The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Holiday Special - Happy Life Day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Holiday Special - Happy Life Day! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It is finished." We watched it, with the original commercials even. I remembered Malla cooking while watching a cooking program, but watching the HS brought back no other memories or even a vague sense of familiarity with anything else besides what I mentioned in the OP. I must have pushed this out of my mind since it was so horrible. But maybe my memory is bad in general and the Star Wars Storybook kept the movie's story and imagery alive in my memory, because the original SW was pretty clear in my memory by TESB, while the HS was almost completely forgotten by then. And in the HS I see that Han only pushed one stormtrooper off the ledge. I guess I had misremembered it as being multiple stormtroopers because I was trying to improve on what little action was there. A couple of the commercials seemed vaguely familiar, but of course that is probably from seeing them on TV multiple times back them.

Well, my son and I had a few laughs, but it was as dreadful as expected. At the end of it, he said, How can they even call this Star Wars?! Hands down, the best part of the entire show was the Jefferson Starship segment. I also kinda liked seeing all the aliens in the cantina sequence. Right now I'm thinking I'm good for "life" on watching this.

Happy Life Day.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Holiday Special Reply with quote

Pel wrote:

I do see the Rifftrax version is on sale, though...

Now that I might do.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Holiday Special Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
I do see the Rifftrax version is on sale, though...

For sale? Did Lucasfilm officially license Rifftrax to make this? If not, I don't know how they can sell it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, they just sell the track where they make fun of a film. That might be protected as parody or commentary and therefore not needing a license.

EDIT WHoops, no, I'm wrong. They sell the video with the track making fun of it. I have no idea how they get by that legally unless LFL just doesn't even want to aknowledge it enough to send them a C&D.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Holiday Special was, very very briefly, available on DVD, roughly at around the same time they released the 2 Ewok movies and the version of the DVDs with both the Special Editions and the original releases (I want to say somewhere around 2005ish). It was pulled off the shelves at the Walmart I saw it in within a week of seeing it. Almost all of the listings you will find now are unofficial, bootlegged, or imported (bootlegged).

If you must see it, it is on youtube in it's entirety... not sure if a link would be frowned on or not as it is obviously an unofficial upload.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Hands down, the best part of the entire show was the Jefferson Starship segment.

That statement alone tells you how terrible it is. I absolutely despise Jefferson Airplane/Starship/Whatever-the-frak-they're-calling-themselves-now. I mean, Holy Jeebus, they're almost as bad as The Song That Must Not Be Named.

Excuse me for a moment, please.

*runs to the bathroom and barfs up a kidney*
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing There really isn't a redeeming quality to that show. Even the introduction of Boba Fett was kind of lame
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
The Holiday Special was, very very briefly, available on DVD, roughly at around the same time they released the 2 Ewok movies and the version of the DVDs with both the Special Editions and the original releases (I want to say somewhere around 2005ish). It was pulled off the shelves at the Walmart I saw it in within a week of seeing it.

I bought that Ewok TV movies DVD (It was my son's first live action Star Wars), but I've never heard of this HS release that got pulled until now. How could some company think they had permission to produce DVDs and then oops they don't, sorry. Very weird.

Do you know for sure they pulled it, or did they maybe just sell all the copied they had in a few days? I hate Walmart but back on the day Thor: Ragnarok came out my son had a cub scout meeting which put a damper in our original plans so I dropped him off and went to Walmart to buy it because it was close and I could get back to the meeting in time. I found a big display for it but all the blu-ray copies were missing. I thought maybe they just still had them in the back so I found an employee and he said the display was completely stocked full that morning but one ebayer came in and bought the entire stock in a single purchase. So Walmart can be fully stocked in a video and have none the next day. And I sincerely doubt there was a huge display of Holiday Specials so it is not unreasonable that they were gone within a week. Still weird that I never knew about it being briefly released though.

KageRyu wrote:
If you must see it, it is on youtube in it's entirety... not sure if a link would be frowned on or not as it is obviously an unofficial upload.

We are not dealing with selling or sharing unlicensed copies. I don't think it is a big deal that it is viewable for free, so links wouldn't be a big deal, but they are completely unnecessary. If you just go to YouTube and search for it, several uploads of it come right up. And last week I had found a video that said high quality and added that to my watch later queue, and then when I pulled it up on my TV Saturday it said that copy had been pulled for copyright. However several other (non-high-quality) versions were still there available for viewing so I selected one and we watched that. So maybe they are only going after high quality versions?

Sutehp wrote:
I absolutely despise Jefferson Airplane/Starship/Whatever-the-frak-they're-calling-themselves-now.

I'm not a fan, but I am a classic rock aficionado and have come across a few songs I like. The current numbers are: J Airplane = 3 songs, J Starship = 2 songs, and Starship = 0 songs. That's including the HS JS song which they did release as a single and put their subsequent album release. But yes, the JS sequence (a few minutes) being the best part of the over 1.5 hour show is very telling at how bad the HS is.

Pel wrote:
Laughing There really isn't a redeeming quality to that show. Even the introduction of Boba Fett was kind of lame

No, there definitely is no redeeming aspect of the show. It's an abomination and shouldn't exist. Yes, the introduction of Boba Fett was lame, but then again Boba Fett was pretty lame in the SW sequels too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though most of us agree that the HOLLIDAY SPECIAL was more than a little silly, we should not forget how important the "movie" really is.
It gave us Boba Fett, Chewbacca's family ( which is now canon) and more

bu yes it still silly
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Though most of us agree that the HOLLIDAY SPECIAL was more than a little silly, we should not forget how important the "movie" really is.
It gave us Boba Fett, Chewbacca's family ( which is now canon) and more

bu yes it still silly

I like that Chewbacca has a family, but visually the Wookiee suits were horribly low budget. And damn, Itchy is just one ugly Wookiee. I noticed that Itchy's right arm is lame and just hangs at his side never doing anything. But of course the real-world reason is that the actor's right arm was operating Itchy's mouth, making Itchy a weird muppet-Wookiee, which is why his mouth and face are shaped like that are to give him that ugly mug.

And TESB was well into production when the HS was made, so let's not put the repulsor-cart before the bantha. Boba Fett was put into the HS animated sequence because he was already going to be in TESB. Just like the year after the HS, I got the Boba Fett action figure from a mail-in offer, to again promote TESB. Fett would have still been in TESB even if there was no HS or advance action figure.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I bought that Ewok TV movies DVD (It was my son's first live action Star Wars), but I've never heard of this HS release that got pulled until now. How could some company think they had permission to produce DVDs and then oops they don't, sorry. Very weird.

Do you know for sure they pulled it, or did they maybe just sell all the copied they had in a few days?

To be honest, I do not know. However the area I live in is economically and culturally depressed, I am doubtful enough people around here were/are fans and/or had the means to purchase so rapidly. It is not outside the realm of possibility. I also know, from direct firsthand experience on more than one occasion involving computer software, Walmart's sources are not always reputable (and I am reluctant to purchase DVD's whose packaging looks even remotely hinky to me, and will not buy software there anymore).

I will admit I assumed the copies were pulled because when it wasn't in the store I tried to look it up online from numerous sources and could not find an official release - even on Walmart's own site.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
I also know, from direct firsthand experience on more than one occasion involving computer software, Walmart's sources are not always reputable (and I am reluctant to purchase DVD's whose packaging looks even remotely hinky to me, and will not buy software there anymore).

I will admit I assumed the copies were pulled because when it wasn't in the store I tried to look it up online from numerous sources and could not find an official release - even on Walmart's own site.

I don't doubt that. I know from firsthand experience (an unfortunate 6 months in my life when I had to work there), that Wal-Mart is shady. You know those "Was - Now" price signs that make you think you are getting something on sale? I watched department heads just completely making up the "Was" price. And Wal-Mart being a huge recipient of corporate welfare while paying their employees so little they still have to get government assistance to live makes Wal-Mart literally an evil corporation. But I digress.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Save lives with Vader's theme! Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Pel wrote:
Stayin' Alive

Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees is a good one to know because its tempo is 103 bpm and 100 is what they say is ideal for performing CPR. Stayin' Alive can literally help someone stay alive!

I would be remiss for not mentioning on a Star Wars forum where CPR was brought up that Imperial March is an excellent guide to CPR because the tempo is 104 bpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYkwbW6vO1A
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
You know those "Was - Now" price signs that make you think you are getting something on sale? I watched department heads just completely making up the "Was" price.

It's defenders often cite its low prices without understanding how intentionally and successfully Wal Mart has gone about crafting the illusion of always having low prices.

I wish I had gotten this on a DVD even if it was a highly suspect Wal Mart copy! Still kicking myself for not buying DVD's of Droids and Willow.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Still kicking myself for not buying DVDs of Droids and Willow.

Good news. There is a new DVD edition of Willow coming out on January 29th for only $14.

https://www.amazon.com/WILLOW-Val-Kilmer/dp/B07JZB1WDX/
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: