The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Would you allow this character in your game?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Would you allow this character in your game? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
garhkal wrote:

So a starting character at 3d in each, by logic should have 9 powers total. Not 21...

We argued this out last year in this thread. RAW 2E R&E states you can learn one power for every pip you improve a force skill after 1D. RAW makes no distinction between learning those skills at character creation or as you play the game. .

Actually You said "The learning additional powers is an extrapolation. Would you guys allow it"..

You stated your opinion, i showed what the book said. You then seem to ignore it.. Thinking what You 'extrapolated' must be BTB..
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I did a great deal of additional research after this thread started, summed up in this thread. You voiced your concerns there as well. One quote we did not discuss explicitly is from page 141 of the R&E.

2E R&E p141 wrote:
Note: A character may be taught a new power each
time a Force skill is improved one pip.

Force Powers: A character may be taught a new
power each time a Force skill is improved one pip. The
new power is chosen by the teacher and must use the
improved Force skill

You may be taught a power each time a skill is improved 1 pip.

Google Dictionary wrote:
used to refer to every one of two or more people or things, regarded and identified separately.
"each battery is in a separate compartment"

The word "each" does not allow for exclusion based on when the character learns the power.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
2E R&E p141 wrote:

improved Force skill

Google Dictionary wrote:
used to refer to every one of two or more people or things, regarded and identified separately.

The word "each" does not allow for exclusion based on when the character learns the power.

Character creation rules only states that you learn 1 power for each of the first 1D to the force skills.

Depending on what teacher you have you can be thought as much as one power per pip there after, however if you count the number of powers of most super uber master Windus then you see they are far form one power per pip them selves.

A trained force user is by raw only trained in whatever powers his/her master knows and choose to teach them.
A non trained force user will have great difficulty in leaning powers through meditating on the force alone, however he can learn ANY pwer this way.

Now any trained character can also learn the additional powers through his meditation, but since some fluff actually matter, then it would be less time for any free studies and more time learning from the master.

However the "may be" thought to me here screams "with GM approval"
as i would find it trange that any and all padawans were thought powers at the rate on one per pip, but some "may" have been or "may" be thought by a master.

That being said, you can really get by and do "anything and everything" with only a handful of powers, it is all in how you choose them and which ones you use to fit your character concept best.
It is more the number of Dice in the force skills that makes you powerful than the number of powers you may know somewhat how to theoretically use if maybe when and only at a certain time if.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Sorry, I did a great deal of additional research after this thread started, summed up in this thread. You voiced your concerns there as well. One quote we did not discuss explicitly is from page 141 of the R&E.

2E R&E p141 wrote:

improved Force skill

Google Dictionary wrote:

Fine, let's look at the definition of May..
Quote:
auxiliary verb, present singular 1st person may, 2nd may or (Archaic) may·est or mayst, 3rd may; present plural may; past might.

(used to express possibility): It may rain.
(used to express opportunity or permission):

No where there, do i see that it IS or WILL be done.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've emphasized GM approval throughout the thread, hence why I put may in bold. I would have stated it again, save for fear of becoming redundant again.

I've been redundant before. Many, many times.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
I've emphasized GM approval throughout the thread, hence why I put may in bold. I would have stated it again, save for fear of becoming redundant again.

I've been redundant before. Many, many times.

When you seem to emphasis the "by the raw" on it, that certainly makes it seem like you are stating it has to be, not merely its' GM approval"..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: