializations, and upon GM approval, the Frigosian character may add a +1D bonus to the selected skill or specializations when using that tool attachment. The effectiveness of the tools-attachments themselves may be improved, to a maximum of +1D+2 bonus, per existing equipment modification rules. If no specific skills or additional tool attachments are chosen, the default bonus granted by basic Frigosian hand-clamps is +1D toward Strength-based tasks that require the use of their hands.

Language Limitation: Whether due to their physiology or only to cultural preference, Frigosians either cannot or simply do not speak Basic. They communicate exclusively in their own language — a chittering, warbling one comprised of shrill chirps and squawks. Frigosians are capable of understanding Basic perfectly well however.

Light Sensitivity: As a nocturnal species, Frigosians are most comfortable in darker conditions, and during the hours after suns have set — typically wearing heavy goggles to protect their sensitive eyes from the light. In game terms, Frigosians can see in low-light conditions (short of absolute darkness) without penalty. However, Frigosians suffer a -1D penalty to all visually-based tasks when in bright conditions without protective eyewear. In addition, without protection their sensitive eyes can suffer lasting damage. For every round that a Frigosian’s eyes are subjected to harsh lightning without protective eyewear, he must make an Easy Strength check. Failed checks indicate that the Frigosian suffers ocular damage, with results/effects determined as per standard combat/injury rules.

Massive Maw: Frigosians have a surprisingly large mouth concealed beneath their fur — a mouth that is filled with rows of sharp teeth. (So startling was this fact to fugitive thief Ryn Biggleston, that she thought she might be swallowed whole by one of the Frigosian cryptosurgeons she encountered at Maz Kanata’s castle). In game terms, Frigosians gain a +1D bonus toward the success of their bite attacks and +2D bonus to damage. In addition, if an opponent is not familiar with this aspect of Frigosian physiology — then the Frigosian also gains a +1D bonus toward determining surprise for bite attack ambushes.

Capsule: The Colossus platform was home to hotshot pilots, brilliant mechanics, and many hardworking alien species — but one humble maintenance worker went about his business, largely unnoticed. A seemingly solitary figure found walking the corridors, pushing his trusty customized polisher, keeping the floors spotless, the Frigosian known as Opeepit was the only janitor on the Colossus.

Short by galactic standards and covered in a thick layer of yellowish fur like his fellow Frigosians, Opeepit’s dome-shaped head was as wide as were his shoulders. And to compensate for the atmospheric differences between the station’s seaborn atmosphere and that of his homeworld Tansyl 5, Opeepit wore the rounded metal breathing apparatuses that were typical of his species, right where a humanoid’s nose would be.

And though the tilt of his protective goggles gave him a perpetually cranky appearance — perhaps subtly reinforcing an unspoken, inner frustration whenever anyone else made a mess — Opeepit appeared outwardly unperturbed, remaining diligent and dedicated to his custodial duties.

Sources: Star Wars: Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away: Volume 1: Aliens: "Face of Evil" short story, Star Wars: the Force Awakens film, Star Wars: Resistance animated series, http://starwars.com and Star Wars Alien Archive (UK edition, p. 128).

Capsule text adapted from www.starwars.com/news/buckets-list-extra-fuel-for-the-fire-star-wars-resistance, www.starwars.com/databank/opeepit, Star Wars: Face of Evil short story, and www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-resistance-pumpkin-halloween. Stats by Telsij.

FRIGOSIAN
Homeworld: Tansyl 5

Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY: 1D/3D+2
KNOWLEDGE: 1D+2/4D
MECHANICAL: 1D/4D
PERCEPTION: 2D/4D+1
STRENGTH: 1D/3D
TECHNICAL: 2D/4D+1

Move: 7/9
Size: 1.0-1.4 meters tall on average

Species Special Abilities:
    Atmospheric Dependence: Frigosians require the use of breathing apparatuses to survive in atmospheric conditions different than that of Tansyl 5, including Type I environments. Each round that a Frigosian breathes foreign atmosphere without the aid of a breathing apparatus, he must make a Moderate stamina check. If the Frigosian fails that check, he begins to suffocate. (If this happens, then no further stamina checks are required.) Roll the character’s Strength at the beginning of each subsequent round; if the total is less than the number of rounds since the character failed the check, the character dies.

Cybernetic Hands/Tools: Although the explanation for why their forelimbs are cybernetic is unclear, Frigosians typically possess cybernetic clamps for hands, or wrist-mounts upon that allow them to switch out their clamps for tools. In game terms, at character creation, the player may select one manually-dependent Technical skill — such as first aid, security or a type of repair — or three related Tech specializations, and upon GM approval, the Frigosian character may add a +1D bonus to the selected skill or specializations when using that tool attachment. The effectiveness of the tools-attachments themselves may be improved, to a maximum of +1D+2 bonus, per existing equipment modification rules. If no specific skills or additional tool attachments are chosen, the default bonus granted by basic Frigosian hand-clamps is +1D toward Strength-based tasks that require the use of their hands.

Language Limitation: Whether due to their physiology or only to cultural preference, Frigosians either cannot or simply do not speak Basic. They communicate exclusively in their own language — a chittering, warbling one comprised of shrill chirps and squawks. Frigosians are capable of understanding Basic perfectly well however.

Light Sensitivity: As a nocturnal species, Frigosians are most comfortable in darker conditions, and during the hours after suns have set — typically wearing heavy goggles to protect their sensitive eyes from the light. In game terms, Frigosians can see in low-light conditions (short of absolute darkness) without penalty. However, Frigosians suffer a -1D penalty to all visually-based tasks when in bright conditions without protective eyewear. In addition, without protection their sensitive eyes can suffer lasting damage. For every round that a Frigosian’s eyes are subjected to harsh lightning without protective eyewear, he must make an Easy Strength check. Failed checks indicate that the Frigosian suffers ocular damage, with results/effects determined as per standard combat/injury rules.

Massive Maw: Frigosians have a surprisingly large mouth concealed beneath their fur — a mouth that is filled with rows of sharp teeth. (So startling was this fact to fugitive thief Ryn Biggleston, that she thought she might be swallowed whole by one of the Frigosian cryptosurgeons she encountered at Maz Kanata’s castle). In game terms, Frigosians gain a +1D bonus toward the success of their bite attacks and +2D bonus to damage. In addition, if an opponent is not familiar with this aspect of Frigosian physiology — then the Frigosian also gains a +1D bonus toward determining surprise for bite attack ambushes.

Capsule: Frigosians were a small, clever species with dome-shaped heads and are covered in yellow fur. They had large mouths with sharp teeth and their eyes are so sensitive that they had to wear protective goggles on certain planets. The atmosphere on certain planets was so different from that of Tansyl 5 that Frigosians had to wear breathing apparatuses to survive.

Frigosians found in the galaxy include Thromba and Laparo, cryptosurgeons who worked on Takodana offering cosmetic procedures to patrons of Maz's castle, and were very popular with spacers and smugglers who needed to disappear. Opeepit was (apparently) the sole janitor on the Colossus refueling station.

Sources: Star Wars: Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away: Volume 1: Aliens: "Face of Evil" short story, Star Wars: the Force Awakens film, Star Wars: Resistance animated series, http://starwars.com and Star Wars Alien Archive (UK edition, p. 128), https://www.starwars.com/news/buckets-list-extra-fuel-for-the-fire-star-wars-resistance, https://www.starwars.com/databank/opeepit, https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-resistance-pumpkin-halloween, and Star Wars Alien Archive (UK edition, p. 128). Species capsule text adapted from Star Wars Alien Archive (UK edition, p. 128). Stats by Telsij.

Last edited by Telsij on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 9 of 23

Jump to: