The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Other WEG RPGs?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Other WEG RPGs? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expensive? Try $3,210.80 and up on Amazon. Yeah, I don't want a copy that bad. Easy to see why it's not available in other formats, too.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Expensive? Try $3,210.80 and up on Amazon. Yeah, I don't want a copy that bad.

No one is going to buy that. Even rich people have better things to spend $3200 on. I paid about 1% of that price for my copy!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

No one is going to buy that. Even rich people have better things to spend $3200 on. I paid about 1% of that price for my copy!

Even more ironic: the seller's name is Half Price Books.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

I have several HPBs in my city and visit one of them almost monthly. I've noticed that since TFA was about to come out, employees of Half-Price Books recategorized WEG Star Wars books from out-of-print books for an old game to collectible. I have several copies of R&E floating around my house, and I have given a few more away as gifts. It had a $30 retail price, and I only paid that for my original new copy I bought in 1996. Every other copy came from HPB for no more than $14.98. At least one of them had that original half-price and a markdown sticker over that for $9.98. And some of these may have been bought with coupons or during special sales for up to 50% off their price sticker.

In 2015 these started seeing these with a $50 price at HPB and I stopped buying them. Not that all players of the game come to the Pit, but here were are certainly in the position to see a trend of an sudden renaissance of people getting into WEG SW. Sure, there have been a handful. FFG's Star Wars RPG is the third top selling RPG in the world (behind D&D and Pathfinder), so they are obviously getting a lot of SW RPG business from the Disney franchise. It really pisses me off that Half-Price Books thinks it is ok to charge $50 for R&E. It drives people to illegal bootlegs. But even if the books sits on the shelf for a lot longer, someone must be eventually paying $50 so they feel they are justified for putting that price on it.

I bought my copy of IJ Adventures a few months after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out and it wasn't $3000. Unlike R&E, IJ Adventures probably is a true rarity. It probably had no reprints so whatever is out there is from the original printing of it. There were only a couple WEG IJ products released after it (back to the masterbook system) so the game probably didn't sell well. A simple reality of this day and age is that brink and mortar stores are experiencing a lot of competition with online sales. I know that when I am in a store, I get out my phone and look for online prices to compare. This ebay listing may be just a scheme to sell in-store copies for a steep price because whatever price they put on it will look very favorable to a $3200 price online.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not WEG but it *is* D6 based: Breachworld!

Written by Jason Richards, it has a lot in common with early Rifts, where technology was generally lower and communities more scattered.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

I have several HPBs in my city and visit one of them almost monthly. I've noticed that since TFA was about to come out, employees of Half-Price Books recategorized WEG Star Wars books from out-of-print books for an old game to collectible. I have several copies of R&E floating around my house, and I have given a few more away as gifts. It had a $30 retail price, and I only paid that for my original new copy I bought in 1996. Every other copy came from HPB for no more than $14.98. At least one of them had that original half-price and a markdown sticker over that for $9.98. And some of these may have been bought with coupons or during special sales for up to 50% off their price sticker.

In 2015 these started seeing these with a $50 price at HPB and I stopped buying them. Not that all players of the game come to the Pit, but here were are certainly in the position to see a trend of an sudden renaissance of people getting into WEG SW. Sure, there have been a handful. FFG's Star Wars RPG is the third top selling RPG in the world (behind D&D and Pathfinder), so they are obviously getting a lot of SW RPG business from the Disney franchise. It really pisses me off that Half-Price Books thinks it is ok to charge $50 for R&E. It drives people to illegal bootlegs. But even if the books sits on the shelf for a lot longer, someone must be eventually paying $50 so they feel they are justified for putting that price on it.

I mean, if you're going to call yourself half-price books, then I can give you the benefit of the doubt of adjusting for inflation. The MSRP of the R&E in 2018 would be about $60. So, charing $30 wouldn't be absolutely crazy.

I had Peter Schweighoffer sell me a handful of Indiana Jones books, including the Indiana Jones Adventures, for about $50. All signed! If it really is worth $3K (which it isn't), then I'd be sitting on a small fortune. Between them all, I could pay off my car and student loans.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I mean, if you're going to call yourself half-price books, then I can give you the benefit of the doubt of adjusting for inflation. The MSRP of the R&E in 2018 would be about $60. So, charing $30 wouldn't be absolutely crazy.

I doubt the price they paid for them when they bought them off someone was based on inflation, but I could be wrong. They could decide what they are going to sell if for when they buy it and give you some standard %.

No, charging $30 for R&E would not be unreasonable for a place called "Half-Price Books". But if you are going to sell them for $50-$60, then they should change the name of the store to "Full Inflated Price Or slightly Less." Not as catchy.

Remember, these books are used. If they are worth more because of inflation, fine. But they are worth less because they are used. None of the $50+ copies I see for sale are in brand new condition. If I ever found one in brand new condition for sale at Half-Price Books, I'd probably cry a little out of sadness of that book never having been used in the 22 years of its existence.

The fact of the matter is, they were only charging $14.98 for used copies of R&E all the way until 2015 when hype was building for the return of Star Wars to the theaters. Inflation didn't drastically spike at that time. So I can accept that $14.98 was a great deal and maybe they could have been charging more before 2015, but $50-$60 is too much for used books, even with inflation. The only thing it's "half" of is $100-$120.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I totally agree that it has nothing to do with inflation, and everything to do with cashing in on an hype spike. I was just kind of wondering aloud as to what I could justify if I were a half-price book seller.

eBay actions are actually pretty interesting indicators of interest and general market pricing. Check all the "sold" items, and it tells a story of general market interest. You can find some going for close to $50 used, and one as low as $10. But it looks like people are willing to part with $25-$35 for it as a current trend.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HPB is great! So long as you stay out of the collectible section, most of their stuff is 50% off cover or more. Now if you want the "ultra-rare signed platinum chromium cover limited edition" that's going to cost you. Laughing

I'm sometimes amused and dismayed by the collectible prices charged not only at HPB but in general, but in most cases it's either what the market will bear or it will be at some point. Never underestimate what some rabid fan or uninformed relative will pay for anything. I have seen a lot of HPB merch disappear between visits, especially when they do 40-50% off anything sales and they have dozens of stores so they're doing something right.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, HPB is doing something right. My city has 5 stores.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone play TORG? I'm interested in trying it, I'd love to hear your opinions.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Anyone play TORG? I'm interested in trying it, I'd love to hear your opinions.

When it first came out, I played it a few times with a few high school friends. One of my Star Wars players (who was also my D&D2e and Cthulhu GM) owned TORG and ran it for us. It was a neat concept but I remember not caring for the game system much. I have no memory of what type of PC I even played, and I only remember that one of the other players played a Native American character. Before we could get a campaign trucking, we all went our separate ways off to college and I never played with those guys again. Unfortunately I have no other memories of the game whatsoever and no helpful opinions. In 2014 I bought the original game box but that was really a waste because I have no interest in playing the game. I also have one cosm sourcebook (The Nile Empire) and that has provided a little inspiration for a setting on a Star Wars planet I created.

TORG was billed as a cinematic game with larger than life heroes. TORG's game system was the basis for the game system of Shatterzone (a non-Star-Wars space opera setting) which was in turn the basis of the Masterbook system, WEG's attempt at having a multi-setting game system other than D6 (Masterbook settings included the original WEG Indiana Jones game). Masterbook is a very deadly system, much grittier and less cinematic than D6. I played it as Indy himself and died the first time I was shot at. As I stated above in the thread, Masterbook sucks. But I can't really compare the Masterbook game system to TORG because my knowledge of the game system evolution comes from reading about it, not from any memories of playing TORG itself. I wish I could help more.

You can check out D6 Online for it's TORG forum for discussions about TORG. D6 Online used the be the WEG Fansite which used to be the WEG Fan Forum which was the official unofficial successor to the official WEG Forums (I was there for all these transitions). The forum user "Kansas Jim" is the author of the Revised & Expanded update to the game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
S-Foil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preface: I have a huge collection of WEG books and systems.

I mostly played Star Wars but I have a bunch of other WEG books and played at least a few sessions of their other games. My friend was big into Torg but I hated the game. The Torg/Masterbook system is awful and the Torg game is just a metagame slog. You've got to have a ridiculous amount of lore stuffed into your brain to just start a game. The setting had some interesting bits but I didn't feel it made for a fun game.

I've got all the Ghostbusters books and it's a great system for beer and pretzel one-shots. Indiana Jones suffered from the Masterbook system in the early books. After Indiana Jones Adventures the books had Masterbook and D6 stats. IJ worked way better as a D6 game and I played a fun though short Lost World campaign with it. The Dark Continent book had a really interesting set of rules for magic for D6. Men in Black was sort of interesting as a setting and the D6 system worked but I never got any games of it going.

The D6 Legend system from Hercules and DC Universe I did not really like. I don't think the D6 system scales up to superheroes well. The DC Universe splats were well done but I never felt the system matched. MSH and DC Heroes handled the logarithmic scale of superheroes better I think. If you ever have the chance to buy the generic D6 Rulebook, skip it. That book is awful. Such a waste.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-Foil wrote:
The D6 Legend system from Hercules and DC Universe I did not really like. I don't think the D6 system scales up to superheroes well. The DC Universe splats were well done but I never felt the system matched. MSH and DC Heroes handled the logarithmic scale of superheroes better I think.

I also wasn't a fan of the success-based D6 Legends system either. Have you seen Khepera Publishing's officially-licensed D6 Powers? It took superheroes back to D6 proper. I haven't had a chance to play it, but it seems like it would work much better.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
S-Foil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
S-Foil wrote:
The D6 Legend system from Hercules and DC Universe I did not really like. I don't think the D6 system scales up to superheroes well. The DC Universe splats were well done but I never felt the system matched. MSH and DC Heroes handled the logarithmic scale of superheroes better I think.

I also wasn't a fan of the success-based D6 Legends system either. Have you seen Khepera Publishing's officially-licensed D6 Powers? It took superheroes back to D6 proper. I haven't had a chance to play it, but it seems like it would work much better.

I have seen in but have not had a chance to play it. Reading through it I like that they did for powers but I don't know how it would play at the table. I doubt it would play worse than DC Universe did at the table. To be fair part of DC Universe's problem was the splats focused heavily on stats for existing DC characters rather than help players build characters of their own. So you had the system's inability to honestly have Batman and Superman side by side and supplements that tacitly told you to do just that in your games.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: