The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Noob questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Noob questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Noob questions Reply with quote

Ok, so, I've never played or run the game, outside of currently participating in a PbP where all I really have to do is call out general actions (I shoot at the snowtrooper. I hide behind the wreckage of the snowspeeder and bandage my wound.). It doesn't require a deeper understanding of the game.

That said, in the not-too-distant future, I'll be (hopefully) having folks over to play some D6 Star Wars. We'll primarily be playing AD&D, I think, but I do want to work in some Star Wars as well at some point.

With that in mind, I expect we'll play 1E primarily, maybe the 2E REUP.

Can anyone recommend good starting tips? I expect that I'll likely end up GMing, since I'll be the one with more familiarity with the system (I don't think anyone else owns the books yet). I have some ideas for homebrew campaigns, but I've literally never GMed anything before, and starting off with a homebrew seems......ambitious. Might do some modules instead. I own copies of Starfall and maybe a couple of others. I can pick some up, too. I'd like to grab Strike Force Shantipole at some point. Any other recommendations?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes starting off with a canned adventure can help ease the burden of a new GM and of new players, too.

Starfall, I think would be a great starting adventure, since the players all start off in jail together, it sticks them together in an impossible situation. The ship comes under attack and they have to get off of it before the ship explodes.

It takes care of the how they got together bit, so you don't have some awkward get to know you session, they get dropped right into the action.

Another bonus with canned adventures, is that it takes a lot of the guesswork out of picking difficulty numbers. This is something that after a few gaming sessions, you should be pretty comfortable with, but doing it on the fly to start with will lead you looking stuff up.

Check the rancorpit library, there are a lot of useful tools that can help you. Print out a couple of the New Player Handouts, and one of the New Player Guides so that you have them there for quick reference. This should help save you from having to dig into the book at a lot of the frequently asked questions.

Remember the rule of thumb for the game, when in doubt, pick the closest skill or attribute you can think of, pick a difficulty number. If the skill roll is equal to or greater, they succeed.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! How's Tatooine Manhunt as a starter adventure? Are there any others that are particularly good to get folks started? I don't have a copy of the IAG, sadly.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried running Tatooine Manhunt for a 1st game, and it kind of fell flat. I think that it works better for a group that are already used to one another, and have strong ties to the Rebel Alliance.

If you look in the section of the library for the stuff written by Peter Schweighofer, check out the Limping Lady. It's free, and I've really enjoyed the other modules of his that I've done. I have not played that particular module, but it is set on Tatooine, and it also gives a good reason for the players to be sent back to do Tatooine Manhunt.
Desert Kris
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One great rule of thumb for keeping play moving, without when not sure about a rule, make a guess about how difficult the roll is and pick that number from the Difficulty chart, and have the player roll with the most likely skill.

Have a list of random names handy, for random characters the players might encounter.

There are starting adventure games in the core rulebooks; Rebel Breakout can be played out of the 1st edition, for example.

Good luck, hope it turns out fun for everybody!
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with running Rebel Breakout in the core rule book. Also limit or don't allow any multiple actions in a round. Doing that will keep thing fast and easier. And also any opponent (stormtroopers) that is wounded, consider taking them out of the action, makes it easier for first adventure characters.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great tips. The only idea I can add at this point is meld them together and run an intro like Rebel Breakout, except alter the ending so your players are captured. End the session there and for your next one, begin Starfall. Then you have a reason for the players to be in an Imperial brig and everyone has had an introduction to the game.
Lord Zash
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice!

If I can also add... I run Rebel Breakout (1st ed.) with 5 players in two sessions. It was rough because I didn't know the rules too much or the ins and outs of game mastering (I still don't) but some of the players loved it and they stuck to it. One thing, get less players! I didn't enjoy some moments, it got too crazy, too many people for few actions.

Tell them what to expect... it's going to be a bit rough, action, fast paced etc so everybody knows what they are in for.

Templates! They work a treat.... 7D each, template... character done.

Rebel Breakout is great because it gives you that SW feeling without having to put too much work etc. Once done, you can start working on backgrounds with them and figuring out a story for a longer campaign. Each player will give you their ideas and their inspiration from which you can pick leads to make a story. The players that don't give you anything in terms of background might not actually be really interested so discuss that with players before carrying on a longer story Smile
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tips here! I'm definitely going to keep this all in mind. And I need to really check out the library...
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for canned adventures, really Pirates of Praxear from the R&E book is REALLY good. It has a mix of stealth, fighting, chase scenes, and space combat to really sample the whole buffet of adventure elements. Plus, if you're fast on your feet, the setting has enough flexibility to never play the same way twice.

Seriously, I've run it like six times, and not once has hit played out quite the same way. I think my wife has been a player in all six iterations. Though I may change an element or two each time.

The last time I told the group that Genderal Madine's nephew was captured by the pirates and is being held for ransom. One of the party's objectives, was the rescue the wounded Lieutenant. My wife said that she didn't want to do that adventure another time. She'd done it too many times. I asked her, "And hasn't it been different and fun each time?" She replied that it was, but she really didn't want to do it. Then I slipped her a piece of paper with her equipment on it. On the paper I also wrote, "You are a deep-cover Imperial operative. Make sure the hostage DIES. Don't blow your cover.

Me: Are we good?
Her: Eyup. I'm good.

Best run through ever.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard is it to convert Pirates of Praxear to 1E?
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty easy, I would think. The system didn't change that much and if you need speed codes for ships or speeders, just run the 2E conversion table in reverse.
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run both Tatooine Manhunt (5 six-hour sessions) and Rebel Breakout (1 session) for players new to roleplaying. Both were GREAT! But I made some changes here and there to make them run more in my gming style.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: