The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Inspiring Characters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Inspiring Characters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Inspiring Characters Reply with quote

I have a player who wants to inspire players, similar to a bard in D&D. I have tried making Con or Persuasion rolls depending on what he is attempting to do. I am wondering if perhaps a Force power would be more appropriate. Any ideas or suggestions?

I thought about:

Control, Sense and Alter
Inspire
Control Difficulty: Easy modified by proximity.
Sense Difficulty: Easy modified by proximity.
Alter Difficulty: Varies based on the number of targeted individuals. See table below:

Number of
Individuals
.....Difficulty
1-2...................Very Easy
3-20..................Easy
21-100..............Moderate
101-1,000..........Difficult
1,001-10,000......Very Difficult
10,000+.............Heroic

This power may be kept 'up'.
Time to Use: Several rounds to minutes.
Required Skills: Con 5D or Persuasion 5D depending on what the character is trying to do.
Effect: While characters are networked by the Inspire power, they are working towards the same goal with great fervor and determination. This gives a +1D modifier to Willpower and Perception checks to resist attempts to dissuade them. Furthermore, combined action attempts are two steps easier. Characters networked will automatically follow the orders of person whose authority is honored and if the orders are not in conflict with those ideals already presented.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the character force sensitive? Have you considered an advanced skill instead? Might be more appropriate if the character is not a force user.

You could also use a specialization of persuasion or perhaps command. I'm not sure of the exact book, but I believe Palatine has the specialization Persuasion: Oration. Seems like something like that would be the kind of thing this character is trying to achieve; however, specializations of persuasion seem a little weak given the RAW (the point of the skill is to get someone to do what you want, so specializing in a "type" of speech just lets you do the same thing for 1/2 CP).

What effect is the player trying to achieve? Bonuses to the skill rolls of individuals, or being better at commanding combined action attempts (or both)?

A possible effect comes to mind as a simplistic solution:

Have the player roll the relevant skill (persuasion, perhaps). The difficulty would depend on the relationship to the target, as well as the circumstances of the task. If successful, the target(s) get a number of free CPs that must be spent within a certain amount of time (before the end of the scene/encounter/battle) or they are lost without effect.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. This sounds like more of a Command ability than Persuasion since you're helping the party coordinate and succeed. Having a Force-user do this would just lead to all sorts of trouble. Also, the limited duration CP's are an ideal boost reflecting the temporary nature of the task.[/i]
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I don't appreciate the effort here, but wouldn't you get the same general effect from Enhanced Coordination?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Not that I don't appreciate the effort here, but wouldn't you get the same general effect from Enhanced Coordination?

Similar to, but no.

The character is Force Sensitive. I too had thought of making Command, Con, or Persuasion rolls as well, but he specifically wants the group to be more focused and working effectively towards the goal. Again, similar to a D&D bard. He also wants to be able to use Affect Mind.

How would you rule on this by using just the skills?

I have decided that he can do these two things eventually and that he does not need training, though he has to pay the double cost, as this is a specific manifestation of the Force in the character and he will not be gaining additional powers. Perhaps very minor ones as related to the character concept.

Added
The player has pasted me some specific things. He indeed wants to play a bard in Star Wars. Here are the "powers" he would like to emulate. As an aside, I have told him I am no sold on the idea of making a flowery feel-good speech translating into a skill modifier, especially to combat skills. Ideas and suggestions?

Inspire Courage (Su): A 1st level bard can use his performance to inspire courage in his allies (including himself), bolstering them against fear and improving their combat abilities. To be affected, an ally must be able to perceive the bard’s performance. An affected ally receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls. At 5th level, and every six bard levels thereafter, this bonus increases by +1, to a maximum of +4 at 17th level. Inspire courage is a mind-affecting ability. inspire courage can use audible or visual components. The bard must choose which component to use when starting his performance.

Inspire Competence (Su): A bard of 3rd level or higher can use his performance to help an ally succeed at a task. The ally must be within 30 feet and able to see and hear the bard. The ally gets a +2 competence bonus on skill checks with a particular skill as long as she continues to hear the bard’s performance. This bonus increases by +1 for every four levels the bard has attained beyond 3rd (+3 at 7th, +4 at 11th, +5 at 15th, and +6 at 19th).

Inspire Greatness (Su): A bard of 9th level or higher can use his performance to inspire greatness in himself or a single willing ally within 30 feet, granting extra fighting capability. For every three levels a bard attains beyond 9th, he can target one additional ally while using this performance (up to a maximum of four at 18th level). To inspire greatness, all of the targets must be able to see and hear the bard. A creature inspired with greatness gains 2 bonus Hit Dice (d10s), the commensurate number of temporary hit points (apply the target’s Constitution modifier, if any, to these bonus Hit Dice), a +2 competence bonus on attack rolls, and a +1 competence bonus on Fortitude saves. The bonus Hit Dice count as regular Hit Dice for determining the effect of spells that are Hit Dice dependent. Inspire greatness is a mind-affecting ability and it relies on audible and visual components.

Inspire Heroics (Su): A bard of 15th level or higher can inspire tremendous heroism in himself or a single ally within 30 feet. For every three bard levels the character attains beyond 15th, he can inspire heroics in one additional creature. To inspire heroics, all of the targets must be able to see and hear the bard. Inspired creatures gain a +4 morale bonus on saving throws and a +4 dodge bonus to AC. The effect lasts for as long as the targets are able to witness the performance. Inspire heroics is a mind-affecting ability that relies on audible and visual components.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not entirely sold on the idea, but your update addresses my biggest reservations (specifically, that the power had a very narrow scope). There are rules in D6 Space for Metaphysics powers have increased/decreased Difficulty due to having spoken or somatic components; perhaps that could be applicable here, that the power can still be used without song or spoken word, but at increased Difficulty.

EDIT: Maybe it could be ret-conned that Qui-gon was silently using this power on Anakin during the pod race...

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would also be a good counter to my Psychological Effects House Rule, with the character giving his fellows bonuses to resist the effects of fear or anger.

Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The practical impact on the game sounds a great deal like Enhanced Coordination or Battle Meditation. I could see this as a weaker version of either power.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

Added
The player has pasted me some specific things. He indeed wants to play a bard in Star Wars. Here are the "powers" he would like to emulate. As an aside, I have told him I am no sold on the idea of making a flowery feel-good speech translating into a skill modifier, especially to combat skills. Ideas and suggestions?

Inspire Courage (Su): A 1st level bard can use his performance to inspire courage in his allies (including himself), bolstering them against fear and improving their combat abilities. To be affected, an ally must be able to perceive the bard’s performance. An affected ally receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls. At 5th level, and every six bard levels thereafter, this bonus increases by +1, to a maximum of +4 at 17th level. Inspire courage is a mind-affecting ability. inspire courage can use audible or visual components. The bard must choose which component to use when starting his performance.

Inspire Competence (Su): A bard of 3rd level or higher can use his performance to help an ally succeed at a task. The ally must be within 30 feet and able to see and hear the bard. The ally gets a +2 competence bonus on skill checks with a particular skill as long as she continues to hear the bard’s performance. This bonus increases by +1 for every four levels the bard has attained beyond 3rd (+3 at 7th, +4 at 11th, +5 at 15th, and +6 at 19th).

Inspire Greatness (Su): A bard of 9th level or higher can use his performance to inspire greatness in himself or a single willing ally within 30 feet, granting extra fighting capability. For every three levels a bard attains beyond 9th, he can target one additional ally while using this performance (up to a maximum of four at 18th level). To inspire greatness, all of the targets must be able to see and hear the bard. A creature inspired with greatness gains 2 bonus Hit Dice (d10s), the commensurate number of temporary hit points (apply the target’s Constitution modifier, if any, to these bonus Hit Dice), a +2 competence bonus on attack rolls, and a +1 competence bonus on Fortitude saves. The bonus Hit Dice count as regular Hit Dice for determining the effect of spells that are Hit Dice dependent. Inspire greatness is a mind-affecting ability and it relies on audible and visual components.

Inspire Heroics (Su): A bard of 15th level or higher can inspire tremendous heroism in himself or a single ally within 30 feet. For every three bard levels the character attains beyond 15th, he can inspire heroics in one additional creature. To inspire heroics, all of the targets must be able to see and hear the bard. Inspired creatures gain a +4 morale bonus on saving throws and a +4 dodge bonus to AC. The effect lasts for as long as the targets are able to witness the performance. Inspire heroics is a mind-affecting ability that relies on audible and visual components.

I, personally, would handle this by allowing the character to have the ability to GIVE other players CPs.

Based on his own skill at 'Rousing speech'.

Something like: the character must spend 1 CP to use this skill.

If the goal of the speech is accomplished, he gets this CP back.

Roll result:
Easy: One subject gains a CP for use in accomplishing the goal of the speech.

Moderate: One subject gains 2 CP for the use in accomplishing the goal of the speech, or several subjects each gain 1 CP for use in accomplishing the goal of the speech.

Difficult: Several subjects gain 2 CPs for use in accomplishing the goal of the speech, or 1CP is gained by every subject involved in the goal of the speech.

The bonus character points gained by the subjects can be spent on any roll that is part of the task or mission and comes from the inspiration gained by the 'bard'.

The goal should have some clear objectives with a recognizable win/lose end state. The CPs can be saved until needed.

ie the bard gives a rousing speech to all of the pilots gathered in a hangar that are going to be involved in a massive space battle the next morning; by achieving a difficult roll, all of the pilots will have 1CP they can use to augment a roll some time in the battle. One might use it at a critical moment to attack, another to defend etc.

Or, for the same difficulty, the bard might single out a small group, like maybe the PCs; who might be tasked to fly down a trench and make a precision attack. They would each get 2CPs to use on any roll during that mission.

If the battle was a success, the Bard gets his 1 CP expenditure back. If it was not, he is out the CP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: