The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

West End Games D6 2e is coming! (Zorro)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> West End Games D6 2e is coming! (Zorro) Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject: West End Games D6 2e is coming! (Zorro) Reply with quote

https://www.gallantknightgames.com/west-end-games-d6-system-second-edition/

Quote:
The Core of OpenD6

When deciding to do a new edition of the D6 System, there are a few key points that must be considered first. What are the guiding design principles of D6 and what are the essential identity elements a new revision & edition must have?

Our design team felt that the core of the classic D6 System can be distilled down to a few core elements:

Fistfuls of D6s.
    The core D6 idea of rolling lots of d6s is key to the game. The core resolution of “roll against TN” task resolution is essential in maintaining the feel of the game (as is the Wild Die). Losing that feel would violate one of the core tactile experiences you get from D6 System!
Moderate Crunch
    D6 System is a game closer to simulationist than narrative, best defined as “moderate crunch”. Streamlining the game is acceptable, but the game should remain recognizable and maintain a similar level of complexity at the deepest level (the core idea being complexity, not complication).
Lots of Customization
    D6 is flexible and can run a variety of genres. It’s easy to customize and adapt the D6 System engine to all sorts of amazing games!

Quote:
Updates to the D6 System
Character Creation – Streamlined...
Complexity, not Complication...
(Even More) Modular and Optional Rules...
Update Language...

I'm really interested in seeing what they come up with after all the intensive playtesting of many WEG D6 games.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of it sounds good and I'm likewise intrigued. I find 'streamlining character creation' puzzling since creating a D6 character is pretty easy already.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Most of it sounds good and I'm likewise intrigued. I find 'streamlining character creation' puzzling since creating a D6 character is pretty easy already.

Exactly! With templates, you can create a character ready to play in 1-2 minutes. The news blog states, "Templates are absolutely essential to this process, as is updating and streamlining the freeform chargen processes." So I'm guessing the streamlining is mostly in reference to the freeform chargen process.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:

I took this to mean that they were going to dial things back from the way that the D6 S/F/M was set up. That was some convoluted character creation methods. It was all advantage/disadvantage selection. Never really liked it.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I took this to mean that they were going to dial things back from the way that the D6 S/F/M was set up. That was some convoluted character creation methods. It was all advantage/disadvantage selection. Never really liked it.

S/F/M? What's that? Was it part of the OpenD6 books?

Also, I'm guessing this is an update of the current D6 books that Nocturnal has for sale? I don't have any, but they are reasonably priced and mention "15 years of refinement".
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
S/F/M? What's that? Was it part of the OpenD6 books?

Also, I'm guessing this is an update of the current D6 books that Nocturnal has for sale? I don't have any, but they are reasonably priced and mention "15 years of refinement".

He's referring to D6 Space, D6 Fantasy, and D6 Adventure. D6 Space is WEG's Star Wars D6 3rd Edition core book, minus the Star Wars product IP of course. The other two are genre conversions of the D6 Space system. cheshire is probably correct that they were referring to the freeform char gen system in these books which is very heavy in advantages/disadvantages/special abilities.

Despite Nocturnal selling them for $3 each, they are OGL and available for free here (scroll down to above the rancor). I recommend taking a look at D6 Space. I have found some inspiration there for my Star Wars game system.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Despite Nocturnal selling them for $3 each, they are OGL and available for free here (scroll down to above the rancor). I recommend taking a look at D6 Space. I have found some inspiration there for my Star Wars game system.

Care to elaborate and share what you've found most inspiring?
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Whill wrote:
I recommend taking a look at D6 Space. I have found some inspiration there for my Star Wars game system.

Care to elaborate and share what you've found most inspiring?

Off the top of my head, some of the inspirational things are some special abilities/advantages (but not the whole system), some skills and skill scopes/names, a metaphysical attribute for The Force, FPs being named Fate Points, Strength Damage, Miscellaneous Damage chart, Wounded Twice being renamed Severely Wounded, Incapacitated wound status details, Die Code Simplification chart, and PC templates.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the D6 Fantasy as the basis of a three campaigns. I houseruled a lot of things, but I liked the Body Points system as opposed to the R&E's damage system. But we also houseruled the ability to buy more body points with CPs. IIRC we said that one additional Body Point would cost 1 CP per 10's digit of your current Body Points. So, if you had 15 BPs, then an additional BP costs 1 CP. If you had 23, it would cost 2. If you had 37 it would cost 3, and so on. Max 3 additional BPs per session.

We also thought the scale rules were a bit easier to implement. Though with so many levels, we sometimes forgot to implement them on a regular basis if one of the characters was a slightly smaller scale than the others.

I think we used the strength damage rules as written.
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: West End Games D6 2e is coming! Reply with quote

Oh yes, this is great news.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: D6 2nd Edition Reply with quote

OuttaWindu wrote:
The Kickstarter got funded in under 30 hours, which was a supprise for me considering it starts to be a bit obscure system these day(Especially because the D6/OpenD6 communities arent that large).
Pel wrote:
They're starting with Zorro because it's the centennial anniversary. I had no idea it went back that far. Anyway, yes the Kickstarter is funded, but while it's tempting, I can't see paying $60 for the physical book. That's just silly. If they're charging $60 now, what in the name in Don Diego is this thing going to retail for?!? The $15 PDF option sounds reasonable, though.

I was going to post about Zorro (and pledge in the kickstarter) but I've been ill this week so haven't gotten around to it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I find it to be a curious setting for the game, but it looks like the designers had their inspiration, and that's the direction they're going with D6. I'm planning on backing the pdf so I can get a look at the rules mechanics. Though I'm not planning on dropping $60 on a setting I'll probably never play.

I'm hoping to see some updated skills, and an explanation of their narrative options for D6.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Zorro Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Yeah, I find it to be a curious setting for the game, but it looks like the designers had their inspiration, and that's the direction they're going with D6. I'm planning on backing the pdf so I can get a look at the rules mechanics. Though I'm not planning on dropping $60 on a setting I'll probably never play.

I'm hoping to see some updated skills, and an explanation of their narrative options for D6.

I just saw the Zorro Kickstarter this week and can't believe it got funded so quickly with a goal of $15,000! Why is this so popular? Could this mean that the Purgatory D6 failed because of the lack of a strong setting? Gamers don't want general toolkit build-your-own game systems?

I am a bit confused about the announced D6 "2e" and this Zorro game. The new D6 announcement makes no mention of Zorro. Is the new D6 system also going to be released separately in a genre-general format, or will it only be available in games with settings? I asked Gallant Games directly on Facebook, so we'll see if they answer.

I find Zorro to be a somewhat curious choice to relaunch the D6 system, but I don't at all question whether Zorro would be a good fit for D6. Zorro is a precursor to Batman. Zorro is pulp adventure! D6 is perfect for Zorro. If I ever produce a non-Star-Wars RPG, it would probably be Pulp Adventure/Golden Age Superhero game I've had in mind for years. Zorro is one of my inspirations.

Anyway, as much as a love hardcover RPG books, I also couldn't justify the $60 but wanted in on this so pledged $15 for the digital copy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're releasing snippets of the rules in their updates. There is insinuation that this is only one of the settings, and they're planning on future setting books with the D6 2e rules. So, the strong setting may very well be the model they're going with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: