The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

'1' on the Wild Die
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> '1' on the Wild Die Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: '1' on the Wild Die Reply with quote

Argentsaber wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I found that players were OK with it if the result was random rather than the thought of me picking on them with a complication.

I like to involve the entire group in determining what the complication is rather than rolling, but it seems to work well. Typically, I let things go with a fairly minor complication unless the action was a bit outrageous anyway.

A minor complication can lead to a big problem, though. Take Han's twig snap. That's a minor complication. A twig breaks when he steps on it, alerting the Scout Trooper.

But...alerting the Scout trooper means alerting them all--and two get away on their speederbikes, speeding ahead to warn THE ENTIRE LEGION OF THE EMPEROR'S BEST TROOPS GUARDING THE SHIELD GENERATOR.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: '1' on the Wild Die Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Argentsaber wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I found that players were OK with it if the result was random rather than the thought of me picking on them with a complication.

I like to involve the entire group in determining what the complication is rather than rolling, but it seems to work well. Typically, I let things go with a fairly minor complication unless the action was a bit outrageous anyway.

A minor complication can lead to a big problem, though. Take Han's twig snap. That's a minor complication. A twig breaks when he steps on it, alerting the Scout Trooper.

But...alerting the Scout trooper means alerting them all--and two get away on their speederbikes, speeding ahead to warn THE ENTIRE LEGION OF THE EMPEROR'S BEST TROOPS GUARDING THE SHIELD GENERATOR.

But they weren't any good really.......ok forgot about our heroes plot armor
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rule of thumb is to always subtract the highest die, then consider the results:

If "minus highest" is still a success, then they get a "Yes, but"... a success but a complication. Luke figuring out how to lock the door, but missing that it will also prevent them from extending the bridge.

If minus highest is a failure, but would've succeeded with that die? Simple failure.

If the full value wouldn't have succeeded anyway, then you get a failure plus a complication... Han trying to hotwire the door on Endor's moon, but accidentally closing the door that's already opened.
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
My rule of thumb is to always subtract the highest die, then consider the results:

If "minus highest" is still a success, then they get a "Yes, but"... a success but a complication. Luke figuring out how to lock the door, but missing that it will also prevent them from extending the bridge.

If minus highest is a failure, but would've succeeded with that die? Simple failure.

If the full value wouldn't have succeeded anyway, then you get a failure plus a complication... Han trying to hotwire the door on Endor's moon, but accidentally closing the door that's already opened.

I do like this version.

My post above is in use with a game populated by middle aged RPG veterans who are fully willing to screw themselves over for the sake of the story (and who incidentally trust that I will figure a way to let the story continue despite the gaff). Your mileage may vary.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentsaber wrote:
My post above is in use with a game populated by middle aged RPG veterans who are fully willing to screw themselves over for the sake of the story (and who incidentally trust that I will figure a way to let the story continue despite the gaff). Your mileage may vary.

You play with true roleplayers. You are in an enviable position.
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Argentsaber wrote:

Absolutely! It's possible to get closer to this with a more average group though.. adjusting incentives and building trust a bit at a time. Taking time as a DM to ask players to help craft the story when possible and allowing them to world build some (with oversight of course) helps. It kind of feels like a crunchier version of the newer "indie games" kind of thing, though I have done this on and off for decades. I'll admit it's rough with a certain type of player though.. anyone coming directly from AD&D will get a nose bleed trying to figure it out. Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Argentsaber wrote:

You lucky bugger.. I'd love to play with gamers like that!
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the camp of "Take away the highest die as well as the Wild Die" if a 1 is rolled.

On occasion, but not always, if they succeed anyway, I let the success stand. If they fail the roll, I let them fail. And if the roll was significantly affected and was a failure, I may through a complication into the mix. I never do anything bad to them, but I may make things a bit more complicated due to the terrible failure.

At the same time, I always give my players the option of using Character Points to augment their roll before they announce the total to me. So if they rolled a 1 on the Wild on a 3D roll, and ended up with a total of 2 or so, they can opt to spend a CP or two and roll those, adding to the total, before they announce their final roll. But if they say "Oh man, I got a 2" or some such, I take that as their final total. So my players learned not to blurt out their total right away until they assessed whether they should roll extra dice with CPs or just to announce the total and take the consequences.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do most people "get it wrong" or do they choose to change the rules? Roleplaying gamers are usually inclined towards customization.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like giving my bad guys reinforcements on a wild die complication. It makes the situation more tense without having everything boil down to slap-stick comedy. Slips, trips, and falls get old for players. I also enjoy doing success with complications. Like a character jumping between buildings who ends up hitting a weak spot and the floor gives out from under him and he ends up in someone's living room. The chase is still on, but now we've added some destruction of property if he gets caught!
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized I may need to qualify my statements above. I run a modified first edition game. We only use the wild die in situations where there are a lot of unusual distractions or general chaos. Basically every roll in a battlefield situation, but not in an alleyway firefight. On the other hand, someone trying to slice a door lock in said alley would probably roll wild while those in the gun fight wouldn't.

I also have a rule that any time a character simply couldn't meet the target number by virtue of not having a high enough die pool they may "go for broke," and roll with a wild die where a 1 is always a complication.
Ashikaider
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see using 1 on the wild die to model a house rule that was in a D20 Star Wars I played in for d6 Star Wars. The original rule was that if someone had rolled a '1' on an attack roll with a blaster, the power pack would be drained. That way we didn't have to track ammo, and it became a very minor complication to have to change packs in the blaster.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashikaider wrote:
I could see using 1 on the wild die to model a house rule that was in a D20 Star Wars I played in for d6 Star Wars. The original rule was that if someone had rolled a '1' on an attack roll with a blaster, the power pack would be drained. That way we didn't have to track ammo, and it became a very minor complication to have to change packs in the blaster.

That could go either way. If you need to make a clutch shot and your blaster's empty, someone's about to have a really bad day. Othewise, it could be just a minor inconvenience.

We use the Wild Die and sometimes nothing happens immediately, if at all, but I always note 1's & 6's for each player as several minor complications have led to 'interesting times'. Mostly I just go with the story at the moment and try not to overly penalize the players if the Force isn't strong with them at that moment. Smile
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a long time player in one of my games who had exceedingly horrible dice rolls. Eventually, to level the playing field with her fellow players, she got an additional character point for every 1 on the wild die she suffered, since she often had to burn through her CPs to do even moderate tasks.
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My default is the 'take the 1 and highest' unless I or the player have a good complication idea...

Yes, the player!

My player's LOVE ruining their own day and always come up with something a lot more fun than I could.
Putting ownership of the problem in the players hands takes the sting out of it.

Importantly, a 'complication' doesn't have to be immediate or even penalise the player directly, it could add a further 'complication' to the scenario or environment... Or it's something that comes up later...

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: