The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What was your first RPG?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> What was your first RPG? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
(Having to have 5 different types of dice is still annoying, though...)

I'd hate to see what you think of the DCC RPG. I like it so much I got rid of my old pile of DnD books!
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
(Having to have 5 different types of dice is still annoying, though...)

I'd hate to see what you think of the DCC RPG. I like it so much I got rid of my old pile of DnD books!

...Wait, what? You got rid of old gaming books? What possessed you to do that? Why would you throw old books away?

(And what's up in that illustration on Page 11 with that dragon...thingie shooting fire out of its fist instead of its mouth?)

And Tauntaun, you weren't kidding about needing the different types of dice: d3 – d4 – d5 – d6 – d7 – d8 – d10 – d12 – d14 – d16 – d20 – d24 – d30 for the entire dice chain??? YEESH. (How does one roll a d5 or a d7 anyway? At least the d3 I can understand: just roll a d6 and count 4, 5, and 6 as 1, 2, and 3.)

Oh gawds, it uses a dice roll system for character creation, not a point buy system!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo....
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that, actually. I had the AD&D 2E PHB and DMG, and the Monstrous Compendium Vols. 1 and 2 (in the big binder with the funky dividers), all of which I gave to my cousin when I turned about...what...15? I'd never gotten to use them, and I figured maybe he'd enjoy them.

Hung on to my 1E and B/X stuff, tough, just because I thought "It might be worth something some day!" Little did I know it'd be worth something to me!
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the mistake of giving away a lot of my AD&D 2nd books and then spent years rebuilding the collection. About the only ones I still read are the Encyclopedia Magicka. Love those books.

Never gave away the Star Wars books, though. Took me long enough to get them all and no way am I parting with these treasures. Might be buried with them, but you'd think I'd know all the rules by now. Wink
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

...Wait, what? You got rid of old gaming books? What possessed you to do that? Why would you throw old books away?

It was a bunch of like 3.5ish edition stuff I'd never used much anyway. Put it all in a big pile of junk to take down to the gaming store to trade for store credit.

I think my whole official DnD collection now consists of:
Circa 2005 DnD Start Set that came with 16 minis and some maps
Harbinger DnD miniatures booklet and more maps, with a ziploc of minis of that general era, plus one huge mini and all associated cards
Ravenloft and Ashardalon boardgames with all the minis swapped for identical sculpted pre-painted WOTC ones and I *think* I have DnD cards for most of those.

Plus a small stack of 1980's Dragon Magazines and a copy of the old THAC0 era blue "Advanced Game" book. It belonged to my dead uncle who played it with us even though our parents banned DnD. Inadvertently ensuring our lifelong obsession with tabletop gaming.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Plus a small stack of 1980's Dragon Magazines and a copy of the old THAC0 era blue "Advanced Game" book. It belonged to my dead uncle who played it with us even though our parents banned DnD. Inadvertently ensuring our lifelong obsession with tabletop gaming.

RIP your rebellious gaming uncle. Nice legacy he left you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
I made the mistake of giving away a lot of my AD&D 2nd books and then spent years rebuilding the collection. About the only ones I still read are the Encyclopedia Magicka. Love those books.

Never gave away the Star Wars books, though. Took me long enough to get them all and no way am I parting with these treasures. Might be buried with them, but you'd think I'd know all the rules by now. Wink

I'd consider picking up the 2e PHB and DMG, and maybe the Monstrous Compendium or the Monstrous Manual, but beyond that...yeah, probably not. I'd skip most of the splatbooks and player's options.

But at this point, I'd probably just try to cherry-pick this or that rule or structure from 2e and mold it into part of a 1e game.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:

I'd consider picking up the 2e PHB and DMG, and maybe the Monstrous Compendium or the Monstrous Manual, but beyond that...yeah, probably not. I'd skip most of the splatbooks and player's options.e.

FWIW, you can usually find the PH and DMG in used book stores. And Drivethru RPG has a lot of them in PDF fairly reasonably, and a bit more for POD. (PH, DMG, MM)

For my part, I think I've sold my entire Palladium collection a couple times, sometimes rebuilding parts of it. I think the biggest regret I have selling is my Shadowrun 3e collector's game book. I shoulda kept that.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

RIP your rebellious gaming uncle. Nice legacy he left you.

Yeah he was dying of throat cancer and didn't tell anyone, died last summer, aged 57, maybe a couple months or so after I named a kid after him. That's called timing.

Over the years I've played various editions of DnD but prior to 3 or 3.5, I only really ever owned various starter boxes. Someday I might try and re-acquire some of those. The one from around 1998 was really fun. You found Ironstone's dog!

Sutehp wrote:
YEESH. (How does one roll a d5 or a d7 anyway?

You go buy a 5, 7, 14, etc. sided plastic die of course. They are kinda rare but they're around. I suspect the makers of DCC wanted to intentionally simulate how D20, D4 etc were hard to find back in the day. Even hard bitten gamers have to go on a side-quest in real life, to get these dice. Genius move.

The character generation is the best system I've ever found! Yes the stats are random BUT! You get 4 randomly created characters who have awful stats, 1D4 hit points each, and few real weapons. 2 to 5 players therefore set off with an angry mob of 8 to 20 villagers who are storming Frankenstein's Castle so to speak. By the end of the first game, anyone smart and lucky enough to still be standing goes up to a level 1 adventurer and gets a marked increase in HP along with getting Class abilities. Though you begin generally ill-equipped, beginning modules are usually well stocked with weapons, and of course, as the night goes on, you inherit lots of things from fallen comrades. By the end you have a real character, with a halfways organically developed backstory. It's pretty awesome.

The rules are great. It seems like they intentionally wrote it in such a way as to require houseruling stuff in order to resolve some encounters. It's the best fantasy roleplaying game I've found that's currently being printed. Someone told me about it, and I always wanted to try it. Then they were giving away a complete starter rulebook with two modules for Free RPG Day. I got it, played a game with it, and was immediately impressed enough to buy the big book.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like an Only War intro from 40K. I do like the idea of not giving the players anything, including their starting class. You want to be an adventurer? Well, you have to earn it. Makes sense, after all. Everyone comes from somewhere.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
It sounds like an Only War intro from 40K. I do like the idea of not giving the players anything, including their starting class. You want to be an adventurer? Well, you have to earn it. Makes sense, after all. Everyone comes from somewhere.

You roll 6 stats at 3D6 each and get 1D4 hp and I think 3D6 copper pieces. Almost everything costs 1 or more silver so buying stuff isn't really an option at first. Then you basically roll for your astrological signs, which can have certain stat bonuses/penalties, and roll up 1 random piece of gear such as chalk or rope.

The best part is when you roll a profession, most of which are ordinary medieval fantasy trades such as farmer, mercenary, dwarven rat catcher, elven tailor, etc. This determines most of your starting gear which invariably includes some sort of weapon. The rat catcher has a club, the tailor has scissors which count as a dagger, the farmer gets a pitchfork which counts as spear, etc. You also get a bunch of plausible items relevant to your job and which might be of use in the adventure.

For example the farmer gets a randomly generated piece of livestock and sack of randomly determined produce. Why did the chicken cross the hallway? To check for traps!

The best character I ever had for that game was a barley farmer. He had a really high strength stat making him the de facto fighter of the group, and so when he'd kill monsters I'd recite short poems about how barley is superior to other grains. The DM rewarded this amply. Eventually I had him beat up my mercenary to steal his starting armor because it was clear which of my characters I wanted to survive the longest.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
The character generation is the best system I've ever found! Yes the stats are random BUT! You get 4 randomly created characters who have awful stats, 1D4 hit points each, and few real weapons. 2 to 5 players therefore set off with an angry mob of 8 to 20 villagers who are storming Frankenstein's Castle so to speak. By the end of the first game, anyone smart and lucky enough to still be standing goes up to a level 1 adventurer and gets a marked increase in HP along with getting Class abilities. Though you begin generally ill-equipped, beginning modules are usually well stocked with weapons, and of course, as the night goes on, you inherit lots of things from fallen comrades. By the end you have a real character, with a halfways organically developed backstory. It's pretty awesome.

The rules are great. It seems like they intentionally wrote it in such a way as to require houseruling stuff in order to resolve some encounters. It's the best fantasy roleplaying game I've found that's currently being printed. Someone told me about it, and I always wanted to try it. Then they were giving away a complete starter rulebook with two modules for Free RPG Day. I got it, played a game with it, and was immediately impressed enough to buy the big book.

Good gawds, it sounds like something out of "The Purge" or "Battle Royale" (neither of which I've seen, admittedly). I don't think I'm quick-witted enough for my character to survive such a thing. It probably reflects badly on me to say this, but I think I'd rather go the traditional "home-invasion-of-a-chaotic-evil-subterranean-race-because-I'm-a-murder-hobo-player-character" route. Less risk that way. But that's just me.

TauntaunScout wrote:
For example the farmer gets a randomly generated piece of livestock and sack of randomly determined produce. Why did the chicken cross the hallway? To check for traps!

That reminds me of something I found the other day while researching how to play Pathfinder: the log rogue. Just take a simple 5 or 10 lb. log and roll it down a hallway to check for traps. It should be heavy enough to activate most, if not all, traps. If nothing happens, you just grab your log and keep walking. If a trap activates, you're only out the cost of a log.

TauntaunScout wrote:
The best character I ever had for that game was a barley farmer. He had a really high strength stat making him the de facto fighter of the group, and so when he'd kill monsters I'd recite short poems about how barley is superior to other grains. The DM rewarded this amply. Eventually I had him beat up my mercenary to steal his starting armor because it was clear which of my characters I wanted to survive the longest.

Oh dear gawds, now you're emulating "The Purge" and "Battle Royale" by killing off your own player characters! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Last edited by Sutehp on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Oh dear gawds, now you're emulating "The Purge" and "Battle Royale" by killing off your own player characters! Shocked Shocked Shocked

I didn't kill him! I just punched him out by making opposing STR rolls and stole his armor!

Mercenaries are about the only class to start with "good" equipment, a sword and I think ring maille or something. By then my barley farmer had found a battleaxe and done some awesome stuff, I wanted to keep him around!

And don't worry. Anyone who survives the first game graduates as a full fledged spelunking-murder-hobo. Usually the intro mission (they've published a few different ones) boils down to this: You are villagers who know there is a haunted castle/mysterious tomb/whatever on the edge of town and you arm yourselves and go risk your lives hoping to loot your way out of being poor working stiffs.

Hot p**s! Log Rogue sounds like a good class!
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Hot p**s! Log Rogue sounds like a good class!

Yeah, I was surprised at how many really cheap and useful items there are for a destitute Lvl 1 player character that can be gotten for less than 11 gold pieces (in Pathfinder Society Play, which I just started last month, the starting gold is just 150 gp). Unfortunately, I forgot to bookmark the webpage mentioning the log rogue (it's a bummer that it's not on the page I linked), but at least I still remembered enough to tell you about it.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a Log Rogue. Way cheaper than using trained livestock and easier than convincing another player to be your trap test dummy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: