The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tactical Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Tactical Combat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corkman321 wrote:
Good day! I just got done looking through some of this material (and joined the R.P.) and wanted to say that I'm going to try and incorporate some of this into our home game.

Welcome to the Pit!

Naaman wrote:
For some reason, your post count shows as 0.

I saw that. The post was originally triplicated but his post count was zero. I deleted two of the three and it still shows zero. I looked at his account in the admin panel and I can't see anything out of the ordinary. I don't know what's causing that. I'll be interested to see if the post count corrects itself after more posts.
Registration & Log-In Help
Naaman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
You know, what if you just make unarmed combat (i.e. no weapons at all) be a Stun weapon. Minimally armed (brass knuckles, standard knife) might upgrade this to lethal damage.

In a situation like this, Wookie Climbing Claws might simply serve to give wookies an option for lethal damage... and you can even then have a ruling on using the claws, that they are inappropriate to use on someone not armed (including other Wookies who are not bearing actual weapons).

Could be. But, there is a theme for this thread that implies we are talking about characters with a military skill set. Not every soldier is a world class martial artist, but every soldier is trained to kill with bare hands (even if at only the most basic level).

That being said, I would want to retain the potential for lethal damage via unarmed attacks. It occurs to me that melee weapons in general would need an overhaul in order to fit into this system. I may get around to this, but my next project will be lightsabers (a detailed system of building/designing lightsabers and using them in combat). From there, I may develop some usable concepts for melee combat.

I was thinking about the brawling damage thing and have come up with an idea.

There are a couple of ways it could go, so I'll just cover all of them.

We know it is possible to inflict real damage with bare hands/feet. But, in general, a weapon is preferred over fists/feet. But if we look at what is statistically most common, there are more untrained people than trained people.

Also, physical strength matters.

So, using humans as an example, what if you needed training in brawling to cause lethal (that is, wounded or higher) damage? So, 3D in brawling. But, since the training is so basic, you could impose a penalty on the damage roll (say -5) if the attacker chooses to cause lethal damage.

Then, at 4D (professional level) there is no more penalty. At 5D and up, you get a +1 bonus on damage for each full D above 4D.

However, there are some considerations. Suppose a human and a wampa got into a fight. The wampa isn't trained in brawling per se, but it has 7D in strength. Now, I don't particularly have a problem imposing a -5 penalty on the wampa's damage, as I feel its strenth attribute is more representative of it physical constitution than its martial skill. A similar issue arises with wookiees who have a strength of up to 6D. But it seems that lethal damage should be possible.

Perhaps an untrained character who rolls 10 over the attack difficulty should get lethal damage? This would facilitate naturally strong brutes being able to overpower their prey and still get a meal without a weapon, or perhaps a wookiee fighting a gaggle of ewoks and "Hulk smashing" them into oblivion.
Naaman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tactics Skill

Some uses for the tactics skill I have been mulling over.

Characters with the appropriate specialization can use other skills in special ways not normally covered by the skill in question.

Tactics: Close Quarters Battle

Compressed Ready:
Requirements: Blaster 3D, Tactics: Close Quarters Battle 3D

When wielding a blaster pistol, if the first action you declare in a round where both sides are surprised is an attack with your pistol, you gain a +1D bonus to your initiative roll.

Muzzle Thump:
Requirements: Blaster 4D, Tactics: Close Quarters Battle 4D

A character may use his blaster skill to make a melee attack against an opponent by jabbing the muzzle of his blaster rifle (or other long gun) at the target's body (typically the chest or face). Roll the blaster skill (or whatever specialization the character has that applies to the weapon in hand). Damage is Strength +3D, but can never be more serious than stunned. Once per round, a character may use this technique as a free action in conjunction with firing his blaster at the same or a different target.

Zipper Drill:
Requirements: Blaster 4D, Tactics: Close Quarters Battle 3D

When firing your blaster, after rolling damage, but before the result is determined, you may choose to fire an additional 1D+2 rounds of ammunition (this counts as an additional action) to add +1D to the damage roll you just rolled. Treat this extra die like a bonus die from spending a character point (it explodes on a 6).
Dredwulf60
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Tactics Skill

Muzzle Thump:
Requirements: Blaster 4D, Tactics: Close Quarters Battle 4D

A character may use his blaster skill to make a melee attack against an opponent by jabbing the muzzle of his blaster rifle (or other long gun) at the target's body (typically the chest or face). Roll the blaster skill (or whatever specialization the character has that applies to the weapon in hand). Damage is Strength +3D, but can never be more serious than stunned. Once per round, a character may use this technique as a free action in conjunction with firing his blaster at the same or a different target.

I'll be stealing this one.

The others I already have versions of.
Naaman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was but a young private fresh out of basic training when a special forces NCO taught me that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: