The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starfall advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Starfall advice Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chord
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Starfall advice Reply with quote

So a group of friends and I have started paying SW REUP. I'm the GM and the last time I GM'd was in the 90s Shocked

So far we did a simple intro adventure. We have 6 players (pirate, bounty hunter, mechanic, retired imperial officer, and a quixotic jedi).

I want to run starfall as our first big adventure. Any recommendations? My players tend to just do crazy stuff that is not accounted for in adventures.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good way to keep the players on track with the Starfall adventure is to constantly remind them that they're on a sinking ship, have panels explode periodically, view ports crack, or maybe toxic fumes vent into corridors if your players try to take too much time deciding and discussing what to do. Large areas of the ship are exposed to space, which keeps player characters from doing too much exploration. This constant environmental hazard should be more than enough motivation for getting them moving.
Chord
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks great advice!

Should I use the little mini cutouts they provide for the final big battle?

Also I noticed that in our first adventure the stormtoopers can't seem to hit anything. Do they just suck at shooting people (like in the movies)?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think the mini cutouts will be helpful, then by all means. I tend to enjoy playing more in the theater of the mind, and having distances and such be more abstract concepts. I've found that sometimes with a map and minis, players can be so distracted with where their little guy is on the map, that they don't really pay attention to the game. But, this is just in my experience with D&D players.

If your Stormtroopers aren't providing enough of a challenge for your players, you can always give them skill boosts to make them more dangerous. I'll sometimes use the standard Imperial Army troopers armed with Stormtrooper gear to make them a little more challenging, or I use a fan made supplement of NPCs, using Clone Troopers in place of my Stormtroopers. But, the stats are meant to reflect what we see in the original 3 movies.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pit, Chord! Please let us know how the adventure goes.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

If your Stormtroopers aren't providing enough of a challenge for your players, you can always give them skill boosts to make them more dangerous. I'll sometimes use the standard Imperial Army troopers armed with Stormtrooper gear to make them a little more challenging, or I use a fan made supplement of NPCs, using Clone Troopers in place of my Stormtroopers. But, the stats are meant to reflect what we see in the original 3 movies.

Alternately you can have a group of storm troopers, be experienced, so don't suffer the -1 dex penalty from the armor...
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As pointed out above, keep them on their toes with things happening reminding them being on a sinking ship.
Also, keep a time track, real or just for show, to enhance the feeling of a count down to disaster..
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk about how the VSD Subjugator is a "sinking ship" reminds me of a line from the Firefly episode "Out of Gas" when the Serenity gets disabled (and running out of oxygen) in deep space and Mal decides to stay behind to wait for (a very unlikely chance of) rescue:

Quote:
INARA: Mal, you don't have to go down with the ship.

MAL: She's not going down; she's not going anywhere.

Now if the Subjugator was disabled and in a decaying orbit, that would be different. IMHO, I think that situation would qualify as "sinking." 8)
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, while not in a decaying orbit, it has had the self-destruct system activated. So, sinking ship - ship about to explode, same difference to me.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sinking, doomed, dead is dead.

If you want to toss at bit of problem solving at your players, play up the failing systems and areas open to space or flooded with radiation or toxic gas to block their path. You can also play around with artificial gravity and life support! The Poseidon Adventure is a decent inspiration if you skip ahead to the wave actually striking the ship.
Chord
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of ship failing story moments would you recommend?

I like the idea of using a timer!
Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
As pointed out above, keep them on their toes with things happening reminding them being on a sinking ship.
Also, keep a time track, real or just for show, to enhance the feeling of a count down to disaster..

I will agree time trackers are great, but only when the bad thing Does happen should it hit 0..

Pel wrote:
Yeah, sinking, doomed, dead is dead.

If you want to toss at bit of problem solving at your players, play up the failing systems and areas open to space or flooded with radiation or toxic gas to block their path. You can also play around with artificial gravity and life support! The Poseidon Adventure is a decent inspiration if you skip ahead to the wave actually striking the ship.

OOHH.. Loss of gravity, is a cool thing to hit players with.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chord wrote:

Very Happy

The timer is a great idea, but I'd save that one until the players discover the self destruct is ticking away. Maybe pause the countdown while they declare actions or for a brief sidebar, but otherwise keep it going for dramatic effect.

As for what else to throw at them, the adventure already covers most of what we mentioned, including one we forgot: utter darkness. Try navigating around a strange starship with no lights! Add in crazed droids and lurking Stormtroopers and your players are in a bit of a pickle. If they get lost at least they have Blissex with them to act as guide. Oh, and I believe the text mentions exploding panels and such if the players decide to loiter.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Chord wrote:

Very Happy

The timer is a great idea, but I'd save that one until the players discover the self destruct is ticking away. Maybe pause the countdown while they declare actions or for a brief sidebar, but otherwise keep it going for dramatic effect.

As for what else to throw at them, the adventure already covers most of what we mentioned, including one we forgot: utter darkness. Try navigating around a strange starship with no lights! Add in crazed droids and lurking Stormtroopers and your players are in a bit of a pickle. If they get lost at least they have Blissex with them to act as guide. Oh, and I believe the text mentions exploding panels and such if the players decide to loiter.

The 'timer' should be implied in the beginning, to create a sense of urgency. Just let the players see you take hidden notes and keep asking the players how much time they will spend on certain tasks. The players don't know why. I placed a red herring about some 'brass' coming. Together with the talk about Blissex being a SD designer this created paranoia about Vader or another Imperial force user arriving...
Chord
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice! It went well, I used a phone stopwatch to keep them in character and moving along. There was some grumbling about losing inventory from the bounty hunter but since this is only their third game they didn't have anything to lose.

The players loved the script!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: