The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What was your first RPG?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> What was your first RPG? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moldvay/Cook B/X D&D, although I moved on pretty quickly to AD&D mostly through playing Pool of Radiance on my old Apple IIC. Pool of Radiance was also the first computer game I ever beat, aside from beating the Flagship level of GORF on an even older Commodore Vic-20.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
Moldvay/Cook B/X D&D, although I moved on pretty quickly to AD&D mostly through playing Pool of Radiance on my old Apple IIC. Pool of Radiance was also the first computer game I ever beat, aside from beating the Flagship level of GORF on an even older Commodore Vic-20.

This post about computer RPGs takes me back to playing Ultima Underworld 1 back in the day. I recently purchased all the Ultima games from GOG.com a few months back for a grand total of like $25 or something ridiculously cheap in that vicinity. Gawds, I love buying a bunch of old-but-still-great video games for a buck or two each. Buying them when they're on sale is just icing on the cake.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember playing NetHack in '89. ASCII art! Playing as the Tourist class was always fun.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 30 years ago, I got to play AD&D at the dinner table of my senior patrol leader, Andy Nuxoll. I had two characters... a fighter and a mage. We played twice, once with my mage accidentally sending most of our party to sleep while fighting xvarts, and the second time, every door we opened had a flying dagger, to the point where we made fun of the trap being so common in that dungeon.

Then my mom found the character sheets and flipped her s***. We had to go underground, playing a bunch of other games, plus some D&D (which was my big love). In high school, I pulled out my D&D books and my Palladium Fantasy books (which my mom was OK with), and pointed out that her anti-D&D stance was silly, since she had no trouble with PF, which had a class literally given over to demon worship AND stats for Satan (with 666 HP), while D&D had "Wizards" and "Clerics without anything specific about their religion unless you want to do that."

I now do freelance game design work, in addition to a library day job.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit OT, since it's not about my first RPG, but it's kinda-sorta-meta-related to my first RPG session of AD&D. I just got into Pathfinder Society Play and was in a couple of sessions in the last week. It's more map-and-minatures combat simulator stuff than actual roleplaying, but it's still fun and reminds me of my old D&D days, especially since Pathfinder is designed to be backwards-compatible with d20 D&D.

Now I have a question for anyone on these forums who has played Pathfinder: I'm trying to decide what class to make my self-generated PC. I'm trying to decide between an Investigator, a Swashbuckler or a Gunslinger. His character concept is that he's an adventurer from Andoran (perhaps the only dedicated democracy nation-state on the entire planet of Golarion) who's trying to spread the good word about democracy and freedom. Oh, and he hates slavers. Anyone have any recommendations as to which of the three above classes he should play?

(And if this needs to be moved to a separate thread, please go ahead.)
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first RPG was West End's Star Wars.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:

Great choice! Very Happy Which edition?
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

Great choice! Very Happy Which edition?

First edition.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We started at the same time in 1993:
1) Warhammer 1 ed. (still playing, new characters)
2) AD&D (not playing)
3) Star Wars 2nd ed. (still playing, the same original characters)
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:

Those characters are old enough to rent a car!
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! And old enough to get a break on the car insurance...If they still do that. I haven't been 25 for a long time.

Props for keeping your original characters around. That takes dedication and a lot of effort to keep the campaign from getting stale.

Just out of curiosity, did any of your Warhammer characters retire, or did they succumb to the forces of chaos?
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Darklighter79 wrote:

Those characters are old enough to rent a car!

What started as typical SW swash-buckle/western action adventure in time has evolved (somehow) to a family saga, as main characters have their own children now. Will of the Force, I guess. Wink

Pel wrote:
Just out of curiosity, did any of your Warhammer characters retire, or did they succumb to the forces of chaos?

Just first character - "retirement" by ascension to godhood
Then all other died in battles with Chaos.
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D&D 3.5E was my first RPG. Good time. I have the core books, but since 5E came out, haven't played any 3.5E as all my groups have switched to it and when I ran a game myself.

5E felt as a better choice for new player in how it reduces the amount of bookkeeping and has less rules which also helps GMing as you don't have to make as many on-the-spot rulings on some 4-pages grappling situation or something.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.5 was very complicated, but I like what they've done with 5E. It's easier but still engaging.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already mentioned my first RPG, but now (even though this is technically off-topic) I want to mention that I just recently got back into table-topping again. OuttaWindu just mentioned 3.5 D&D as his first RPG, which reminded me of D&D 3.75, AKA Pathfinder. 8) My latest RPG is Pathfinder; I just joined the Pathfinder Society last month and already got my Swashbuckler to Level 8 (I got lucky with getting to play 3 modules in a row in three days; each module awards a whole level so I managed to add three levels to my character in three days!)

I have to say, I wasn't that big a fan of fantasy RPGs but Pathfinder is just so rich a setting that I'm enjoying it immensely. My next character is going to be a Gunslinger (I just gotta figure out the ins and outs of the class now...)

I wasn't familiar with the D20 system before, but it's also starting to grow on me. (Having to have 5 different types of dice is still annoying, though...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: